Author Topic: Jake Jake Jake!  (Read 3190770 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Jake Jake Jake!
« Reply #2530 on: February 26, 2007, 03:25:03 pm »
If she got rid of the feathers at the bottom there, it'd be a beautiful dress!  :)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2531 on: February 26, 2007, 03:58:16 pm »
If she got rid of the feathers at the bottom there, it'd be a beautiful dress!  :)

Yeah, but it does have the feathers and that's what wrecked it, IMO.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #2532 on: February 26, 2007, 04:45:32 pm »
Yeah, but it does have the feathers and that's what wrecked it, IMO.

L

actually the feathers worked in action. not in that pic, but as she walked out to present, the feather gave the dress a light etherial flow. she looked really amazing.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2533 on: February 26, 2007, 05:31:57 pm »
actually the feathers worked in action. not in that pic, but as she walked out to present, the feather gave the dress a light etherial flow. she looked really amazing.

Well, that's good to hear...I missed that. Thanks for the info, Starboard!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2534 on: February 27, 2007, 01:25:57 am »
Heya!

Just finished watching Jake on Letterman!  :laugh:  It was a good interview I thought... Jake seemed very comfortable.  It's interesting that there was no mention of BBM at all.  I was annoyed at the "Oscar-nominated" intro for him (although I'm sure that will be standard for him from now on).  Why not introduce him as "the BAFTA winning" actor?  ::)   

The whole thing about the "Bu" and the Palisades was funny. :laugh:

I need to watch Letterman more often.  The Stupid Human tricks totally cracked me up.  I'm in sort of a giggly mood tonight, so maybe it just struck me the right way tonight.
 :laugh:
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline ranchgal

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2535 on: February 27, 2007, 02:28:44 am »
Because in the USA Oscar nominated means more prestige than Bafta winner, a lot of Letterman's crowd wouldn't know what Bafta is---and it is the one thing that he will always be noted for, EVERY actor that is nominated is referred to like that in most introductions until they become an Oscar Winner, then the introduction changes to: (insert name),  __ time Oscar nominee and winner for ??? whatever character/movie.
It is part of that which makes them a legend, and furthers their hype.
And it reminds everyone that he has left a stamp on American movieland forever-by his talent, and the work.

I never realized how dry his sense of humor could be, he and Letterman actually seemed very similar in their reactions tonight, and I thought it was great.  I think Dave was trying to draw him out into telling alittle bit more about the fire, one article I read at the time said that Jake was pretty heroic during the whole thing, but Jake really downplayed his role tonight--DL must have read one of the same articles I did.  LOL
But they really seemed to play off each other very well---and ganged up on Paul S--I thought that was riot.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 02:31:51 am by ranchgal »

Offline opinionista

« Reply #2536 on: February 27, 2007, 08:08:34 am »
Here's Jake making an entrance to Letterman's studio in New York

« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 08:16:40 am by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2537 on: February 27, 2007, 09:20:14 am »
Yes, it definitely went very well.  I liked the whole Yellow Fever thing, too.  Very cute.  And of course Jake looked GORGEOUS.  That photo doesn't begin to do him justice.  Is he actually getting better looking?  I didn't think it was possible.  It was almost painful to look at him.  But I soldiered through like the trouper that I am...

I loved their interplay, too, especially when Jake goes kind of as an aside to David, "It's kind of awkward, isn't it?" (referring to Paul) and David goes "Some nights are more awkward than others."  I've always found Paul profoundly annoying, so I thought it was funny as hell that he was the butt of some jokes, but it was good-natured joking, so it wasn't hard to watch.

Hell, nothing Jake does is hard to watch, is it?  As a matter of fact, I can think of a couple of things in particular I'd like to watch him do...   :-*

« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 09:23:27 am by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2538 on: February 27, 2007, 10:01:25 am »
The bitchy post-Oscar clothing critique had this to say about Kirsten's frock (from MSN)

Kirsten Frumps: Somewhere, Norman Bates glowers as he wonders how Kirsten Dunst got hold of the dress he planned to put on mother (and slip on himself on those nights when he's feeling particularly stabby). The adorably snaggle-toothed actress is ready for her close-up -- as a cemetery-wandering corpse that's come creepily back to life -- in a persnickety silvery-blue sequined Chanel that seems more moth-eaten than modish. The fussy, unflattering frock is a failure, from the tip of the bygone Peter Pan-by-way-of-"Little House on the Prairie" collar to the bottom of the plumage-sprouting Sin City showgirl hemline. Also doing Kirsten few favors are her Hawaiian Punch-stained lips, a bangs-heavy 'do and morbid makeup that gives her youthful visage the same bloodless pallor it had in "Interview With the Vampire."

These types of commentaries are always good for a laugh...

moremojo

« Reply #2539 on: February 27, 2007, 10:35:02 am »
Did anyone else catch Jake's reference to staying with a friend at the other lodge at the time of the frightening fire that endangered his family? My impressionable mind races (could this friend have been named Austin by any chance?).

I agree that Jake was quite charming and witty. He really seems like a great human being.