Author Topic: Jake Jake Jake!  (Read 3200549 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Jake Jake Jake!
« Reply #4440 on: January 13, 2009, 10:46:05 am »
Good work Chrissi!

It's nice to see Jake looking more like himself again.  No knit cap for the Golden Globes clearly.

I wonder if he's done with the hair extensions completely, or whether he'll have to get the put back in.

I was looking for a youtube of Jake presenting at the GG. No such luck.

But I found pics of it on iheartjake:

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #4441 on: January 15, 2009, 09:49:10 am »
Also saw this one. I don't know if it's already on this thread, but it's so cute

what a beauty!! :o :o
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #4442 on: January 18, 2009, 04:25:58 am »
Also saw this one. I don't know if it's already on this thread, but it's so cute

wow! He looks amazing. Beautiful

Heaven-eyes indeed.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #4443 on: January 19, 2009, 02:54:02 pm »
Fresh off the Obama-izer:

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4444 on: January 19, 2009, 02:57:54 pm »

ok...I just HAVE to comment on this pic again. I showed to my friend yesterday and her jaw dropped to the ground as well.
He is...so freaking beautiful in this pic. He looks so much as he did around the time of BBM too.

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #4445 on: January 27, 2009, 10:53:20 am »
"Brothers"

I happened to come across the original Danish version of "Brothers" in a bargain bin some little time back, and I've just had the opportunity to watch it.

I'm quite embarrassed that I mainly watched it because I was curious about how the story is like that Jake and Toby M. will eventually show up in.

I should have watched it for itself. It's a riveting, good film, tough on the emotions, with lots of quite intense moments - difficult family relations, love and guilt and pain.... and no easy answers at the end. No answers at all - except that life goes on, somehow.

At first I wondered why they would re-film it at all. I figured that apart from the characters speaking Danish, the re-filming would be unneccessary - the film stands solidly on its two legs and should be accessible to Americans and other English-speaking viewers. But then there were some pretty harrowing scenes from Afghanistan and I figured - this is it. The US film version won't be like this. No way. I wonder very much if I'm right in that..

I don't want to spoil anything, which makes it a bit difficult to explain. But Denmark (and certainly Norway) have not come to terms with the fact that we have combat forces in Afghanistan. We view ourselves as thoroughly peaceful nations. "The War" is still WWII, to people here. Everything else isn't war, it's peacekeeping. We have absolutely no tradition of being nationally proud of the armed forces, of soldiers going overseas to actually fight. I imagine this as being one of the distinct cultural differences between the US and Scandinavia. We do have national angst and debates about whether or not to have those soldiers there at all, it reaches right into the government. But pride? However that is, the public don't talk about the Scandinavian participation in the war in Afghanistan much.  We know it's happening, but most people don't know anyone who's actually down there, anyone who's in the army abroad, and so it's allowed to remain a rather theoretical issue. 

I would imagine that also impacts the guys who are actually down there, fighting. I'd imagine it might make a sliver of a difference to Scandinavian soldiers and their families back home, compared to what US soldiers might be experiencing. For one thing, our guys have not grown up in a tradition of the country honouring the army etc. - their experiences once down there must feel all the more surreal for that. And in this film, that might likely add nuances amd differences to how the plot plays out....

Also I feel quite certain Hollywood would want to portray the brother who fights in Afghanistan more -  strong and courageous and heroic - than in this Danish version.

Anyway - it's a good film with a lot of stuff for good actors to use their talents on. Just from the looks of the two Danish guys I'm guessing Jake is the brother who's back with the family in the US and Tobey is the one who goes to Afghanistan? I think they should have gone for a somewhat older guy to play Tobey's role. And of the two, that's definitely the main role.

I'm looking forward to seeing the US version of this. I'm glad there is one decent drama still to look forward to from Jake, acting-wise, - as I consider "nailed" and "PoP" to be mere entertainment fluff.

Have anyone else here seen the Danish film?

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4446 on: January 27, 2009, 11:17:42 am »

Thanks for this discussion of Brothers Mikaela!  I'm vey curious about this film with Jake too... and I love the casting.  It makes perfect sense to me to cast Jake and Toby as relatives.  To me they really look like they could be brothers.  I don't really know anything about it beyond what's on imdb and the discussions about it that have occurred here.  I hope it's a good film... it would be nice to see Jake in another really substantial role.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4447 on: January 27, 2009, 11:37:51 am »
I´ve seen it. It´s really good. If it hadn´t been for Jake and Toby, I probably wouldn´t want to watch the American adaption of it.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #4448 on: January 27, 2009, 12:06:58 pm »
Hey Mikaela,

'Brødre' was on tv here a couple of months ago. I thought it was a really good film, a real actor's movie. Like you I'm very interested to see the american remake of it. Let's hope it's at least as good.

SPOILERS

I had a few objections with the movie. I found it hard to believe that the army would decide so quickly that Mikael was dead, instead of pronouncing him as missing in action. I mean, they obviously didn't find any body.

I thought the movie was a little too focused on the really dramatic scenes. A bit more restraint would have worked, for the remembrance service scene for instance. But maybe that's just me. With scenes like these I'm immediately bawling my eyes out and then I get a bit upset at the director for 'prolonging my misery'...

But restraint was definitely needed with the atrocity scene in Afghanistan. I had read a bit about this movie before watching it, so I knew something was coming up. And I had figured it out pretty quickly. So I told my husband 'right, I'm off to the kitchen, call me when this is over so I can continue watching'. And I have to say, I was surprised at how long I had to wait in the kitchen! My husband said it was pretty awful stuff to watch. Again, I feel that with scenes like these 'less is more'.

The film was at its best in the more intimate scenes, I thought.

And I was just thinking that Heath would have made an excellent older brother.  :-\
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #4449 on: January 27, 2009, 12:16:30 pm »
Thanks for the review of Brothers, Mikaela. Sounds interesting.
Sometimes we Europeans have a hard time figuring out why the Americans bother to do a remake of a movie, huh? I believe in the end it comes down to money; seems most times it does.

Anyway, I haven't seen the Danish version and therefore will be unbiased towards Jake's movie.