Author Topic: Jake Jake Jake!  (Read 3188958 times)

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
Re: Jake Jake Jake!
« Reply #4450 on: January 27, 2009, 12:31:49 pm »
Wow. I'm glad others have seen it! I feel like talking a bit about it- and yes I would warmly recommend this original film to everyone, Danish language or no. It's a very good and thought-provoking film. Both in its strictly intimate relationship portrayals, - be it spouses, lovers, parents and children; and in the depiction of the contrast between outwardly comfortable life in the suburbs in one of the Western European countries and the hell that can play out in the mountains of Afghanistan. And the extreme impact on people who find themselves going from one to the other in no time at all.  :-\

**spoilers**

Concerning the "declaring him dead" thing - I figured that was realistic, given the helicopter explosion and tip into the lake. That was quite sudden and very overwhelming for a (what I assume) modest-budget Danish film. If that was observed by other military personnel, and bits and pieces of flotsam found from the wreckage, I could buy it that they'd think noone survived even if all bodies were not retrieved.

After all, they hadn't declared the other prominently featured captive for dead even though he'd been gone longer, poor soul. (The actor who played that role kept distracting me with his presence because he has had a significant role as a naive and extremely straight-laced cop in Denmark's most popular cop series "Anna Pihl". OTOH, this movie did not feature Mads Mikkelsen among the cast, and I swear that's quite unusual for Danish films these days!!  ;D )

What I struggled most with was the timeline in general - Afghanistan vs. Denmark. The two captives didn't have water for drinking and so I assume they didn't have any opportunity to shave - yet they had no more than a slight stubble once events played out to the dramatic culmination and our man returned home. But back home in Denmark, he'd been declared dead, had a service, life had gone on, his brother and sister-in-law slowly developing rapport....  ??? So how long was he really gone for?

Concerning the most horrenduous scene in the film - I had no idea what I was in for!
I totally expected Mikael to refuse to take part and to have to watch the other guy being beaten to death by the Taliban - and then to be saved himself in the nick of time, only to have nightmares and guilt later over having survived but not having been able to help the other. I did not at all anticipate the gruesomenesss of what happened - I mean, the modern war movies I've seen are all Hollywood stories, I think. Imagine Mel Gibson or Tom Cruise doing *that*. It was difficult to buy it because of my heroic anticipations, but maybe much more realistic all the same than I feel comfortable even contemplating.  :-\

I honestly don't see how a person would *ever* manage to get on in life, after having gone through that. I really, really, really don't.  :-\

I am very curious about whether or not that scene has been sanitized in the US version to present the older brother in a more heroic and less active but (under the circumstances) helpless light. My guess is, they've changed it.

--

Otherwise I very much agree - the more intimate and underplayed scenes worked the best. And that include scenes between younger brother and his sis-in-law, so if that is Jake's role, - I'm looking forward to those. He does do understated emotion well.

All the Danish actors were good I thought - except I thought the two brothers' father was acted with too little subtlety, he became a little too much of a charicature to me both in his relationship with his two sons, and in his sorrow.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #4451 on: January 27, 2009, 01:07:28 pm »
You sure are right that Jake and Toby look very much alike. It will be great tos ee them in the same movie. They are both very good and interesting actors.

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #4452 on: January 27, 2009, 01:16:19 pm »
Remember when Jake was filming "Brothers" and looked so (IMO) scruffy -  with a big beard and all. Now I figure that's in order to all the better contrast the "criminal" no-good one with his squeaky-clean neat-looking upstanding military brother.

And....

**spoiler**

I've been thinking about the other contrast to the opposite effect: The one owning up to what he'd done at last - going to ask his traumatized victim's forgiveness and "even opening a bank account"!

While the other....  :-\ will he ever manage to get that far?

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #4453 on: January 28, 2009, 06:38:56 pm »
"Brothers" did make an impression on me - I've been thinking about it on and off...

The following link goes to a review of the film that I think was good and to the point. It does include some plot spoilers, though.

The review also contains a picture of the two original "brothers" - I guess it's not very hard to guess which one Jake will play?

http://www.reel.com/movie.asp?MID=140680&buy=open&Tab=reviews&CID=13#tabs

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #4454 on: January 29, 2009, 04:31:04 pm »
Possibly my favorite Jake pic ever

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't