Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3791991 times)

yb

Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #2280 on: August 07, 2007, 11:07:43 am »
Maybe this isn't the right place to ask, but if somebody could help out a poor girl who has never been into the whole Batman thing: What is the deal with the Joker's looks? I mean, those scars on both sides of his face that stretch his mouth into the charicature of a huge grin. Has he done that to himself, or has someone done it to him? Or did he have some weird accident?

I need to be up on all this stuff before I eventually see the film. And I'd rather not watch the previous franchise's Jack Nicholson Joker to find out all about it. I'd rather not be comparing, but come to this version with an entirely open mind.

It is not known yet what has caused the scarring.  Unless there will be a leak of the script, I think we can only find the answer in the movie, if Nolan chose to explain it.

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #2281 on: August 07, 2007, 11:20:52 am »
Oh - so that is specific to this version/Heath's Joker? Interesting. I can't imagine it won't get explained in the film somehow. I'll be all patient and wait then. Thanks for explaining.  :)

BTW, some days ago I followed some Batman fans discussion link related to that HL/Maggie G. movie still that has been released, and lots of people were going on about the horror of casting Heath as the Joker. There are so many negative people! I couldn't quite take any of it seriously, honestly - rather I couldn't help snickering at the pathetic inanities. "He can't act!" Yeah right. Ennis acts himself.  ::) "He's only got one facial expression!" Sure. One expression a nano-second, that is.
Anyway, I'm now looking all that much more forward to Heath bowling all such sorry nay-sayers over, as I'm absolutely sure he will.  :)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2282 on: August 07, 2007, 11:54:28 am »
The Joker is Batman's no. 1 arch-enemy and appeared in the very first Batman comic book in 1940. Here's a little history on the comic book Joker (from Wikipedia).

Detective Comics #168 (February 1951) revealed that the Joker had once been a criminal known as the Red Hood. In the story, the Red Hood falls into a vat of chemicals while escaping from Batman. He emerges with white skin, green hair, and a bizarre grin.

Though many have been related, a definitive history of the Joker before the chemical bath has never been established in the comics, and his real name has never been confirmed. The most widely cited backstory can be seen in The Killing Joke. It depicts him as originally being an engineer at a chemical plant who quits his job to become a stand-up comedian, only to fail miserably. Desperate to support his pregnant wife, the man agrees to help two criminals break into the plant where he was formerly employed. In this version of the story, the Red Hood persona is given to the inside man of every job (thus it is never the same man twice); this makes the man appear to be the ringleader, allowing the two criminals to escape. During the planning, police contact him and inform him that his wife has died in a household accident.

Stricken with grief, he attempts to back out of the plan, but the criminals strong-arm him into keeping his promise. As soon as they enter the plant, however, they are immediately caught by security and a shoot-out ensues, in which the two criminals are killed. As the engineer tries to escape, he is confronted by Batman, who is investigating the disturbance. Terrified, the engineer leaps over a rail and plummets into a vat of chemicals. When he surfaces in the nearby reservoir, he removes the hood and sees his reflection: bleached chalk-white skin, ruby-red lips, and green hair. These events, coupled with his other misfortunes that day, drive the engineer completely insane, resulting in the birth of the Joker.

The story "Pushback" (Batman: Gotham Knights # 50-55), supports part of this version of the Joker's origin story. In it, a witness (who coincidentally turns out to be Edward Nigma, a.k.a. The Riddler) recounts that the Joker's wife was kidnapped and murdered by the criminals in order to force the engineer into performing the crime. In this version, the pre-accident Joker is called Jack.

No recounting of the Joker's origin has been definitive, however, as he has been portrayed as lying so often about his former life that he himself is confused as to what actually happened. As he says in The Killing Joke: "Sometimes I remember it one way, sometimes another... if I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!" In Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth written by Grant Morrison, it is said that the Joker's insanity runs so deeply, that he recreates himself every day. He could have a different personality with different quirks and mannerisms whenever he sees fit.

A 2007 story arc in Batman Confidential, written by Michael Green, shows a pre-transformation Joker giving his first name as "Jack". This story shows Jack as a career criminal, specializing in the circumvention of advanced security systems as well as having a skill in murdering that Batman describes as "gifted".

Apparently, "The Dark Knight" is also going to have something about the Joker's backstory and history.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #2283 on: August 07, 2007, 01:46:05 pm »

Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #2284 on: August 07, 2007, 03:18:04 pm »
Leslie -
I actually find that history of the Joker to be incredibly sad... 

Dot-Matrix -
Those are great filming pics - thanks for sharing!

“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline oilgun

« Reply #2285 on: August 07, 2007, 04:39:03 pm »
Has this pic of Heath from I'm Not There  been  posted yet?:

http://www.badtaste.it/images/foto/I'M%20NOT%20HERE1.jpg

« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 09:23:19 am by MaineWriter »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2286 on: August 07, 2007, 04:52:30 pm »

Who is that strange looking man in those pictures? He's looking straight into the camera in the bottom right picture. Maybe it's just the lighting, but he looks very strange... and scary too! Who is he? That's not Heath, is it?

Sorry, but I'm not at all familiar with this movie, and I have no idea who these people are in those pictures.  ???
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2287 on: August 07, 2007, 04:56:38 pm »
Who is that strange looking man in those pictures? He's looking straight into the camera in the bottom right picture. Maybe it's just the lighting, but he looks very strange... and scary too! Who is he? That's not Heath, is it?

Sorry, but I'm not at all familiar with this movie, and I have no idea who these people are in those pictures.  ???

Bottom right picture, the man looking forward, second from the right, is Heath, in full Joker make up.

If you peruse this thread, David, we've posted a bunch of Dark Knight articles...that will get you up to full Batman/Joker speed!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2288 on: August 07, 2007, 04:57:15 pm »
Has this pic of Heath from I'm Not There  been  posted yet?:

http://www.badtaste.it/images/foto/I'M%20NOT%20HERE1.jpg

Thanks, Oilgun...this is a first!

L

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #2289 on: August 07, 2007, 05:19:51 pm »
Leslie, thanks for the wikipedia info. It'll be interesting to see exactly what spin the Dark Knight puts on the Joker's backstory. Can't imagine they won't mix in the poignancy and tragedy of some of those possible storylines with the current craziness. (Also rather like that his original name may have been Jack. Good name.  ;D )

And Dot, thanks for the images. That sure is some scary makeup, very darkish. He looks like death - his face a skull; where Nicholson looked more like a crazed clown (in my opinion based on some images I've seen).

I wouldn't have thought it possible, but I'm actually getting quite exited about the whole Batman thing.  :D

Great I'm not there picture too!  :)