Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3808981 times)

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #2610 on: September 09, 2007, 05:49:40 pm »
Very good point, Dot. I just showed my daughter, the wacky dresser, the picture and asked for her opinion. She immediately said, "Remember what role he is in the middle of right now, Mom..."

L

I read somewhere alluding to the fact that as the Joker Heath will likely be seen in many such costumes... specifically having to do with the striped socks I think...

Ah well, he can come to my house any day of the week... suit, socks, tutus, nothing at all, even!
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2611 on: September 09, 2007, 05:50:16 pm »
Is he still 'in the middle of' the Joker role?  I thought filming wrapped on that.

Filming was scheduled to finish in Chicago on August 31st. They are still filming scenes in Los Angeles and London. I don't know if Heath is in those or not.

The point is, even if he is finished, he may still very well have the Joker in his mind. And he may have the Joker in his mind for the next year since I suspect there will be a huge publicity juggernaut for The Dark Knight until its release next July.

My 2 cents.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
« Reply #2612 on: September 09, 2007, 05:54:52 pm »
one last pipe from me... I don't think he's actually said or done anything disrespectful has he?  (if we momentarily throw out the possibility that sartorial choices can be interpreted as disrespectful)
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2613 on: September 09, 2007, 05:56:41 pm »
Leslie and Dottie, yes, I get your points and I do hope you're right.

However, Venice is an important European film festival and this *is* Venice's equivalent of Oscars night. And for all Heath is an individualist out to express his nervous energy and for all he gets into the role of the moment, he did certainly toe the line and show up at the Oscars in the required tux. He knows how to when he wants to, or has to. So however much it pains me to say so, and however much I hope you are right about the *reasons* for his clothing, - I do continue to find this unneccessarily impolite. (Though also gutsy, as I've said. )

Mikaela--I am not disagreeing with you. And you are right, he shined up quite nicely for the Academy Awards in 2006. But let's also remember, Larry McMurtry showed up for the same ceremony in jeans and cowboy boots.

There was a time where I always made sure to wear what was "expected" at various functions. As I have gotten older, I have become more comfortable with being me and not dressing to meet the expectations of others. In other words, when I go to the Oscars, I won't be wearing ripped jeans--but I won't be wearing 5 inch heels, either. LOL

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2614 on: September 09, 2007, 06:12:30 pm »
In other words, when I go to the Oscars, I won't be wearing ripped jeans--but I won't be wearing 5 inch heels, either. LOL

But I bet you won't be wearing red-and-white-striped socks, either!  :laugh:

Like Mikaela, I'm of two minds on this.

On the one hand, I don't even own a pair of 5-inch heels. Lately, when dressing up, I have started wearing heels that are 2 1/2 to 3 inches, and THAT'S a big deal. I never spend more than $100 on a purse or shoes (generally far, far less) and am appalled that people will pay in the high three and four figures for these things. I shop at places like the Gap, and even then I walk into the store and immediately scan for the SALE racks. In other words, I'm anything but a fashionista.

I do, however, believe in the idea of honoring an important event -- a dinner party, the theater, church (and I don't even go to church!) -- by dressing up for it. When I see an actor on a talk show wearing a suit and tie (for some reason, it seems that actors who do this are almost always British) I immediately like them better. When I see an actor wearing a sloppy T-shirt on a talk show, I like them a tiny bit less. It's like they are showing they don't care -- not about how they look, but about the show or the audience. To me, dressing up shows respect for the event, and for the other people there.

On the other hand, I don't like the idea of enforced rigid conformity. If Heath wants to dress like this, I guess he's 19 (plus), he can do what he wants, hunh?

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #2615 on: September 09, 2007, 06:16:55 pm »
Filming was scheduled to finish in Chicago on August 31st. They are still filming scenes in Los Angeles and London. I don't know if Heath is in those or not.

The point is, even if he is finished, he may still very well have the Joker in his mind. And he may have the Joker in his mind for the next year since I suspect there will be a huge publicity juggernaut for The Dark Knight until its release next July.

My 2 cents.

L

and my 2 cents to go with it  ;)  Since the Joker is one of the main and pivotal characters in The Dark Knight I suspect that Heath is still very much involved and will continue to be until the film wraps completely.  As for him speaking disrespectfully, I think the exact opposite is true, in all the footage I have seen he has been thoughtful, quiet, mature and showing far more patience with the whole process than he ever has in the past. 

Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #2616 on: September 09, 2007, 06:17:59 pm »
. In other words, when I go to the Oscars, I won't be wearing ripped jeans--but I won't be wearing 5 inch heels, either. LOL

L

Before saying anything about Heath, I gotta throw a kiss into your direction, Leslie, for this sentence. Not "if", but when - and not "would", but will (respectively won't).
You go girl!  :-*

Personally, I find his outfit weird and think it is chosen deliberately. But for the reasons? - We all don't know and to be honest, I don't care too much. I certainly don't find it impolite. I personally don't believe in clothes. I wouldn't care when a banker is dressed as a punker and has three needles through his cheeks. I wouldn't care if someone had come in this outfit to my wedding, I do not think we need rules how to dress correctly. I think clothes should have only one purpose: to keep people warm (I know that's not the case in the real world, but that's how I think it should be).

In my mother's childhood, girls were not allowed to wear trousers. We've come a far way from that, but still cling too much to those society set dress codes. Although I do find Heaths outfit weird, I know the reason WHY I find it that, is only because I have learned to think of it as weird.

yb

« Reply #2617 on: September 09, 2007, 06:22:17 pm »
If it's a self-destructive kind of act, IT WORKED !!!!!!

He's lost me thats for sure.......hasnt he ever heard the term....."You dont shit where you eat"

I doubt he has ever got you at all! 

yb

« Reply #2618 on: September 09, 2007, 06:29:20 pm »

Personally, I find his outfit weird and think it is chosen deliberately. But for the reasons? - We all don't know and to be honest, I don't care too much. I certainly don't find it impolite. I personally don't believe in clothes. I wouldn't care when a banker is dressed as a punker and has three needles through his cheeks. I wouldn't care if someone had come in this outfit to my wedding, I do not think we need rules how to dress correctly. I think clothes should have only one purpose: to keep people warm (I know that's not the case in the real world, but that's how I think it should be).

I agree with the bolded part.  Heath has dressed properly, though not really the conventional type, for the previous 2 appearances, it's not as if he had worn short pants to the whole Film Festival; I don't quite understand the whole 'impolite' condemnation.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2619 on: September 09, 2007, 06:30:23 pm »

Before saying anything about Heath, I gotta throw a kiss into your direction, Leslie, for this sentence. Not "if", but when - and not "would", but will (respectively won't).
You go girl!  :-*

In my mother's childhood, girls were not allowed to wear trousers. We've come a far way from that, but still cling too much to those society set dress codes. Although I do find Heaths outfit weird, I know the reason WHY I find it that, is only because I have learned to think of it as weird.

What she said...

L