Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3816403 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #2640 on: September 10, 2007, 11:03:12 am »
OMG, I'm laughing out loud here. Girlz, you are da bomb  :laugh:!

First Leslie:

WESTBROOK, Me (AP). Leslie H. Nicoll, of Westbrook, Maine, USA, headed off to work today in a fetching ensemble consisting of blue denim pedal pushers, a green Maine Public Radio tee-shirt, a black raincoat, and black socks, embroidered with green, yellow, red and blue LL Bean tote bags. Asked about her outfit, Nicoll replied, “Maybe in Sydney Australia they would call this a clanger. I call it haute couture.”

Nicoll was reacting to the international uproar to Heath Ledger’s evening wear choices at the awards ceremony of the 64th Venice International Film Festival. Ledger has raised eyebrows worldwide with his choice of shorts, yellow tee shirt and red and white striped socks. While some have supported his independent fashion “joie de vivre” others have condemned his costume; still others have mused that he may be depressed and not able to make “good choices” in the wake of his recent break-up with Michelle Williams.

Further elaborating on her clothing selections, Nicoll noted that it is raining today in Westbrook. “The raincoat is for functionality,” she said. “The socks are for fun.”

Nicoll urged Heathens worldwide to support their man Heath today by wearing wacky socks and other unconventional sartorial choices. “The way people are carrying on about his red and white socks,” she said, “you’d really think that was a fashion faux pas. I have no problem with the socks—in fact, I think they are sort of cute. Now if he had shown up wearing a jock strap on his head, that would be something to talk about.”

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thank you so much for the laugh Leslie. And more than that, this little piece puts things into proportion.
Maybe we should officially announce September, 10th the "Weird Socks Day". Meryl, Meeeeerrrrrryyyyyyyllllll, do you hear me?  ;)

Now Louise:

...., because there is no other explanation for the striped socks except to remind people of the upcoming release of the film.

Why on earth should red and white striped socks remind anybody of Batman? Admitted, I'm not into Batman at all. But if there is a connection, shouldn't someone have thought of something more obvious, a reference people like me can get? Because the fans of it will know about the upcoming release anyway.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #2641 on: September 10, 2007, 11:19:55 am »
WESTBROOK, Me (AP). Leslie H. Nicoll, of Westbrook, Maine, USA, headed off to work today in a fetching ensemble consisting of blue denim pedal pushers, a green Maine Public Radio tee-shirt, a black raincoat, and black socks, embroidered with green, yellow, red and blue LL Bean tote bags. Asked about her outfit, Nicoll replied, “Maybe in Sydney Australia they would call this a clanger. I call it haute couture.”

Nicoll was reacting to the international uproar to Heath Ledger’s evening wear choices at the awards ceremony of the 64th Venice International Film Festival. Ledger has raised eyebrows worldwide with his choice of shorts, yellow tee shirt and red and white striped socks. While some have supported his independent fashion “joie de vivre” others have condemned his costume; still others have mused that he may be depressed and not able to make “good choices” in the wake of his recent break-up with Michelle Williams.

Further elaborating on her clothing selections, Nicoll noted that it is raining today in Westbrook. “The raincoat is for functionality,” she said. “The socks are for fun.”

Nicoll urged Heathens worldwide to support their man Heath today by wearing wacky socks and other unconventional sartorial choices. “The way people are carrying on about his red and white socks,” she said, “you’d really think that was a fashion faux pas. I have no problem with the socks—in fact, I think they are sort of cute. Now if he had shown up wearing a jock strap on his head, that would be something to talk about.”

:laugh:  :laugh:

Do we get a picture of the socks Leslie?

I'd love to wear wacky socks, unfortunately, I haven't got any  :-\

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #2642 on: September 10, 2007, 11:43:43 am »
Well then, Chrissi, no doubt YOU will make some headlines when you attend the Academy Awards! (Though even balmy Southern California can get cool at night in February, so you might want to at least bring a shawl)!  :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: I will, you just wait and see.  :laugh:
Seriously: Do you never challenge seemingly obvious things? Who in hell decided that clothes are important for more than to protect your body from cold/sunburn? Many thousand years ago there must have been a prehistoric human being that wanted to show off: "So there! My furry coat is prettier than yours!" The neighbour countered with an even prettier and newer furry coat - and the rest is history ( ;)).

Why couldn't women wear trousers 50 years ago? Why can't boys wear pink and skirts/dresses? Why can't a banker wear shorts during summer? Why can't an actor wear bermudas and striped socks for an award show?

This doesn't make any sense apart from following society's rules. But why does nobody question whether the rules themselves make sense?

As social beings living closely together with others, we need rules, laws (call 'em whatever you want) to make a society possible. But do we really need all of them? Do we really need a specific law for chimney sweepers? No, not a joke, this law does exist in Germany.
Do we really need dress codes in order to make living in a larger society possible? What purpose do they fulfill, other than seperating different "classes" of people?

OK, none of this is earth-shakingly important, but because it's kind of interesting (and what else do we have to talk about, anyway? war? poverty? environmental destruction? Nahhh ...).

:laugh: ;)

As humans living in society, we are aware of clothing norms and expectations. We can choose to meet them ... or not. There shouldn't be rigidly enforced "rules" either way. But people who choose not to follow expectations are making a choice, for a reason. They're sending a message, and it's interesting to try to decode what message they have in mind.

If someone appears at a formal event in formal clothes, they're making a statement: I'm willing to follow the traditions associated with this event. If someone else shows up in a T-shirt and jeans, they're also making a statement, though its meaning isn't as obvious. Perhaps they're saying, "I don't care about clothes." Or "For me, comfort is much more important than formality." Or maybe it's "This event thnks it's important, but I don't take it seriously." Whatever it is, they're saying something.

Now what if someone appears at a formal event wearing clothes that aren't just informal but are actually outré -- striped socks, "hell" T-shirt, etc.? That person is really making a statement. Nobody looks into their closet, sees a tuxedo on one side and striped socks on the other and picks the latter because they think it looks better. The question is, what is the statement they are making? Is it:

"Here's what I think of all the fussy formality surrounding these silly awards!"

or

"I'm playing the Joker in a new movie and I'm really getting into the role!"

or

"I'm carefree and madcap and unconventional!"

Or what??!

Like all of us, I don't know it. But interestingly, in Germany nobody took notice of it! I read/saw some articles/news about the award show. Guess what? Most of them didn't mention Heath at all, and if they did, they said only he accepted an award by proxy of Cate Blanchett.
Maybe some yellow press has mentioned it. But that's not the criterion, is it?

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #2643 on: September 10, 2007, 11:49:01 am »
Perhaps he wore the clothes to give his fans something interesting to talk about and debate in the forums. If that was the purpose, he's sure achieved his goal!  ;) 

Instead of the usual "drool, swoon, OMG Gorgeous!!!" comments (which Jake got as always - for his immaculately dressed appearance in Toronto) we're discussing the purpose of clothes and dress code, and the message sent through conforming / deliberately not conforming. Heath knows how to make it interesting and to engage brain cells other than those drool&swoon centers (not that those aren't engaged too!)

This doesn't make any sense apart from following society's rules. But why does nobody question whether the rules themselves make sense?
Well, people do question those rules, many times....and in many ways?  ???

But there's a strong wish in most of us to conform to the expected and the norm.

More than that, though - there's the whole act of balancing making a statement and challenging the accepted norm with upsetting, hurting and/or offending people. You used the example earlier of mentioning that people could wear whatever they wanted to your wedding, you'd not care. But if *you* went to the wedding of people you knew *would* care about superficial appearances; - would you dress up in any old battered set of T-shirt and throusers regardless? Knowing you'd offend and even hurt them, mar their "perfect day" the way they perceive that term? I guess not? There's always the question of whether and when the statement is worth making, - if the cost of making it is not too high.

Using that as an analogy to Heath's appearance s far from perfect, of course -  the people being offended at the awards gala are likely powerful stuffy film execs with much less, if any, personal investment than any bride and groom (and far more calculated financial investment).

Actually, the more I think of it, the more I like his wackyness, if for no other reason it completey serves as a contrast to everyone else and to point out how utterly stuffy all these awards ceremonies are. How everyone shows up to pat each other on the back (or stab each other same place) and it's all about money and less about creativity and film as an art..... people mainly posturing with blazing smiles and appearances that it took stylists and make-up consultants the whole day to complete - enjoying their fame and fortune and congratulating themselves on their success (at least that's the impression I'm firmly left with, especially after watching Oscar night).

No idea if that was what Heath was trying to make a statement about, but if it was I (once more) can't help applauding his guts - even if it was impolite. Perhaps it was playing a major role in the big-buck commercially tuned Batman movie that made him do it, - who knows what kind of politicking and money-discussions go on behind the sets of that kind of mega blockbuster, - probably more than enough to make anyone want to act out a little bit against the corporate suits tuxes.

I'm just thinking aloud, here.

Maybe we should officially announce September, 10th the "Weird Socks Day".

I second that.  ;D

« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 12:26:21 pm by Mikaela »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2644 on: September 10, 2007, 01:11:18 pm »
Seriously: Do you never challenge seemingly obvious things?

Oh, don't get me started!!  :laugh: :laugh: Yes. All the time. Including the clothes issue.

Who in hell decided that clothes are important for more than to protect your body from cold/sunburn?

I think human nature decided this. As long as humans are humans, clothes will always be about more than environmental protection. They can be about competition and status-seeking, as you point out. They also can be about aesthetic expression, personal expression, self-decoration, role playing, signaling authority or social group or political views ...

Why couldn't women wear trousers 50 years ago? Why can't boys wear pink and skirts/dresses? Why can't a banker wear shorts during summer? Why can't an actor wear bermudas and striped socks for an award show?

They can! It's not against the law. There are customs, but people are not obligated to follow them. It's just that breaking clothing customs, like other social customs, carries social consequences. People will notice you look different and talk about it, as we are. Most people who drastically breech customs are OK with that -- that's usually at least part of the reason they do it. After all, wearing red-striped socks is no easier or more comfortable than wearing neutral solid-color socks. So if you choose the red-striped ones, knowing that they're not customary, you probably have a reason for it. So the question is not, why isn't anyone allowed to wear red-striped socks to a formal event? They are, of course! Nobody kicked Heath out. The question is, why did he choose to do it, knowing people would consider it unusual?

But why does nobody question whether the rules themselves make sense?

Obviously some people do, such as Heath!  :)

Do we really need dress codes in order to make living in a larger society possible? What purpose do they fulfill, other than seperating different "classes" of people?

Well, that is one important purpose. Society dames and bikers and fashion models and punk rockers and business executives adopt different forms of dress partly to signal who they are, what social group they belong to, who they identify with, what they believe.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 01:36:11 pm by ineedcrayons »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2645 on: September 10, 2007, 01:19:53 pm »

:laugh:  :laugh:

Do we get a picture of the socks Leslie?

It's a little awkward looking since I was taking a picture of my own feet!

and for those who don't know what it looks like, here is the LL Bean boat and tote:

I'd love to wear wacky socks, unfortunately, I haven't got any  :-\

Now you have a reason to go shopping! Remember I bought Hannah Tintin socks? LOL

L
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 01:25:37 pm by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #2646 on: September 10, 2007, 01:58:17 pm »
From the vibration of the floorboard on which they both stood Ennis Ang could feel how hard Jack Heath was shaking.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #2647 on: September 10, 2007, 02:03:31 pm »
Heath Ledger continues a sartorial tradition...

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #2648 on: September 10, 2007, 02:04:37 pm »
Happy Weird Socks Day!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #2649 on: September 10, 2007, 02:16:12 pm »

Looking again, this reminded me of this: