Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3807523 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #6460 on: September 06, 2008, 12:00:57 pm »
I'm asking myself what other people (non Heathens, non Brokies) think. If they actually like the character of the Joker? If Nolan (and Heath) meant it to be that way? It's somehow schizophrenic, there's the Joker, blowing up half of Gotham City (think only of the pencil scene!) - but we like him ::).

I'm sure Christopher Nolan was aware of the Joker's likability as Heath developed the character and rejoiced to see it.  Great villains are beloved by moviegoers, and some in my experience, like Hannibal Lechter,  Khan (Star Trek), Gollum (Lord of the Rings), Norman Bates (Psycho), the Terminator and even the Wicked Witch of the West, are also likable.  The common factor, I think, is that they're not villains for villainy's sake, they just believe in their agenda.  People respect that and secretly cheer them on.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline carolina

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • it could be like this. just like this. always.
« Reply #6461 on: September 06, 2008, 04:38:30 pm »
Oh, and a little sidenote I wanted to share: directly after the movie people came out, talking about it. A young couple walked by me and the guy said: "The Joker really deserves an Oscar."
Without going into that discussion whether I agree or not, the comment made me smile. :)

Aw, that's nice.  I went to see TDK for the third time last night and was soooooo upset as people were leaving and the chick in front of me said something along the lines of "I don't really care that much that he died since he was just self-medicating with illegal drugs, it was his own fault."  Wow, I was two seconds away from beating this woman up, I was so angry.  How does someone say that?  I was just horrified and still rather sad about it, how heartless people can be...  I mean, I fully respect the fact that not everyone in the world loves Heath as much as we all do, but what about common decency?

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6462 on: September 06, 2008, 05:52:07 pm »
Aw, that's nice.  I went to see TDK for the third time last night and was soooooo upset as people were leaving and the chick in front of me said something along the lines of "I don't really care that much that he died since he was just self-medicating with illegal drugs, it was his own fault."  Wow, I was two seconds away from beating this woman up, I was so angry.  How does someone say that?  I was just horrified and still rather sad about it, how heartless people can be...  I mean, I fully respect the fact that not everyone in the world loves Heath as much as we all do, but what about common decency?

I am so with you on this one. I look at the you tube tributes and some of the comments leave me aghast.No one will ever know the full truth, chances are he just took one to many of one of the drugs.It really can be that tragic.My son very nearly died from a reaction to one of his prescribed meds.

Anyway I digress, people should heed the phrase, if you can't think of something nice, then say nothing.Particularly when the person can not defend themselves.
I often think how will Matilda feel when she is older reading all the rubbish.
People talk dreadful rubbish sometimes. My husband was telling one our customers about the amount of staff theft we have,The customer replied, I hate thieves, only one thing I hate more and that's gays !!!!
Quick as a flash my husband responded, well there's only one thing I hate more and that's bigotted, sanctimonious ,homophobes!!! Curiously he had no answer to that, my husband reckoned he was still trying to work out whether he wa being insulted or not!!!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #6463 on: September 06, 2008, 05:57:49 pm »
This week Heath is the cover story of a magazine in Germany.
 :) and  :-\ :(

We're talking about it on the 1000+club thread, but I also wanted to post the pic of the cover here:

I translated the article. It's over in the Heath Remembrance Forum.
Here's the link: http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,16718.90.html

Offline Gabreya

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6464 on: September 06, 2008, 11:37:34 pm »
Happy weekend, Heathens!

CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH, YOU HEATHENS ARE JUST WONDERFUL!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #6465 on: September 07, 2008, 04:35:33 am »
Good morning Heathens :)

I think the dark girl is Rachel Griffiths from Six Feet Under and Brothers&Sisters. I just looked her up on IMDB and saw that she was in NK with Heath :o. Never noticed her in the movie.
Anyway, the pics are from some aftershow party in 2002.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #6466 on: September 07, 2008, 04:56:18 am »
I'm sure Christopher Nolan was aware of the Joker's likability as Heath developed the character and rejoiced to see it.  Great villains are beloved by moviegoers, and some in my experience, like Hannibal Lechter,  Khan (Star Trek), Gollum (Lord of the Rings), Norman Bates (Psycho), the Terminator and even the Wicked Witch of the West, are also likable.  The common factor, I think, is that they're not villains for villainy's sake, they just believe in their agenda.  People respect that and secretly cheer them on.

Hm. True that great villains often steal the show and get some kind of cult status. For their coolness, for their superior intellect or whatever.
And people (secretly) admire their non-conformance, their refusal to play by the rules, them having the guts to do so. Especially compared to their own life. Who wouldn't sometimes just want to break out, say f' you! to their boss, to paying the bills, to nagging family members :laugh:.

But I think that's different from actually liking the villain. I wouldn't say I find one of your examples likable (of those I know, never seen LOTR or Wicked Witch of the West).

But the Joker? Ehm, yes, I like him, can't help it ;D.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6467 on: September 07, 2008, 11:03:07 am »
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #6468 on: September 07, 2008, 11:25:15 am »
Intéressant, indeed interesting pictures!

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #6469 on: September 07, 2008, 08:17:14 pm »
Yeah, I kind of like him too but I wonder if I would if it wasn't Heath. His joker is charming and funny in his own psycho way but I don't know how much I would have tuned into that if another actor was in the part.

O0

Heathen