Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3846162 times)

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #2630 on: September 10, 2007, 12:08:53 am »
I have always known about the Tall Poppy Syndrome in Australia, look how the media ripped apart Ian Thorpe!  Funny how it’s always the Australians who are the first to condemn their fellow Aussies!  Lucky that I know there are still Australians who are proud of Heath.  What is so UN-Australian of Heath!  Well, if he got on the red carpet naked, maybe I would feel embarrassed for him.  To me, it’s his performance that counts most, not how he dresses. 

I don't generally feel embarrassed for people unless they themselves act embarrassed...

;)

He seemed just fine.

Now, when Miss teen South Carolina made her internet debut about U.S. geography, I did think, "Gee, I hope the cracks about stupid southern Blondes are kept to a minimum..."  As in I didn't want to hear generalizations about the level of education of southern women.  So... I can see being potentially concerned about perceptions related to Heath's representation of Australia...  but, well, it's just Heath wearing what he wants to wear, nothing to be embarrassed about for anyone, imo.  He's not carrying the flag at the Olympics or attending a global summit...   And you know, even if he was, who really cares (at least he's not getting arrested for drunk driving every other week! or lying to the public regarding the necessity of war!)...

I keep trying, and failing, to bow out of this discussion gracefully...

Sorry...  back to picture posting...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 12:19:39 am by notBastet »
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #2631 on: September 10, 2007, 12:16:20 am »
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #2632 on: September 10, 2007, 02:13:12 am »

Aaaah, much, much better! Thanks for that.  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2633 on: September 10, 2007, 06:24:14 am »
He's not carrying the flag at the Olympics or attending a global summit...   

Actually, I posted a picture of Hugh Jackman over on the Hugh Hugh Hugh! thread. Apparently, he hosted the Cultural Showcase at the end of the APEC 2007 summit. He was wearing a jacket and white shirt, no tie. I am sure all the world leaders in the audience were more dressed up. Are people getting wound up about Hugh's lack of a tie?

Heath, just so you know, I love you. And I love your red and white socks. Maybe in your honor, today I'll wear my socks that have little LL Bean tote bags embroidered all over them. LOL

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2634 on: September 10, 2007, 06:48:23 am »
Is that the way they spell 'waist' in Australia?

Interestingly, it is spelled "waist" in the picture caption but "waste" in the text.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22388644-5001026,00.html

Oh copy editor! This way please....

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

yb

« Reply #2635 on: September 10, 2007, 06:56:18 am »
Interestingly, it is spelled "waist" in the picture caption but "waste" in the text.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22388644-5001026,00.html

Oh copy editor! This way please....

I hope it's a typo, otherwise I would think it's their play of word to trash Heath!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2636 on: September 10, 2007, 07:11:24 am »
WESTBROOK, Me (AP). Leslie H. Nicoll, of Westbrook, Maine, USA, headed off to work today in a fetching ensemble consisting of blue denim pedal pushers, a green Maine Public Radio tee-shirt, a black raincoat, and black socks, embroidered with green, yellow, red and blue LL Bean tote bags. Asked about her outfit, Nicoll replied, “Maybe in Sydney Australia they would call this a clanger. I call it haute couture.”

Nicoll was reacting to the international uproar to Heath Ledger’s evening wear choices at the awards ceremony of the 64th Venice International Film Festival. Ledger has raised eyebrows worldwide with his choice of shorts, yellow tee shirt and red and white striped socks. While some have supported his independent fashion “joie de vivre” others have condemned his costume; still others have mused that he may be depressed and not able to make “good choices” in the wake of his recent break-up with Michelle Williams.

Further elaborating on her clothing selections, Nicoll noted that it is raining today in Westbrook. “The raincoat is for functionality,” she said. “The socks are for fun.”

Nicoll urged Heathens worldwide to support their man Heath today by wearing wacky socks and other unconventional sartorial choices. “The way people are carrying on about his red and white socks,” she said, “you’d really think that was a fashion faux pas. I have no problem with the socks—in fact, I think they are sort of cute. Now if he had shown up wearing a jock strap on his head, that would be something to talk about.”

yb

« Reply #2637 on: September 10, 2007, 07:20:01 am »
Ha, ha, ha, Leslie, you're my hero!

While Heath is criticized by some people for his choice of wear, the Batman fans absolutely loved it!  I guess that makes him a real 'clown'.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #2638 on: September 10, 2007, 07:38:37 am »
there is a very intensive media advertising campaign afoot involving the Joker character for the upcoming release of "Dark Knight" including a scavenger hunt that took place recently in San Diego.  It is clear that Heath is most likely under contract to participate in the media campaign, because there is no other explanation for the striped socks except to remind people of the upcoming release of the film.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2639 on: September 10, 2007, 10:40:32 am »
I personally don't believe in clothes ...  I think clothes should have only one purpose: to keep people warm

Well then, Chrissi, no doubt YOU will make some headlines when you attend the Academy Awards! (Though even balmy Southern California can get cool at night in February, so you might want to at least bring a shawl)!  :laugh: :laugh:

OK, none of this is earth-shakingly important, but because it's kind of interesting (and what else do we have to talk about, anyway? war? poverty? environmental destruction? Nahhh ...).

As humans living in society, we are aware of clothing norms and expectations. We can choose to meet them ... or not. There shouldn't be rigidly enforced "rules" either way. But people who choose not to follow expectations are making a choice, for a reason. They're sending a message, and it's interesting to try to decode what message they have in mind.

If someone appears at a formal event in formal clothes, they're making a statement: I'm willing to follow the traditions associated with this event. If someone else shows up in a T-shirt and jeans, they're also making a statement, though its meaning isn't as obvious. Perhaps they're saying, "I don't care about clothes." Or "For me, comfort is much more important than formality." Or maybe it's "This event thnks it's important, but I don't take it seriously." Whatever it is, they're saying something.

Now what if someone appears at a formal event wearing clothes that aren't just informal but are actually outré -- striped socks, "hell" T-shirt, etc.? That person is really making a statement. Nobody looks into their closet, sees a tuxedo on one side and striped socks on the other and picks the latter because they think it looks better. The question is, what is the statement they are making? Is it:

"Here's what I think of all the fussy formality surrounding these silly awards!"

or

"I'm playing the Joker in a new movie and I'm really getting into the role!"

or

"I'm carefree and madcap and unconventional!"

Or what??!