Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3846106 times)

mvansand76

Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #4590 on: March 21, 2008, 02:57:59 pm »
I still keep hoping that Jake will come through with some kind of lovely gesture.  Maybe he's just taking his time on this for some reason.

It's what I hope too, Amanda....  :-\

Although, for a lot of people it would come too late, as in 'the damage has been done'.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #4591 on: March 21, 2008, 03:13:08 pm »

Although, for a lot of people it would come too late, as in 'the damage has been done'.

I just keep wondering why Jake isn't more aware of this... or more pro-active about this.  I mean in terms of awareness of his career and public image, I'd think Jake would be considering all of this carefully (above and beyond the real and personal aspects of this loss).  I mean, Heath was a massive part of advancing Jake's career... and even on a professional level, it only seems reasonable to expect some kind of acknowledgment (even just based on concepts of etiquette).

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

mvansand76

« Reply #4592 on: March 21, 2008, 04:32:53 pm »
I just keep wondering why Jake isn't more aware of this... or more pro-active about this.  I mean in terms of awareness of his career and public image, I'd think Jake would be considering all of this carefully (above and beyond the real and personal aspects of this loss).  I mean, Heath was a massive part of advancing Jake's career... and even on a professional level, it only seems reasonable to expect some kind of acknowledgment (even just based on concepts of etiquette).

It's exactly what I've been wondering about....  :-\
Couldnt have said it better....

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #4593 on: March 21, 2008, 05:19:39 pm »
I don't find it weird at all.  We look at Jake through the lens of Brokeback, and I doubt very much that Jake, or Jake's fans, would ever claim that Heath was a large part of Jake's success in his career.  He had a successful career before Brokeback.  I just don't understand why because we tie Jake and Heath together through our appreciation of the film, that it seems so "odd" that Jake does not seem to have a Heath-centered life and has not made a public statement to satisfy us.  He is clearly keeping his opinion to himself, and that is undoubtedly because he wishes not to discuss it.  I know a lot of people who when they have suffered the death of a family member or close friend, do not discuss it with anyone because it is too painful.  Why isn't Jake allowed that same courtesy ?
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4594 on: March 21, 2008, 06:59:28 pm »
I don't find it weird at all.  We look at Jake through the lens of Brokeback, and I doubt very much that Jake, or Jake's fans, would ever claim that Heath was a large part of Jake's success in his career.  He had a successful career before Brokeback.  I just don't understand why because we tie Jake and Heath together through our appreciation of the film, that it seems so "odd" that Jake does not seem to have a Heath-centered life and has not made a public statement to satisfy us.  He is clearly keeping his opinion to himself, and that is undoubtedly because he wishes not to discuss it.  I know a lot of people who when they have suffered the death of a family member or close friend, do not discuss it with anyone because it is too painful.  Why isn't Jake allowed that same courtesy ?

I just see this differently.  Jake received his Oscar nomination because of BBM, he won his BAFTA award because of BBM, etc.  Brokeback, I think is undeniably his most important film to date (and who knows... it may end up being his most significant film ever).  Yes, Jake had a film career prior to BBM, but nothing compared to the opportunity that BBM provided in terms of making a great film... it's the kind of serious film with the kind of critical clout that will provide Jake many, many more opportunities in the future for serious roles (to a degree that older films of his wouldn't have provided).  BBM was Jake's breakout role in terms of serious cinema.  And, maybe more significantly, BBM will stand as Heath's most significant film since his oeuvre is now closed (I'm sure Dark Knight will be good, but it seems unlikely that a Batman movie would or will rise to the same level as something like BBM).  So, Jake's relationship to Heath's most important film is another element to consider in all of this.

And, the success of Jake's own performance in Brokeback was entirely dependent on playing off of the strength of Heath's performance (and vice versa).  Thinking of this issue in terms of professional courtesy (leaving aside any speculation about real friendship) it seems only fitting, from my perspective, that Jake would be the first one or among the first of many colleagues to be lining up to mark Heath's passing.

We've now seen a lot of Heath's other colleagues feel compelled to do this... to want to offer a eulogy or a statement.  So, Jake's continued silence just comes across as odd (to me, and I think to many others). 

And to me, it doesn't make sense to risk alienating Brokeback fans for Jake.  Whether or not we agree with what's going on... there is a rift and turmoil in the Brokeback fan base over this.  It's just simply happened and I, for one think it's tremendously sad and perplexing.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 12:07:46 am by atz75 »
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4595 on: March 21, 2008, 07:48:58 pm »

That is such a good word to use,  Etiquette,  no matter how he is grieving (and we will never know).Sometimes you need to be seen publically to be doing the right, or done thing.When a fellow actor./co star dies, it is the done thing usually to issue a statement.
There are plenty of examples in life when we all have to do things we may not want,purely because it is expected of us,or perceived as the right thing to do.

I keep comming back to what would Heath have done,and I could be wrong,but I picture him awkward and somewhat,embarrassed,fidgeting,shy,but I do see him saying something.No matter how difficult he found it.He was the more ill at ease with interviews of the 2 of them.Yet I still think he would have made some statement,and I feel it would have been heart felt as well.
But maybe I am just eulogising.Heath just always struck me as a sincere person.Uncomfortable to watch sometimes because of his innate shyness and lack of interview"tools"no glib remarks or off the cuff witticisms etc.But all the more endearing for that.
Curiouser and curiouser as Alice said.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #4596 on: March 21, 2008, 10:53:32 pm »
I don't find it weird at all.  We look at Jake through the lens of Brokeback, and I doubt very much that Jake, or Jake's fans, would ever claim that Heath was a large part of Jake's success in his career.  He had a successful career before Brokeback.  I just don't understand why because we tie Jake and Heath together through our appreciation of the film, that it seems so "odd" that Jake does not seem to have a Heath-centered life and has not made a public statement to satisfy us.   He is clearly keeping his opinion to himself, and that is undoubtedly because he wishes not to discuss it.  I know a lot of people who when they have suffered the death of a family member or close friend, do not discuss it with anyone because it is too painful.  Why isn't Jake allowed that same courtesy ?
I don't think we expect Jake's life to be Heath-centered but Heath really has been a big part of his career.  Whether he likes it or not the two have been linked together because of BbM.  The same way Ryan Gosling is associated with Rachel McAdams because of THE NOTEBOOK.  Plus isn't Jake Matilda's godfather or something?  Daniel Day Lewis didn't even know Heath, had probably never met him, yet he made a wonderful gesture and he's not exactly a media whore so it wasn't for the publicity.  No, ATZ75 said it perfectly, he should have said something by now if only for etiquette's sake.  That's why relatives of the deceased stand around shaking hands at a funeral, it's not because they want to, it's simple etiquette, there are some things that just have to be done.

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4597 on: March 21, 2008, 10:58:06 pm »
Time out for a smile:

Here's another photo taken the day Matilda was on her scooter:

http://omg.yahoo.com/michelle-stays-strong/photos/1515/2#id=2

It looks like Michelle and Matilda have on matching (or at least very similar) outfits underneath their coats.  Now how cute is that!

yb

« Reply #4598 on: March 21, 2008, 11:48:14 pm »
Time out for a smile:

Here's another photo taken the day Matilda was on her scooter:

http://omg.yahoo.com/michelle-stays-strong/photos/1515/2#id=2

It looks like Michelle and Matilda have on matching (or at least very similar) outfits underneath their coats.  Now how cute is that!

Matilda's height is already to the waist of Michelle, she's going to be a tall girl just like her daddy.

Offline optom3

« Reply #4599 on: March 22, 2008, 12:00:37 am »
I don't think we expect Jake's life to be Heath-centered but Heath really has been a big part of his career.  Whether he likes it or not the two have been linked together because of BbM.  The same way Ryan Gosling is associated with Rachel McAdams because of THE NOTEBOOK.  Plus isn't Jake Matilda's godfather or something?  Daniel Day Lewis didn't even know Heath, had probably never met him, yet he made a wonderful gesture and he's not exactly a media whore so it wasn't for the publicity.  No, ATZ75 said it perfectly, he should have said something by now if only for etiquette's sake.  That's why relatives of the deceased stand around shaking hands at a funeral, it's not because they want to, it's simple etiquette, there are some things that just have to be done.

Hear hear, and so say a lot of us,well me anyway!!!!!