Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8927064 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #13600 on: April 03, 2015, 02:43:14 pm »
I'm thinking we may be told to leave at 3:00 today instead of 4:30 or 5:00, for me that will depend on how much I get done today.

Mary's last day was yesterday, and she left of ton of stuff around for me to clean.  The new boss is here on Monday (not a holiday here in the US) so he can't come in and see this mess.  If I can't get it done before 3:00, I'll need to get it done after.

Thankfully it's been a very slow day, I'm guessing clients are closed due to Good Friday and Passover, so I was able to focus on everything else, and now it's all done with 15 minutes to spare.  I can leave at 3:00 like everyone else!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #13601 on: April 03, 2015, 02:50:20 pm »
Good for you, Chuckie!

Enjoy your Easter weekend!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #13602 on: April 03, 2015, 04:46:05 pm »
Glad you finished, Chuck.
As I have written before and elsewhere, it is just unimaginable for me to consider working on Good Friday.  We do not even have public transport in Dunedin on Good Friday. Only petrol stations and corner stores are open. A few garden centres in other cities opened considering it was worthwhile to pay the $1000 fine. Cafes can open but are allowed to charge a 10% surcharge to cover higher wages. Only a few open. It will be the same on Easter day except buses do run.
I attended the 3 hour vigil in the Cathedral from 12 to 3pm.
However less than 15% of people regularly attend church in NZ.  I, however, think it is good for families to have a day together. Too many people worship the mighty $ and want to be able to shop all the time.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #13603 on: April 04, 2015, 05:32:21 am »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

Good Friday everyone!

I'm thinking we may be told to leave at 3:00 today instead of 4:30 or 5:00, for me that will depend on how much I get done today.

Mary's last day was yesterday, and she left of ton of stuff around for me to clean.  The new boss is here on Monday (not a holiday here in the US) so he can't come in and see this mess.  If I can't get it done before 3:00, I'll need to get it done after.

So I best get to it!  See ya later!!!

Whut? ???
You don't even have a single holiday for Easter? I thought you had one.
We have three: Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Easter Monday. Well, Easter Sunday is not an additional 'free' day but an official holiday nonetheless.

Good Friday is not only a holiday, but even a "quiet day", which means restrictions to public events. There's a ban on dancing and movie theaters also face restrictions because it's forbidden to show movies that stand 'in strong contradiction to the quiet character of the day'. AFAIK they close completely.
Shops must be closed anyway on every Sunday and holiday. So if you need groceries over Easter you have to get them on the Saturday because Friday, Sunday and Monday everything is closed.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #13604 on: April 04, 2015, 11:39:22 am »

Hiya BetterMost friends.

Yup, it's the weekend!   Will be going over to my brother and sister's-in-law for Sunday/Easter lunch.  :)

of course, we'll see Trenton too.  ;D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #13605 on: April 04, 2015, 11:45:48 am »
As I have written before and elsewhere, it is just unimaginable for me to consider working on Good Friday.  We do not even have public transport in Dunedin on Good Friday. Only petrol stations and corner stores are open. A few garden centres in other cities opened considering it was worthwhile to pay the $1000 fine. Cafes can open but are allowed to charge a 10% surcharge to cover higher wages. Only a few open.

It will be the same on Easter day except buses do run.

I attended the 3 hour vigil in the Cathedral from 12 to 3pm.  However less than 15% of people regularly attend church in NZ.  I, however, think it is good for families to have a day together. Too many people worship the mighty $ and want to be able to shop all the time.

Whut? ???

You don't even have a single holiday for Easter? I thought you had one.  We have three: Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Easter Monday. Well, Easter Sunday is not an additional 'free' day but an official holiday nonetheless.

Good Friday is not only a holiday, but even a "quiet day", which means restrictions to public events. There's a ban on dancing and movie theaters also face restrictions because it's forbidden to show movies that stand 'in strong contradiction to the quiet character of the day'. AFAIK they close completely.  Shops must be closed anyway on every Sunday and holiday. So if you need groceries over Easter you have to get them on the Saturday because Friday, Sunday and Monday everything is closed.

Yeah, here in America we basically get nothing for this holiday.  Businesses are open on Good Friday, and Holy Saturday as well.   Some businesses may close early or opt not to open on Good Friday, but it's not a nationwide thing.  No time off on Monday at all.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #13606 on: April 05, 2015, 11:51:55 am »

Hiya BetterMost friends.

Happy Easter to everyone who celebrates.  ;D

Going to be with family today, which includes my great nephew Trenton Scott!  ;)  Can't wait to see him!

I'll spend the evening at home getting some things done, and then tomorrow is the big day, the new boss will be at work for his first day.  Hope everyone has a great day!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #13607 on: April 06, 2015, 03:13:56 am »
Good luck with the new boss, Chuckie! 8)

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #13608 on: April 06, 2015, 08:35:26 am »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

No holiday here, so I'm back to work in my cubicle.  The new boss is here already, I was the only one around when he came so I gave him a quick tour, and he seems like a nice guy.

;D

We'll see what happens now.......

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #13609 on: April 06, 2015, 09:44:10 am »
Good Friday is not only a holiday, but even a "quiet day", which means restrictions to public events. There's a ban on dancing and movie theaters also face restrictions because it's forbidden to show movies that stand 'in strong contradiction to the quiet character of the day'. AFAIK they close completely.
Shops must be closed anyway on every Sunday and holiday. So if you need groceries over Easter you have to get them on the Saturday because Friday, Sunday and Monday everything is closed.

That sounds very much like the U.S. before the 1970s--or, at least, parts of the U.S., anyway. I guess every U.S. state had its own laws about these things. In Pennsylvania, anyway, stores were closed on Sundays.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.