Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2586401 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"M" is Metropolis (1927)
« Reply #2850 on: February 26, 2008, 09:35:00 pm »
Hannahs_cool is my daughter who has actually seen Metropolis (I haven't) and loves it. I mentioned we were doing the 20s in the movie game at dinner tonight and she wanted to jump in with one of her favorite movies.

I should probably watch this, shouldn't I? My daughter is putting me to shame....LOL

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"O" is Our Hospitality (1923)
« Reply #2851 on: February 26, 2008, 09:39:10 pm »
with Buster Keaton. Basically, it is the story of a city slicker arriving in the middle of the Hatfield/McCoy feud.

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"P" is The Phantom of the Opera (1925)
« Reply #2852 on: February 26, 2008, 10:29:05 pm »

==ASIDE==
I was looking for images of Passion's Playground with Valentino, with no luck, when I found this cool pic:

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: "Q" is The Quarterback (1926)
« Reply #2853 on: February 26, 2008, 11:30:14 pm »

From Answers.com:

The Quarterback is Jack Stone (Richard Dix), captain of the 1899 Colton College football team. Though by rights he should have graduated years before, Jack insists upon remaining at Colton until his team can defeat their bitter rivals at State University. Even the death of his wife Louise (Esther Ralston) does not deter our hero from his mission. Ultimately, Stone emerges triumphant, demonstrating a stick-to-it-tiveness that would have put a Vince Lombardi or Mike Ditka to shame! Though it sounds silly and contrived, The Quarterback is actually quite wonderful entertainment, thanks in great part to the knowing direction of Fred C. Newmeyer, himself a former professional athlete.    ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide

=question=
Is anyone having trouble uploading posters from moviegoods.com to their Photobucket account?  I'm suddenly getting an error message that the file appears to be a video because it starts with "mov".  This was never a problem in the past.   ???

Offline oilgun

Re: "Q" is The Quarterback (1926)
« Reply #2854 on: February 27, 2008, 12:28:23 am »
=question=
Is anyone having trouble uploading posters from moviegoods.com to their Photobucket account?  I'm suddenly getting an error message that the file appears to be a video because it starts with "mov".  This was never a problem in the past.   ???

I've actually never tried, I always copy the image to my hard drive and then upload it to Photobucket from there.

I also have a question:

Do you think Richard Dix's friends called him Dick?  :laugh: 

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"R" is Robin Hood (1922)
« Reply #2855 on: February 27, 2008, 07:32:15 am »
with Douglas Fairbanks.

This comment from IMDb gave me a chuckle:

What other actor could leap around Sherwood Forest like Doug does? It is almost skipping! Certainly Errol Flynn was too butch for such things - and Kevin Costner couldn't do a jig if his ass was on fire. But beautiful balletic Fairbanks proves here that he was the ultimate swashbuckling hero - skipping and all! Needless to say his stunts are superb, the sets amazing and the crowd scenes crowded (have there ever been that many merry men ever?).

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"S" is Sadie Thompson (1928)
« Reply #2856 on: February 27, 2008, 09:58:11 am »
With Gloria Swanson and Lionel Barrymore

Offline oilgun

"T" is The Taming of the Shrew (1929)
« Reply #2857 on: February 27, 2008, 05:47:20 pm »
This Fairbanks-Pickford vehicle was apparently not well received.

Do you think it was nominated for Best Costume Design?  :o

« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 07:07:46 pm by MaineWriter »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"U" is The Unknown (1927)
« Reply #2858 on: February 27, 2008, 07:08:31 pm »

from Wikipedia:

The Unknown (1927) is a silent horror film directed by Tod Browning and featuring Lon Chaney as carnival knife thrower Alonzo the Armless and Joan Crawford as the scantily clad carnival girl he hopes to marry.

The Unknown is by far the most intense and demented of director Tod Browning's films (which include Dracula and Freaks). Joan Crawford always said that she learned more about acting from working with Chaney in this movie than from everything else in her long career put together, and critics often cite Chaney's performance as one of the greatest ever captured on film. Burt Lancaster always maintained that Chaney's portrayal in The Unknown was the most emotionally compelling film performance he had ever seen an actor give. Chaney also did remarkable and convincing collaborative scenes with real-life armless double Paul Desmuke (sometimes credited as Peter Dismuki), whose legs and feet were used to manipulate objects such as knives and cigarettes in frame with Chaney's upper body and face.

As with Freaks, contemporary reviewers were sometimes less appreciative. "A visit to the dissecting room in a hospital would be quite as pleasant," opined the New York Evening Post, "and at the same time more instructive." Modern viewers can discern the same macabre style of this film (and other Browning-Chaney collaborations) in later productions ranging from the 1930s Universal Studios horror films to the 1960s Twilight Zone and Alfred Hitchcock Presents programs.

For many years the film was available only in an incomplete 9.5 mm copy, until a much higher quality 35 mm print was found preserved in a French film archive in the early-1970s. Several scenes from the early part of the film are still missing, but these do not seriously affect the story continuity.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: "T" is The Taming of the Shrew (1929)
« Reply #2859 on: February 27, 2008, 07:33:02 pm »

Do you think it was nominated for Best Costume Design?  :o

Did Doug skip? LOL...