Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2582435 times)

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • There But For Fortune
"E" is Embrassez qui vous voudrez (2002)
« Reply #5100 on: September 29, 2008, 05:49:03 pm »
This film featured Charlotte Rampling who appeared with Paul Newman in "The Verdict."

IMDB: Two couple of friends, one very rich the other almost homeless, decides to go on Holiday. Julie, a single mother, joins them too. Once at seaside, it starts a complicate love cross among them that will involve also a transsexual, a jealous brother,a Latin Lover and another nervous stressed couple. Not to mention about the daughter of one of them that is secretly in Chicago with one of his father's employee... More, at the end of the summer all of them will join the same party...

Charlotte Rampling and Paul Newman in "The Verdict"

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
"F" is From the Terrace (1960)
« Reply #5101 on: September 29, 2008, 11:31:56 pm »
RIP Paul Newman

From Wiki:

From the Terrace is a 1960 motion picture directed by Mark Robson and starring Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward, Myrna Loy, Barbara Eden, Ina Balin, and Leon Ames.

The screenplay was written by Ernest Lehman based on the 1958 novel by John O'Hara that tells the story of a wealthy Pennsylvania boy who goes to New York City and marries into an even wealthier family.

David Alfred Eaton,(Paul Newman) an ambitious young executive, climbs to the top of New York's financial world as his marriage crumbles. At the brink of attaining his career goals, he is forced to choose between business success, married to the beautiful, but unfaithful Mary (Joanne Woodward) and starting over with his true love, the much younger Natalie, (Ina Balin) who is the only one who called him by his first name,"David".

He meets Natalie, the daughter of a coal miner-client on a business visit. The depth of her compassion to feel and give love leaves an indelible imprint in his mind, since he was married to a self-aggrandizing narcissist. After ruminating for many months over the state of his loveless, childless marriage, David comes to realize that he was living a half-life, in a robotic rat race of superficiality, accruing neither personal satisfaction from his career, nor happiness from his personal life.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 03:24:55 pm by Lynne »
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"G" is The Gene Krupa Story (1959)
« Reply #5102 on: September 30, 2008, 12:12:47 pm »
Sal Mineo stars in this and also in SOMEBODY UP THERE LIKES ME (1960) with Paul Newman!

Synopsis:  The story of legendary jazz drummer, Gene Krupa. Since his youth, all Gene ever wanted to do is play the drums and make music. This is something his parents would not approve of- they want him to be a priest. When Gene's father dies he promises to enter the priesthood. He soon realizes that he doesn't belong there and leaves to join his friend, Eddie's band. Ethel, Eddie's girlfriend, convinces Gene to go to New York and make it big. The 3 of them head to New York. Here Ethel and Gene soon fall in love and Gene makes a name for himself. Gene starts to live in the fast lane, with drugs, alcohol, women and parties. Ethel, unhappy with Gene's lifestyle, leaves him. Gene soon "hits rock bottom" where he has to face reality and choose where to take his life.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 01:39:09 pm by oilgun »

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"H" is Hombre (1967)
« Reply #5103 on: September 30, 2008, 12:32:59 pm »

IMDB: Outstanding direction, writing, acting, and cinematography make this film perhaps the best western ever made, and certainly outstanding in it's genre. The good guys aren't all that good, and the bad guys are despicable. The dialogue is from Elmore Leonard, and is some of the best dialogue ever written, western or not. Example: Early in the film Diane Cilento has retreated to the privacy of a shack to remove her petticoat because of the heat. Paul Newman is in the room, and watches her silently as she bears her legs. Then he says, "You'd better stop right there lady, or I'm gonna know all there is to know about you." Ms Cilento's character Jessie (a hard frontier woman who runs a boarding house and sleeps with the town sheriff) retorts, "You might have cleared your throat." Newman says, "I couldn't, my heart was in it." The minor part cast is also outstanding: Martin Balsam, Richard Boone, Cameron Mitchell, David Canary. I also mention the cinematographer, often overlooked, because it was James Wong Howe (Molly McGuires, This Property is Condemned, Hud, Fantasia) who was one of the greatest cinematographers that has ever lived.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
"I" is iMurders (2008)
« Reply #5104 on: September 30, 2008, 01:55:08 pm »
iMurders stars Charles Durning, who also starred with Paul Newman in The Sting (1973).

Plot:  A mysterious love triangle leads to a tragic shooting. Months later, eight members of a Myspace-esque chat room are being gruesomely murdered in the privacy of their own homes.

=aside= Players
Back from the cabin, where it rained, so we saw lots of "boys-kissing-boys" movies:  Sordid Lives, Beautiful Thing, The Times of Harvey Milk, Shelter, A Home at the End of the World.

Offline oilgun

Re: "I" is iMurders (2008)
« Reply #5105 on: September 30, 2008, 02:54:45 pm »

=aside= Players
Back from the cabin, where it rained, so we saw lots of "boys-kissing-boys" movies:  Sordid Lives, Beautiful Thing, The Times of Harvey Milk, Shelter, A Home at the End of the World.

Are you two fishing buddies? Nudge-nudge, wink-wink.. ;D

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #5106 on: September 30, 2008, 04:48:05 pm »
Are you two fishing buddies? Nudge-nudge, wink-wink.. ;D

Are you referring to Brad Rowe or Colin Farrell?   :)

Offline oilgun

« Reply #5107 on: September 30, 2008, 04:59:05 pm »
Are you referring to Brad Rowe or Colin Farrell?   :)

Not Brad Rowe, Don Wroe!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #5108 on: September 30, 2008, 05:07:52 pm »

Offline oilgun

"J" is Jaar van de kreeft, Het (1975)
« Reply #5109 on: October 01, 2008, 01:58:47 pm »
AKA:  Cancer Rising