Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2583901 times)

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"E" is Elevator (2007)
« Reply #5240 on: October 29, 2008, 03:23:24 pm »

From IMDb:  Two men are stuck in an elevator. One thinks he is going up and the other thinks he is going down. For each, the elevator is on an endless trip in his direction until they question the reasons that led them to meet each other.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"F" is Foxes (1980)
« Reply #5241 on: October 29, 2008, 03:32:11 pm »
Plot: A group of friends come of age in the asphalt desert of the San Fernando Valley set to a blazing soundtrack and endless drinking, drugs and sex.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
"G" is Goodbye Charlie Bright (2001)
« Reply #5242 on: October 29, 2008, 03:56:59 pm »

IMDb comment:  The story deals with Charlie Bright, and his boyhood pals Damien, Tommy, Francis and Justin. These lads have grown up together since they were toddlers and still spend most of their waking hours together, wasting time, pulling pranks, doing drugs and doing some thieving to pay for them. However they are now coming of age and drifting apart. Tommy has joined the army and is leaving soon; Francis has found a steady girl and is now drifting away from the guys. Damien is the most daring thief of the lot and `would do anything for a few quid but you could never trust him.' That leaves Charlie and Justin. Justin has grown up in an almost parent-free environment and has attached himself so tightly to Charlie since toddler hood that the neighbors have noticed the especially close relationship and have taken to referring to Justin, when talking to Charlie, as `the wife.'

While none of the boys exhibit any outwardly gay actions it is this `special friendship' between Justin and Charlie that gives this film its gay interest. Charlie is in fact straight and has interest in a girl living in the same council flats but is afraid to make the first move for fear that the ever-present Justin will somehow embarrass him or otherwise screw it up. Justin on the other hand is content to let things go on as they have and treats girls as a target for teasing just as he has done for years.

In the end Charlie loses his patience and does something that allows Justin to do things that will force the end of their close association. How much Justin perceives of Charlie's motives, as he smilingly carries out his end of the little drama is where the mystery and the brilliance of this piece lies. Straight folks have panned this film as being plot less and a `waste of lottery funds' but reading between the lines I saw a heartbreaking story that was original and memorable.

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"H" is The Hours and Times (1991)
« Reply #5243 on: October 29, 2008, 04:11:20 pm »

From IMDB: This movie explores the complex relationship between John Lennon and homosexual Beatles manager Brian Epstein. In April 1963, Lennon and Epstein took a trip to Barcelona together, and what may have happened there is the subject of this finely nuanced film. Epstein struggles with his desperate, hopeless love for Lennon, and the surly, sharp-witted and cruel Lennon is torn between needling him about it and relieving his suffering. Watching them spar in conversation is fascinating. Contrary to what it might sound like, the movie is not exploitative. Instead it is a meditation on the frequently tortured friendship between these two men. Very well done!

Offline Fran

"I" is Indien (1993)
« Reply #5244 on: October 29, 2008, 06:25:12 pm »
Also known as:  "India"

From IMDb:  Heinzi Boesel and Kurt Fellner are two Austrian health inspectors forced to work together, traveling through Austria. Over time a beautiful friendship evolves between the odd couple who couldn't stand each other initially, a friendship that even overcomes the boundaries of great tragedy.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"J" is Johnny Vang (2003)
« Reply #5245 on: October 30, 2008, 03:05:55 pm »

Plot:  Three friends since childhood are trying to work out their complicated relationships. Jonny tries to be best friends with Magnus, Magnus tries to be married to Tuva, and Tuva tries to have sex with Jonny.

=Happy Birthday=
Gil!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 04:31:17 pm by southend mavericky md »

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"K" is The Kite Runner (2007)
« Reply #5246 on: October 30, 2008, 05:22:08 pm »

From IMDB: In the 70's in Afghanistan, the Pushtun boy Amir and the Hazara boy Hassan, who is his loyal friend and son of their Hazara servant Ali, are raised together in Amir's father house, playing and kitting on the streets of a peaceful Kabul. Amir feels that his wise and good father Baba blames him for the death of his mother in the delivery, and also that his father loves and prefers Hassam to him. In return, Amir feels a great respect for his father's best friend Rahim Khan, who supports his intention to become a writer. After Amir winning a competition of kitting, Hassam runs to bring a kite to Amir, but he is beaten and raped by the brutal Assef in an empty street to protect Amir's kite; the coward Amir witness the assault but does not help the loyal Hassam. On the day after his birthday party, Amir hides his new watch in Hassam's bed to frame the boy as a thief and force his father to fire Ali, releasing his conscience from recalling his cowardice and betrayal. In 1979, the Russians invade Afghanistan and Baba and Amir escape to Pakistan. In 1988, they have a simple life in Fremont, California, when Amir graduates in a public college for the pride and joy of Baba. Later Amir meets his countrywoman Soraya and they get married. In 2000, after the death of Baba, Amir is a famous novelist and receives a phone call from the terminal Rahim Khan, who discloses secrets about his family, forcing Amir to return to Peshawar, in Pakistan, in a journey of redemption.

Happy Birthday, Gil

Offline Fran

"L" is Leaving Metropolis (2002)
« Reply #5247 on: October 30, 2008, 05:47:38 pm »
A Canadian movie, in honor of today's birthday celebrant:

Successful Winnipeg-based artist David (Troy Ruptash) has become isolated from humankind due to his fame and notoriety, which negatively affects his inspiration for painting new works. Having come to the conclusion that the only cure for this condition is a heavy dose of culture immersion, David sets out to find a job -- and quickly finds one waiting tables at a diner run by married couple Matt (Vincent Corazza) and Violet (Cherilee Taylor). David purposefully manages to keep this new part of his life a secret from his best friends Kryla (Lynda Boyd) and Shannon (Thom Allison), especially when he starts developing a crush on Matt. As the two start a romantic relationship, Violet and Kryla each separately become suspicious and begin looking into the various inconsistencies surrounding Matt and David's recent actions. Matt, under pressure, ends the relationship but finds he must confess his sins to Violet when his and David's relationship is about to be made public due to some nude portraits David painted with Matt as the subject. The feature-film directing debut for Canadian playwright Brad Fraser, Leaving Metropolis gained wider public notice after being selected for inclusion into the 2002 Montreal World Film Festival.
~ Ryan Shriver, All Movie Guide     

Gil,
Hope you're having an exceptional birthday!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 08:15:31 pm by Fran »

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"M" is Mean Creek (2004).
« Reply #5248 on: October 31, 2008, 10:46:43 am »

PLOT:  When Sam Merrick (Rory Culkin) is beaten up by local bully George Tooney (Josh Peck), Sam's older brother Rocky (Trevor Morgan) and his friends Clyde (Ryan Kelley) and Marty (Scott Mechlowicz) plan to pretend it's Sam's birthday to "invite" George on a boat trip in which they would dare him to strip naked, jump in the lake, and run home naked. But when Sam, his girlfriend Millie (Carly Schroeder), Rocky, and Clyde see George as not much of a bad guy, they want to call off the plan, but Marty refuses. Will the plan go ahead as planned?

A Canadian movie, in honor of today's birthday celebrant:

Gil,
Hope you're having an exceptional birthday!

Thanks guys, I had a great birthday!  People at work ordered a pizza lunch for the occasion and actually SANG happy Birthday!  Later I had a nice dinner with friends at an Indian resto. 

As for LEAVING METROPOLIS, the play was much better!  Although Vince Corazza is an absolute doll!:

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"N" is The Night Listener (2006)
« Reply #5249 on: October 31, 2008, 12:45:36 pm »

IMDb comment:  The Night Listener held my attention, with Robin Williams shining as a New York City radio host who becomes enamored with his friendship with a 14 year old boy (Rory Culkin) who is very ill. Williams has never met the boy in person, as they have only been in contact by talking on the telephone. However, Williams' ex-boyfriend (nice job from Bobby Cannavale) raises doubt about the boy, which prompts Williams to arrange a meeting with him in person. What follows makes a permanent impact on Williams in a way he does not expect. I will leave it at that. Toni Collette also stars.

I enjoyed this film, with Toni Collette giving a memorable portrayal of Culkin's adoptive mother. Sandra Oh also starred as Williams' friend. The Night Listener is inspired by actual events, and it has a somber, almost creepy silence throughout. At times it is predictable, no thanks to some of the reviews I read before seeing the movie and just due to logic, but I liked it anyway. I enjoy Williams in roles like this, more so than his comedic characters so that was an added bonus for me. Recommended. 8/10

Based on the book by Armistead "Tales of the City" Maupin.