Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2582614 times)

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"Y" is Ying hung boon sik (1986)
« Reply #5260 on: November 02, 2008, 01:04:48 pm »
Also known as:   A Better Tomorrow

From IMDb:  This John Woo film tells the tale of Mark and Ho, friends and couriers for a Hong Kong crime syndicate with a large counterfeiting operation. Ho is double-crossed during a set-up and turns himself in to the police and Mark is shot during the firefight of a retribution hit. The plot is complicated by the fact that Ho's younger brother, Kit, is a rookie cop whose reputation is tarnished by his gangster brother. When Ho gets out of prison, he wants to start a new life, free of crime. Unfortunately, he is haunted by his past, with the crime bosses leaning on him and Mark encouraging him to return to a life of crime as his partner. In typical Woo fashion, the various factions clash and our protagonists engage both the police and the gangsters in a bloody bullet-fest.

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
Wildcard "Z" is Peter's Friends (1992)
« Reply #5261 on: November 02, 2008, 06:29:02 pm »

From IMDB: Seven friends in an acting troupe graduate from Cambridge University in 1982 and go their separate ways. Ten years later, Peter inherits a large estate from his father, and invites the rest of the gang to spend New Year's holiday with him. Many changes have taken place in the lives of all the friends assembled, but Peter has a secret that will shock them all.

Offline Fran

Re: ABCs at the Movies: The "I Love NY" Round!
« Reply #5262 on: November 02, 2008, 10:10:25 pm »

A round of movies with a New York connection

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
"A" is Autumn in New York (2000)
« Reply #5263 on: November 03, 2008, 09:54:08 am »

Plot:  Romantic drama about an aging playboy who falls for a sweet, but terminally ill, young woman.

Offline Fran

"B" is Baby Snakes (1979)
« Reply #5264 on: November 05, 2008, 12:04:50 pm »

From IMDb:  Rock artist Frank Zappa hosts a concert in New York City. This movie contains tons of on-stage footage, off-stage footage, and animation.

=aside= Sandy
My bad. I was waiting for you or
Gil to play "B". Sorry.

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"C" is The Crowd (1928)
« Reply #5265 on: November 05, 2008, 12:14:52 pm »

FROM IMDB: Born on the fourth of July, 1900, the future holds unlimited potential for newborn John Sims. But dreams soon fade with the death of his father when John is but a lad. Like many before him, John sets out to make his mark in New York City, but ends up a faceless worker (#137) in a large office of a large business. Still he is happy with his fate and soon meets a young woman named Mary on a blind double date. Things take their course and they soon marry and live in a small apartment. Soon John is bickering with Mary and finds that he has no love for the in-laws. When the marriage looks like a bust, he finds that Mary is with child and he stays. After 5 years, he has a son and a daughter and the same dead end job. When tragedy strikes, John must find the conviction to continue or lose what little he has left.

=aside= Fran
No problem.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: ABCs at the Movies: The "I Love NY" Round!
« Reply #5266 on: November 05, 2008, 12:46:07 pm »
I have seen The Crowd, restored with a new score. It is a timeless classic. I remember reading the liner notes that they had figured out the film had been shot a 20 frames per second insted of the standard which is faster, and when they made the adjustment in the speed, it flowed like it was supposed to.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
"D" is The Docks of New York (1928)
« Reply #5267 on: November 05, 2008, 01:25:27 pm »

Plot:  A blue-collar worker on New York's depressed waterfront finds his life changed after he saves a woman attempting suicide.

Offline Fran

"E" is The Event (2003)
« Reply #5268 on: November 05, 2008, 02:38:40 pm »

From IMDb:  An intense relationship drama that takes the form of a mystery, "The Event" centers around a series of unexplained deaths that occur among the gay community in New York's fashionable Chelsea district. Nick, a district attorney investigating the most recent case, a suspicious apparent suicide, and her interviews with friends and family of the deceased trigger extensive and intricately interwoven flashbacks that reveal surprising facts about the man's life and death.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"F" is Fur: An Imaginary Portrait of Diane Arbus (2007)
« Reply #5269 on: November 05, 2008, 04:32:59 pm »

PLOT:  In 1958, in New York City, the upper class Diane Arbus is a frustrated and lonely woman with a conventional marriage with two daughters. Her husband is a photographer sponsored by the wealthy parents of Diane, and she works as his assistant. When Lionel Sweeney, a mysterious man with hypertrichosis (a.k.a. werewolf syndrome, a disease that causes excessive body hair), comes to live in the apartment in the upper floor, Diane feels a great attraction for him and is introduced to the world of freaks and marginalized people, falling in love with Lionel.

==COMMENT==
A very underrated film, I really enjoyed it.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 09:36:02 pm by oilgun »