Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2582096 times)

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • There But For Fortune
"G" is The Girl From Manhattan (1948)
« Reply #5270 on: November 05, 2008, 06:42:11 pm »

From IMDB: A small-town girl who's made it big in New York as a fashion model returns home, only to find that her somewhat dotty uncle has mortgaged his boarding house to the hilt. In her efforts to help him keep his boarding house, she becomes involved with a handsome young minister and his superior, an older bishop.

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
"H" is Husbands and Wives (1992)
« Reply #5271 on: November 05, 2008, 06:58:46 pm »

From IMDb:  "Mature" is an apt description of this drama written and directed by Woody Allen, centering on a New York couple whose relationship hits a wall after finding out their best friends are splitting up. It's an often gut-wrenching picture that doesn't shy away from some really tough scenes and emotions. That said, I didn't buy the ending that attempts to wrap things up with a bow and a smile. This plastic conclusion seems foisted upon Allen, who sucker punches marriage and then gives us an "everything will be OK" tag. I don't feel Allen's belief in this section of the movie, but it's such a small portion that it can be forgiven (or, at the least, overlooked). Mia Farrow and (especially) Sydney Pollack give amazing performances; Judy Davis' highly-strung character is one of those too-smart-for-her-own-good types who tend to grate if they're on-screen too long (and she is). Woody himself gives another of his wise performances playing a teacher, Juliette Lewis is very sweet and real as one of his students, but Liam Neeson is a bland hunk. Overall, a scathing dissection of marriage and arguably Allen's best film of the 1990's.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"I" is I am Legend (2007)
« Reply #5272 on: November 05, 2008, 08:51:43 pm »

Plot:   Years after a plague kills most of humanity and transforms the rest into monsters, the sole survivor in New York City struggles valiantly to find a cure.

==ASIDE==
I changed my "F" movie.  I wasn't at all happy with my initial choice. :P

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
"J" is Jungle 2 Jungle (1997)
« Reply #5273 on: November 05, 2008, 11:27:44 pm »

Plot:  Michael Cromwell, a New-Yorker, suddenly learns that he has a 13-year old son that's been raised in the jungle. He brings the boy to New York, and that's where the fun starts...

Offline Fran

"K" is The Kiss (2003)
« Reply #5274 on: November 06, 2008, 12:24:06 am »

From IMDb:  Reflections of a disaffected young Spanish couple living in New York (Adriane Forlana Erdos and Miquel Belmonte) are counterpointed against the anxieties of an architect (John Weigand) whose new skyscraper has been discovered to be dangerously unstable.

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"L" is Looking for Kitty (2004)
« Reply #5275 on: November 06, 2008, 11:10:03 am »

From IMDB: A high school baseball coach (Krumholtz) and a down-on-his-luck private investigator (Burns) form a bond as they scour New York City for the coach's wife, who's run away with a second-rate rock star. As in Burns' previous films, the city itself becomes a character as the two men confront their fear of change and the familiar habit of loneliness.

=congrats= Paul

On outstanding posts.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"M" is The Muppets Take Manhattan (1984)
« Reply #5276 on: November 06, 2008, 02:35:32 pm »

Plot:  Kermit and his friends go to New York to get their musical on Broadway only to find it's a more difficult task than they anticipated.

Offline Fran

"N" is New York, I Love You! (2008)
« Reply #5277 on: November 06, 2008, 03:09:22 pm »

From IMDb:  An anthology film joining several love stories set in one of the most loved cities of the world, New York.

=aside= Paul
Congrats on hitting 6,000!!!!!!
Nicely done!

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"O" is Oh! Calcutta! (1972)
« Reply #5278 on: November 06, 2008, 03:12:13 pm »

Plot:   Based on the controversial off-Broadway musical comedy revue, "Oh! Calcutta! is a series of musical numbers about sex and sexual mores. Most of the skits feature one or more performers in either a state of undress, simulating sex, or both.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 05:14:09 pm by oilgun »

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"P" is The Promise of New York (2008)
« Reply #5279 on: November 06, 2008, 04:16:05 pm »
Synopsis:  A blogger turned stand-up comic, an obsessive political gadfly and a high-school math teacher compete against each other and arch rival incumbent Michael Bloomberg for the post of New York City mayor. As these ordinary citizens take politics into their own hands, "The Promise of New York" explores the meaning of democracy and the identity of a city with hilarious irreverence and thought-provoking sensitivity.

=aside=
Thanks guys!