Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4612669 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Whoo-hoo! More than 20 000 Euros from AIDS/Childrens Run
« Reply #10270 on: September 10, 2009, 08:17:48 am »
Whoo-eee!
The school my middle child attends had an AIDS/Childrens Run today. Half of the money goes to the local AIDS-Hilfe (AIDS support network), the other half to SOS-Children's Villages.

This year, they have a new record: 23 000 Euros (=33 400$). Last year, it was around 18 000 Euros.

Each round was one kilometer and my daughter ran 13 kilometer in two hours (8 miles). The kids had to find sponsors themselves (mostly parents and other relatives, naturally), who pay them a specific amount for each round (you could also pay a fixed sum, but what's the fun in running then?).

She came home very proud. They have always a competition going, which class run the most rounds (added from all children of one class), and which class collects the most money. And her class won the money collection competition, yay! As the prize, the two winning classes go out to an ice-cream parlor :).

The school has been doing this event for some years now, and all together, they have collected more than 80 000 Euros. That's 116 414 $!

I think this is a great idea of the school! :)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: Whoo-hoo! More than 20 000 Euros from AIDS/Childrens Run
« Reply #10271 on: September 10, 2009, 05:34:17 pm »
Whoo-eee!
The school my middle child attends had an AIDS/Childrens Run today. Half of the money goes to the local AIDS-Hilfe (AIDS support network), the other half to SOS-Children's Villages.

This year, they have a new record: 23 000 Euros (=33 400$). Last year, it was around 18 000 Euros.

Each round was one kilometer and my daughter ran 13 kilometer in two hours (8 miles). The kids had to find sponsors themselves (mostly parents and other relatives, naturally), who pay them a specific amount for each round (you could also pay a fixed sum, but what's the fun in running then?).

She came home very proud. They have always a competition going, which class run the most rounds (added from all children of one class), and which class collects the most money. And her class won the money collection competition, yay! As the prize, the two winning classes go out to an ice-cream parlor :).

The school has been doing this event for some years now, and all together, they have collected more than 80 000 Euros. That's 116 414 $!

I think this is a great idea of the school! :)

Brilliant!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #10272 on: September 10, 2009, 07:46:08 pm »
That is a great idea, and your daughter did great!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #10273 on: September 11, 2009, 08:55:28 am »
Well, this morning we are having a perfect equinoctial nor'easter. Such a storm of wind and rain! I got to work soaked to the knees.  >:(  But I managed to do it without spilling my cup of Dunkin' Donuts coffee.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #10274 on: September 11, 2009, 11:37:18 am »
Well, this morning we are having a perfect equinoctial nor'easter. Such a storm of wind and rain! I got to work soaked to the knees.  >:(  But I managed to do it without spilling my cup of Dunkin' Donuts coffee.  ;D

Sitting at work soaked just sucks.  :P
Hope the coffe made it easier :).
And at least it's Friday, only a few hours parting you from the weekend :D.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #10275 on: September 11, 2009, 03:56:35 pm »

Poor Jeff! :'(

I hope you managed to dry off quickly once you arrived at work. And I'm glad you didn't spill your coffee. I am a complete disaster in the morning until I have my coffee. I need it almost as much as I need oxygen. :P

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #10276 on: September 11, 2009, 08:53:17 pm »
Poor Jeff! :'(

I hope you managed to dry off quickly once you arrived at work. And I'm glad you didn't spill your coffee. I am a complete disaster in the morning until I have my coffee. I need it almost as much as I need oxygen. :P

When I got home from work this afternoon, the hems of my trousers were still damp from this morning. ...  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #10277 on: September 11, 2009, 09:12:31 pm »
When I got home from work this afternoon, the hems of my trousers were still damp from this morning. ...  :(

Oh shit!  How hard was it raining today?

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #10278 on: September 14, 2009, 11:22:39 am »

I know what you mean, Jeff.  Friday morning I had to travel to Baltimore on the train, but even before I got in the cab to Penn Station, I was soaked and my umbrella turned inside out.  I regretted not wearing my raincoat,  but then on the way home on Sunday it was hot and dry, and I was glad I didn't have to shlep it with me.  September weather!  ::)

BTW, I waved to you going through Philly, both coming and going.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #10279 on: September 14, 2009, 11:42:15 am »
BTW, I waved to you going through Philly, both coming and going.  ;D

Oh! That was you!  ;D

BTW, I was thinking of you and took some snapshots of the Chicago Lyric (Light? I can't remember now.  :( ) Opera House during my first stop in Chicago on the Rail Odyssey. One of these days I'll get my trip pics uploaded, and I'll send them to you.