Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4622365 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #10340 on: October 22, 2009, 11:22:40 pm »
Just needed to say that I love this week´s banner :D

Thanks, Monika.  A little Jack doesn't hurt.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #10341 on: October 22, 2009, 11:30:49 pm »
Bones and clouds are so dissimilar.

She's brave about incorporating way-out-there images and metaphors. Since when does a mountain boil, with demonic energy no less?

Whenever I've tried something the least bit offbeat like that, my editors have sternly deleted it and switched it to something ordinary and predictable: "boneless" to "cloudless" or whatever. Annie either makes it work ... or is so brazen that the editors figure she must know what she's doing.

I completely agree that clouds and bones are very different, and with the sentiment that Proulx's metaphors are bold.  At the same time, though as soon as you read something like "boneless blue" and if you're given the little push that she's talking about the sky... somehow the bones / clouds thing makes sense... or it doesn't take much to begin to think of it as having its own peculiar logic.  

I feel the same way about the boiling mountain idea... somehow I kind of feel like I know what she means even though it doesn't make logical sense.  I suppose that's what I mean about poetic aspect that I sense in her language.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #10342 on: October 23, 2009, 03:22:25 am »
She's brave about incorporating way-out-there images and metaphors. Since when does a mountain boil, with demonic energy no less?

Whenever I've tried something the least bit offbeat like that, my editors have sternly deleted it and switched it to something ordinary and predictable: "boneless" to "cloudless" or whatever. Annie either makes it work ... or is so brazen that the editors figure she must know what she's doing.

'Course one's fiction and the other's journalism.  Which I know you know.  Now I'm thinking about cloudless chicken breasts.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #10343 on: October 23, 2009, 04:39:45 am »
At the same time, though as soon as you read something like "boneless blue" and if you're given the little push that she's talking about the sky... somehow the bones / clouds thing makes sense...

Agreed. Even to me as a foreign speaker, it was immediately clear what she's talking about and made absolute sense when I read the story for the first time. I know I liked that phrase instantly.

I feel the same way about the boiling mountain idea... somehow I kind of feel like I know what she means even though it doesn't make logical sense.  I suppose that's what I mean about poetic aspect that I sense in her language.

I think the mountain boiling with demonic energy is a bit more far off, a bit more into the field of fantasy. But maybe that's just me, maybe I have too much of it (fantasy, that is). I can easily see the mountain boiling, bubbling and being wobbly - just like a highly piled up jelly pudding, when you shake the plate. But you have to picture it in slow motion of course.
As if the mountain were rearing up (again: in slow-mo) like a horse (or bull), to shake off the rider; the mountain was rearing up to shake off the two intruders who had lived in its paradise long enough.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #10344 on: October 23, 2009, 08:35:13 am »

Pity the fool editor who would try to make her change it. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #10345 on: October 23, 2009, 08:36:21 am »
A little Jack doesn't hurt.

Especially with Coke or ginger ale. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #10346 on: October 23, 2009, 08:38:50 am »
I think the mountain boiling with demonic energy is a bit more far off, a bit more into the field of fantasy. But maybe that's just me, maybe I have too much of it (fantasy, that is). I can easily see the mountain boiling, bubbling and being wobbly - just like a highly piled up jelly pudding, when you shake the plate. But you have to picture it in slow motion of course.
As if the mountain were rearing up (again: in slow-mo) like a horse (or bull), to shake off the rider; the mountain was rearing up to shake off the two intruders who had lived in its paradise long enough.

I just think of a low rumbling noise, like the sound when a pan of water first comes to boil.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #10347 on: October 23, 2009, 08:46:50 am »
'Course one's fiction and the other's journalism. 

True, though sometimes they do overlap. But not, for the record, the way some people might think.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #10348 on: October 23, 2009, 11:37:34 am »
True, though sometimes they do overlap. But not, for the record, the way some people might think.

And sometimes they overlap exactly the way some people might think!  ;D

But that's generally found out in the end.  8)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #10349 on: October 23, 2009, 12:01:29 pm »
And sometimes they overlap exactly the way some people might think!  ;D

But that's generally found out in the end.  8)

That's true. They sure overlapped for Stephen Glass, Jason Blair and Janet whatsername, the woman who wrote about the 10-year-old crack addict -- people knowingly, deliberately writing fiction and calling it journalism.

But the contention that much of mainstream journalism is fictional is patently false. Even what Fox News presents isn't fiction, it's slanted facts.

They do overlap when journalism uses the techniques of fiction -- when somebody writing journalism refers to a boneless blue sky, for instance. If the sky really was boneless (or cloudless), it's not fiction.