Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4622191 times)

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2190 on: January 10, 2007, 10:47:10 pm »
flying is like being in prison with a chance of being ripped to pieces/burned to death or falling 5 miles.    

I think that is the new SouthWest Airlines billboard motto.     :laugh:

Offline David

« Reply #2191 on: January 10, 2007, 10:55:42 pm »
As much as I enjoy Flying, I still drink half a bottle of Pepto Bismol the morning of each trip.   LOL

I'm not afraid of dying.  Just the incredible anxiety of the plumeting to my death before impact.    Why be afraid of instant death?    I am more afraid of knowing death looms ahead of us, often with long lingering illness.     

I'd much rather die in my sleep like my grandmother, not screaming in terror like the passengers in her car.      <--sorry, that is an old joke but a good one.  LOL

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #2192 on: January 10, 2007, 11:03:14 pm »
Oh my!  David I don't whether to laugh or cry right now! :-\ :-\ :'( :laugh:
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

Offline David

« Reply #2193 on: January 10, 2007, 11:08:22 pm »
Oh my!  David I don't whether to laugh or cry right now! :-\ :-\ :'( :laugh:

Oops!  Sorry bout that.   I saw that my post took on too serious of a tone, so I thought I'd toss in that old joke.    My grandmother didn't die in a car crash!

Let's move on to nicer things.   Wanna talk about Jake Gyllenhaals cute butt?   

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #2194 on: January 10, 2007, 11:17:26 pm »
I think that is the new SouthWest Airlines billboard motto.     :laugh:

A mother and her 5 yr old son were flying Southwest Airlines from Kansas City to Chicago.  The son (who had been looking out the window) turned to his mother and asked, "If big dogs have baby dogs and big cats have baby cats, why don't big planes have baby planes?"

The mother, who couldn't think of an answer, told her son to ask the stewardess.

So the boy walks to the galley and asks the stewardess, "If big dogs have baby dogs and big cats have baby cats, why don't big planes have babyplanes?"

The stewardess responded, "Did your mother tell you to ask me?"

The boy said, "Yes, she did...."

"Well, then, tell your mother that there are no baby planes because Southwest always pulls out on time.  Have your mother explain that to you."

;D ;D ;D

Airplane travel is rife with gallows humor.  Someone in describing the sinking of the Titanic equated it with modern airline travel.  There is the understanding that when you agree to the mode of travel, you are accepting the risk that you may not make it and go down with the ship.

Let's see, TWA = travel with ammo.

Delta was cute - 'don't even leave the airport'.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #2195 on: January 11, 2007, 12:09:00 am »
David, your sense of humor is the heart of this thread.  Keep on bringing it!  ;D

I used to be terrified to fly, maybe because when I was little there were a few spectacular and well-publicized plane crashes that scared everybody.  My first flight was when I was in college, flying home to Cleveland from Indianapolis.  I think I must have given the businessman next to me a cheap thrill, because I asked if I could hold on to him while taking off and landing.  ;D

In recent years, though, I've finally chilled out about it and sometimes enjoy it, other than the airport hassles.  Maybe it helps to get older.  I figure my parents are gone, and I don't have kids who depend on me, and there are worse things than going quickly while you still have your health and faculties.  ::)  If I go down, though, I sure hope it's after a great vacation, and not before!  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #2196 on: January 11, 2007, 03:29:13 am »
You all posted over ten pages in this thread in six days!  And I just read them all!  Who's nuts?  :)

To distill all my responses into one post:
David, I seriously LOVE your TWA bag.  Makes me very nostalgic.

Paul, I love Cass Elliot singing "Dream a Little Dream."  I have very happy memories of my mom singing it to me as a child.

Louise and all, yes, the weather seems very weird.  We've had unusually strong winds, off and on this winter.

Scott and others, I have a fear of being near the edge of heights.  If I feel confident that I can't fall over the edge, like if there is a big rail, I'm probably okay.  But Melinda can vouch that when she took us on our beautiful San Francisco summer night driving tour (Melinda, Pete, Nipith, Juan, Kirk, and me in a not large car), after going up a windy, precipice-y road, I asked to be humored with a slow descent down because it freaked me out.  Melinda was very thoughtful.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2197 on: January 11, 2007, 07:07:43 am »
Everyone, notice with that last post, Elle has joined the ranks of the 3000 posts club! Go, Clarissa!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2198 on: January 11, 2007, 07:09:53 am »
Thursday morning, and my husband overslept. For him, oversleeping means sleeping in til 6 am and not getting up at 4:30 am. It means that I am up on time but he is still here, which I am not used to. He is giving me funny looks...LOL

7.5 degrees here!  COLD! Obviously I will need to haul out the hat and mittens this morning!

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline David

« Reply #2199 on: January 11, 2007, 07:13:57 am »
Thursday Mornings Top Ten List!

injest  8116
Lucise  5830
MaineWriter  4139
Garry_LH  4135

Front-Ranger  3947
louisev  3328
DavidinHartford  3107