Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4610151 times)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2250 on: January 15, 2007, 07:12:59 am »
enjo enjoy David! say hello to the sun from me - I haven't seen it in a few months!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2251 on: January 15, 2007, 09:15:24 am »
Monday morning, Martin Luther King Day. I hadn't planned on taking this as a vacation day, but they are predicting ice and snow, up to 7 inches. It just started snowing now. Since my daughter is home from school anyway, I might as well stay home, too. Ha ha, didn't need to twist my arm to hard on that one!

24 degrees right now. I'll keep ya'll posted on the weather.

And, how about those Patriots?! Yahoo, what a game...I think the Chargers were the team they had to beat and I am predicting they go all the way to the Super Bowl. Yee-haw!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2252 on: January 15, 2007, 06:42:03 pm »
Well, we had what the weathermen like to euphemistically call a "wintry mix" for most of the day, but actual accumulation was pretty minor. I did stay home and didn't venture out on the roads, since there wasn't anything I needed, anyway. My husband went to work but came home early...the driving was slow, but not awful.

Looks like lots of hoopla and worrying over nothing, but since we haven't had much winter to speak of, the weather people are restless. LOL

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2253 on: January 16, 2007, 12:38:43 am »
According to our little reports at the bottom of the BetterMost screen, it's 21 degrees in Childress, TX right now!  That just seems wrong to me.  And, it was almost 60 degrees in Pittsburgh today!  Not only was it warm... it was humid!
 :o

All wrong.
 :-\
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2254 on: January 16, 2007, 07:31:19 am »
Filling in for David while he is in sunny warm Florida!

Tuesday's Top Ten List!

injest  8434
Lucise  5910
Garry_LH  4300
MaineWriter  4232
Front-Ranger  4047

louisev  3359
DavidinHartford  3136
Ellemeno  3071

Pipedream  2510
Fran  2426

« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 07:34:33 am by MaineWriter »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2255 on: January 16, 2007, 07:32:09 am »
Tuesday here, 20.8 degrees. We are supposed to have a cold blast the next few days.

L

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2256 on: January 16, 2007, 11:19:27 am »
Be careful everybody in this icy weather. Here's a true story. A man from our Houston office started on a road trip with his family to visit relatives on the West Coast over the holidays. They got lost in an ice storm in Oregon. He ran the car until there was no more gas to keep his wife and two little girls, ages four years and four months, warm. Then he burned the tires. Several days passed while they were still stranded and lost. The mother nursed the baby, and then she also nursed the four-year-old. Finally, the man took off walking to find help. He did reach help, but then was taken to a hospital and died of hypothermia. The wife and children were rescued.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2257 on: January 16, 2007, 11:46:13 am »
Lee,

Are you referring to the tragedy with James Kim and his family that occurred over Thanksgiving?

Just a few details: he was from San Francisco, not Houston. The children were 7 months and 4 years, and yes, mom breastfed both of them. Although the weather was snow and rain, it sounds more like they were stuck in snow, on a mountain road, that is normally closed in winter. Vandals had destroyed the gate that closed the road, and Kim made a wrong turn.

for more:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/12/07/missing.family/index.html

This story says he walked 10.64 miles but later reports estimated that he really walked 16.

For work, he was a senior editor at CNET Networks.

Leslie

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2258 on: January 16, 2007, 11:58:50 am »
Yes, the man was originally from San Francisco and may have worked for CNET previously, but at the time of his death, he worked for my company in our Houston office. I was told that the younger child was four months old but it may have been wrong information.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2259 on: January 16, 2007, 12:17:41 pm »
That was terribly sad. I seem to remember he had walked essentially in a circle, and his body was found not too far from where the car was stuck.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.