Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4637879 times)

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2500 on: February 04, 2007, 10:59:34 pm »
The S.S. United States has been rotting down there in South Philly for about ten years now, maybe a year or two less. Seems like ten years, though.

The ship was taken out of service in 1969 and docked in Newport News Virginia.    She was kept in storage until 1992 until a new owner towed her to Turkey to have the asbestos removed.   The new owner ran out of money and the ship was towed back to the United States in 1996 when it arrived in Philly.   

The SS United States was purchased by the Norwegian Cruise Lines in 2004 . She will most likely be sailing on a east coast to west coast cruise route via the Panama Canal, says NCL's CEO, Colin Veitch.  Veitch says NCL is talking to ship yards about Big U refurbishment and that the ship could be sailing in six years.  NCL is still evaluating the options and opportunity the SS UNITED STATES presents.

Of course 3 years have gone by and nothing has been announced yet.   Rumor has it that the infamous high speed propulsion system is beyond repair.   The SS.United States still holds the record for the fastest transAtlantic crossing.   Its top speed was recorded at 43 knots.     Todays QM2 can only do 30 knots.

http://www.ssunitedstates.org/SSUShome.html

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2501 on: February 05, 2007, 09:14:23 am »
Good morning all. Cold here today (5 degrees) with a predicted high of 15. Clear and sunny, though. It is a little bit windy. Bundle up!

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2502 on: February 05, 2007, 09:19:16 am »
I guess David stayed up too late partying after the Super Bowl. I'll help him out...

Monday's Top Ten List

injest                9,329   
  Lucise               6,096   
  Garry_LH            4,815   
  MaineWriter        4,636   
  Front-Ranger       4,332   

louisev                3,470   
  Ellemeno             3,271 
  DavidinHartford     3,231   

David925             2,630   
  Fran                   2,599

Come on Fran, one more post for 2600!

Leslie

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2503 on: February 05, 2007, 09:21:44 am »
Speaking of the Super Bowl, I was so disappointed in the "fan ad" created by the guy here in Maine. It came on at the 2 minute warning and was only about 15 seconds long, so if you blinked, you missed it. What he pitched, and what they created, seemed so very different. I liked the pitch much better...it was very funny and touching. What actually got made...like I said if you blinked, you missed it, and if you didn't know what was going on, the whole thing probably just sailed on by you.

Leslie

Offline David

« Reply #2504 on: February 05, 2007, 09:40:10 am »
G'morning All!

Thanks for posting the top ten list Leslie.   Yeah, I slept in today till 7:49 am.     I worked last night until 8:00 pm so I didn't get to watch much of the game.    In all reality, now I watch the game to see the commercials!  LOL    I am always fascinated to see what kind of ads are worth $2 million a minute, or whatever they cost now.

Yesterday at NorthWest baggage, I spotted one of our TSA officers opening what looked like a Rifle case.   But it actually held an electric guitar.    Turns out it belonged to one of the Nelsons.   I didn't see which one it was, Gunnar or Matthew, but I guess they live in Connecticut somewhere.   

Can't say that i listen to their music, but the twins are still handsome.  Especially when they comb their hair!   LOL
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 10:20:31 am by DavidinHartford »

Offline David

« Reply #2505 on: February 05, 2007, 09:42:40 am »
Oh yeah!  BRRRRR!

7 deg F here in Hartford at 8 am.      And much like Leslies area, we will not get too much warmer today.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2506 on: February 05, 2007, 09:55:33 am »
   Yesterday at NorthWest baggage, I spotted one of our TSA officers opening what looked like a Rifle case.   But it actually held an electric guitar.    Turns out it belonged to one of the Nelsons.   I didn't see which one it was, Gunner or Matthew, but I guess they live in Connecticut somewhere.   

Can't say that i listen to their music, but the twins are still handsome.  Especially when they comb their hair!   LOL

Two handsome singers I've never heard of?  ???

OK, at the risk of making myself look like a complete idiot, seriously, are they any relation to Ricky Nelson--as in the Ozzie and Harriet Nelsons (am I dating myself, or what?  ;D )?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline David

« Reply #2507 on: February 05, 2007, 10:18:30 am »
Two handsome singers I've never heard of?  ???

OK, at the risk of making myself look like a complete idiot, seriously, are they any relation to Ricky Nelson--as in the Ozzie and Harriet Nelsons (am I dating myself, or what?  ;D )?

BINGO!   They are the twin sons of equally handsome Ricky Nelson.  RIP.

http://www.thenelsonbrothers.com/

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #2508 on: February 05, 2007, 10:20:57 am »
Here's the dad:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2509 on: February 05, 2007, 10:30:43 am »
Here's the dad:

Yup, Ricky Nelson was a hunk in his day. I remember that he had a daughter, Tracey (sp?), but I can't recall that I knew he had sons.

Thanks!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.