Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4636275 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2780 on: February 27, 2007, 06:41:28 pm »
Bear in mind, though, that a Wikipedia entry is only as good as its source. There was an article about that in The New Yorker a short while ago.

Leet? Only place I know that term from is in the ancient right of the lord a fief to hold "courts baron, courts leet, and view of frankpledge."  :laugh:

True, but in the case of LEET I think Wiki has reliable information.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #2781 on: February 27, 2007, 06:48:07 pm »
I'd adopt all the dogs and cats at the rescue if I could.

Oh yes! So would I. I have to be contented with paying my dues to the local animal welfare society and the pet haven they run, as often as I can afford to. There is so much cruelty towards animals, but luckily they've got some champions who do a lot of good work to help them and to find them good homes too.

A big Yay! to you, for giving a Rescue dog a good home.   :-* That's great! From the tiny picture Cody looks sweet and good-natured. Him being a Valentines day dog is perfect! I'm very, very fond of Goldens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2782 on: February 27, 2007, 08:08:59 pm »
True, but in the case of LEET I think Wiki has reliable information.

L

That one certainly had the ring of reliability.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2783 on: February 27, 2007, 08:51:40 pm »

Or, for that matter, that other annoyance of modern travel (not an issue on planes, I guess)--someone speaking LOUDLY on a cell phone. >:(  :P  ;D  :laugh:

OMG!     On my last trip back from NYC on Amtrak there was a guy yacking real loud on his Cell phone for over an hour.   It was late and everyone else on the train was tired and pin drop quiet.    When we pulled into New Haven to switch engines, he stepped outside to get a soda from a vending machine on the platform.

I turned to the rest of the passengers and said :"How the hell long can he go before his battery dies?"     The rest of the passengers burst out laughing!

Another passenger suggested we bribe a Porter to lock the doors to the rail car.

It never fails to amaze me that some people are so oblivious to the fact they are being rude.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #2784 on: February 28, 2007, 04:45:01 am »
OMG!     On my last trip back from NYC on Amtrak there was a guy yacking real loud on his Cell phone for over an hour.   It was late and everyone else on the train was tired and pin drop quiet.    When we pulled into New Haven to switch engines, he stepped outside to get a soda from a vending machine on the platform.

I turned to the rest of the passengers and said :"How the hell long can he go before his battery dies?"     The rest of the passengers burst out laughing!

Another passenger suggested we bribe a Porter to lock the doors to the rail car.

It never fails to amaze me that some people are so oblivious to the fact they are being rude.

:laugh:
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline David

« Reply #2785 on: February 28, 2007, 07:10:49 am »
Wednesdays Top Ten List!

injest  10227
Lucise  6376
Garry_LH  5229
MaineWriter  5102

Front-Ranger  4661
louisev  3388
DavidnHartford  3295
David  3075
Ellemeno  3021

Fran  2808

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2786 on: February 28, 2007, 07:30:10 am »
David,

You're up early today. Oh, right...it's Monday for you. LOL

19 degrees this morning. Looks a bit cloudy but not too bad. There is some talk of 12 inches of snow on Friday. Yikes!

For the record, I also don't like screaming children on planes, trains, or in restaurants, but as a parent, I try to be sympathetic. Cell phone blabbers are another story althogether!

What are we going to discuss today?

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline David

Coyotes at Chicago's O'Hare cause delays
« Reply #2787 on: February 28, 2007, 07:53:24 am »
Coyotes at Chicago's O'Hare cause delays
By Judy Keen, USA TODAY

CHICAGO — Two planes preparing to land at O'Hare International Airport aborted their landings after another pilot spotted coyotes near the runway, the Federal Aviation Administration said Tuesday.
The flights, operated by United and American airlines, did "go-arounds" and landed safely on their second attempts on Sunday, said FAA spokesman Tony Molinaro.

The pilots were about a quarter-mile from O'Hare with their landing gear down when they were warned, Molinaro said. The pilot of a flight landing ahead of them saw the coyotes and alerted controllers.

"We don't want to take any chances," Molinaro said. One pilot told his passengers why he had to make a second attempt at landing.

The FAA said reports of planes hitting wildlife quadrupled from 1,744 in 1990 to 7,136 in 2005 because there are more flights, more wildlife near airports and more reports from pilots. In the same period, 172 people were injured and nine died in such incidents, which resulted in $233 million in losses.

Even in urban areas, it's not unusual for coyotes to end up on runways. They're seen at O'Hare once or twice a week, Molinaro said. Of 198 coyotes hit by planes from 1990 to 2005, 23 were in Illinois.

"Coyotes know how to make a living in the urban environment," said Bill Stanley, collection manager for mammals at Chicago's Field Museum. Fewer coyotes are hunted and trapped, he said, and they are venturing closer to cities to hunt rabbits, birds and raccoons.

They frequent forest preserves and dumps that might be close to airports, Stanley said.

Coyotes are usually scared off when airport workers drive toward them, said O'Hare spokeswoman Wendy Abrams. The best way to keep them away is "ensuring that the airport's perimeter is secure" by maintaining fences so coyotes can't burrow under them, she said.

Coyotes, which can weigh as much as 50 pounds, can cause significant damage to aircraft. In October 2005, a 19-passenger Beechcraft 1900 turboprop hit a coyote on takeoff at the Ogdensburg, N.Y., airport. The nose gear collapsed, and the plane skidded to a stop. It was declared a total loss, according to FAA records.

Birds are responsible for more than 97% of mishaps involving airplanes and wildlife, the FAA said.

Stanley said coyotes are moving deeper into the city and breeding with dogs. One was recently hit by a car near the Art Institute of Chicago, which is in the heart of downtown, he said, and drowned coyotes have been found on Lake Michigan beaches north of the city.

ANIMALS IN THE FLIGHTPATH

Airplanes struck wildlife 66,392 times in the USA from 1990 to 2005. More than 97% of those incidents involved birds. A sampling of strikes involving other animals:

White-tailed deer: 652

Coyotes: 198

Alligators: 14

House cats: 11

Moose: 3

Source: Federal Aviation Administration

"What?  No Elk?"   <-- David

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2788 on: February 28, 2007, 04:41:13 pm »
There's a small pack of coyotes that come around my house nearly every night. They drive my dog crazy too.  >:(

They are very curious animals, and they get into just about everything; including our garbage cans.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David

« Reply #2789 on: March 01, 2007, 07:07:30 am »
Thursdays Top Ten List!

injest  10307
Lucise  6384
Garry_LH  5279
MaineWriter  5116

Front-Ranger  4661
louisev  3402