Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4621846 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2790 on: March 01, 2007, 07:51:51 am »
Morning all...

Tony changed the battery in my thermometer and since then, it doesn't register the temperature! Grrr. I am guessing it is 10 degrees out there but I might be wrong.

One foot of snow is predicted for tomorrow! Clear right now...

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #2791 on: March 01, 2007, 08:24:47 am »
Mornin' all (already noon for me)

weather is so dreadful in Germany: 8°C (46°F), rainy, windy, dull, wet and cold. The rain doesn't stop but for ten minutes every now and then. Does someone want to switch? Someone from where it's warm and sunny, mind you  ;D. Maybe California or Australia?

Another about children on airplanes, in restaurants, etc: in the end, it all comes down to consiterateness and respect towards others. There are parents who think their offspring is free to do anything, including disturbing and bothering others. But I think they are rare. Mostly I see parents who desperately try to rein their kids and feel embarrassed when they're misbehaving in public. And we all are not immune against inappropriate behaviour of our children, no matter how careful we try to raise them and no matter how well-behaved they usually may be.
Whereas it is debatable, what is acceptable behaviour and what's not.

More often I see adults who are intolerant and unfriendly towards children (and their parents) than I see children who are behaving like brats. There are adults who feel disturbed by the mere fact that there are children around them, not by the actual behaviour of the children. See David's triggering post. To support bans of children from planes, restaurants or other public places is a sign of heavy intolerance to me. Life is what happens outside you four walls. And children belong to it. Get used to it.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2792 on: March 01, 2007, 09:10:17 am »
Chrissi...I hope the weather is better in two weeks! Sightseeing in the pouring rain is not ideal   :(

21 degrees here (-6.1 deg C). The weather guys are wound up about this storm tomorrow! It sounds pretty definite that we'll get snow. The question is, how much?

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #2793 on: March 01, 2007, 09:31:25 am »
Chrissi...I hope the weather is better in two weeks! Sightseeing in the pouring rain is not ideal   :(

Hope so, too  :-\

But I guess it will. In German, we have a saying: "Wenn Engel reisen, gibt's schönes Wetter."
Literally this would be : When angels are travelling, the weather will be fine. See? The weather will have to be fine  ;).

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2794 on: March 01, 2007, 10:02:31 am »
Hope so, too  :-\

But I guess it will. In German, we have a saying: "Wenn Engel reisen, gibt's schönes Wetter."
Literally this would be : When angels are travelling, the weather will be fine. See? The weather will have to be fine  ;).

Oh, how lovely! Better than our Maine expression: "Don't like the weather? Wait a minute."

LOL

L

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2795 on: March 01, 2007, 10:05:43 am »
No snow coming for us Friday.  Just rain heavy at times they say.

My car is sooooo  dirty right now.  Yuck!     It is nice and sunny today.  But no point in washing it now.     :-\

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2796 on: March 01, 2007, 12:43:37 pm »
They are very curious animals, and they get into just about everything; including our garbage cans.

It's a mean of survival. Humans have been destroying their habitat and sources of food. I find it very sad and tragic to see wild animals eating garbage in order to survive. We are the bad ones.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2797 on: March 01, 2007, 12:52:11 pm »
Oh, how lovely! Better than our Maine expression: "Don't like the weather? Wait a minute."

LOL

L

Well, I'm loving the weather so far. Spring seems to be making an early arrival around here. Today's high is around 65º. However, I don't even want to think about the high temperatures we might be suffering during the summer.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2798 on: March 01, 2007, 11:41:39 pm »
Before this day is done, I just wanted to say Happy St. David's Day to our terrific moderator Davids. May you slay your Goliaths this year!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #2799 on: March 02, 2007, 03:30:59 am »
Watching kids' behavior in public, I used to, at times, heavily judge their parents.  "When I become a parent...," I'd think.  Ha.  Sometimes they are just not controllable.  Then we just have to get out of the public area as quickly as possible.  I've gone up to the closest grocery store employee, apologetically thrusted my nearly full cart at them and said, "Sorry, can you put this back, I've got to get her out of here."  I've walked up and down on the sidewalk outside the restaurant, bouncing her on my shoulder, waiting for the people we were with to finish and come out and take us home.  So anyway, for every parent who leaves their kid in the restaurant or other public space to bother others with their behavior, there ARE those of us who know that to be good citizens, we remove our kids when they can't calm themselves.

And you know what?  For my daughter, this emphasis on good manners to be able to stay places is reaping its rewards now.  She is 4, and for the most part she can stay quiet enough in a restaurant for a full meal.  She still usually needs to take a brief walk or two with me or her father to make it through a full meal, but we've learned to settle the check early, so that we can scoot if necessary.  And she knows I mean business that she can't stay if she can't have good restaurant manners.  Sometimes it seems she just CAN'T have good restaurant manners, then we leave pronto, and I'm usually not even mad at her, even if I am disappointed.  She'll get there.

Airplanes, though - oh man, if we adults weren't able to control ourselves, wouldn't we be fidgeting, crying, screaming, poking, clambering too?  Good point about ear pain - if a kid is screaming on a plane, good chance they are experiencing big ear pain and are scared about it.  Who has it worse, us who have to listen to them, or them who have to endure it?