Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4637833 times)

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5480 on: December 14, 2007, 02:29:43 pm »
Oh, we are in better shape than that! Schools are open, streets are plowed. Everyone is gearing up for the big storm on Sunday, which some are calling a "nor'easter" and others are calling a blizzard. What's the difference? From what I have read, a blizzard would be a subset of a nor'easter, because a blizzard is a snowstorm, while a nor'easter can be snow or rain.

I found this description at answers.com:

A nor'easter is a macro-scale storm whose winds come from the northeast, especially in the coastal areas of the Northeastern United States and Atlantic Canada. More specifically, it describes a low pressure area whose center of rotation is just off the coast and whose leading winds in the left forward quadrant rotate onto land from the northeast. The precipitation pattern is similar to other extratropical storms. They also can cause coastal flooding, coastal erosion and gale force winds.

Whether you want to call it a blizzard or nor'easter, it looks like we are in for some serious weather on Sunday. That means, stock up on provisions tomorrow and be prepared to enjoy a nice quiet day at home!

L

Indeed.  Today is a cleanup day here too.    Thank goodness today is my day off.   It took me 5 hours to shovel out the walk and driveway.   The plow did come by around 8:30 am and made one pass down the middle of the street.    But that was useless to me as there was a good ten feet of snow a foot deep between there are my driveway.    The plow came back and widened the street at noontime.    Now I can get out but I know they'll make another pass later and plow in my driveway with even more snow.      I really wanted to go to the movies today and see "I an legend" but I don't want to come home and have to shovel my way in again.

I'll go to the movies tomorrow I think.      The Nor'Easter is supposed to start Saturday evening.    I suppose we'll all be outside again Sunday morning digging out all over again.      And yes, I'll have to be at the Airport Sunday afternoon.   I'm sure because of all the cancelled flights it will be a nightmare there with people rebooking.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5481 on: December 14, 2007, 04:44:44 pm »
More coming on Sunday! 

My meteorologist friend predicts over a foot of snow on Sunday for your area. A regular blizzard! Don't go out from behind your computer, Paul!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #5482 on: December 14, 2007, 05:57:37 pm »
Oh, we are in better shape than that! Schools are open, streets are plowed. Everyone is gearing up for the big storm on Sunday, which some are calling a "nor'easter" and others are calling a blizzard. What's the difference? From what I have read, a blizzard would be a subset of a nor'easter, because a blizzard is a snowstorm, while a nor'easter can be snow or rain.

I found this description at answers.com:

A nor'easter is a macro-scale storm whose winds come from the northeast, especially in the coastal areas of the Northeastern United States and Atlantic Canada. More specifically, it describes a low pressure area whose center of rotation is just off the coast and whose leading winds in the left forward quadrant rotate onto land from the northeast. The precipitation pattern is similar to other extratropical storms. They also can cause coastal flooding, coastal erosion and gale force winds.

Whether you want to call it a blizzard or nor'easter, it looks like we are in for some serious weather on Sunday. That means, stock up on provisions tomorrow and be prepared to enjoy a nice quiet day at home!

L

"Blizzard" is a term that gets bandied about rather casually. I think the National Weather Service has criteria for a blizzard (just as they do to differentiate between a "tropical storm" and a "hurricane"). I believe it has to do with a combination of both wind speed and how much snow falls in a given period, probably an hour. But I don't recall exactly what the parameters are. So in theory you can have a very heavy snowfall that isn't technically a blizzard because the wind isn't strong enough at the time the snow falls.

I wouldn't mind being in Boston right now. Sounds like fun. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5483 on: December 14, 2007, 06:33:15 pm »
"Blizzard" is a term that gets bandied about rather casually. I think the National Weather Service has criteria for a blizzard (just as they do to differentiate between a "tropical storm" and a "hurricane"). I believe it has to do with a combination of both wind speed and how much snow falls in a given period, probably an hour. But I don't recall exactly what the parameters are. So in theory you can have a very heavy snowfall that isn't technically a blizzard because the wind isn't strong enough at the time the snow falls.

In the United States, the National Weather Service defines a blizzard as sustained 35 mph (56 km/h) winds which leads to blowing snow and causes visibilities of ¼ mile or less, lasting for at least 3 hours. Temperature is not taken into consideration when issuing a blizzard warning, but the nature of these storms are such that cold air is often present when the other criteria are met.

Blizzards are formed when a high pressure system, also known as a ridge, interacts with a low pressure system; this results in the advection of air from the high pressure zone into the low pressure area.

Note that this latter characteristic (the pressure systems) is the same thing that causes a nor'easter, but  nor'easter, as I said earlier, can be a rain or snowstorm. That's why I suggested that a blizzard is a particular type of nor'easter, particularly here in the northeast!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5484 on: December 14, 2007, 07:49:30 pm »
In the United States, the National Weather Service defines a blizzard as sustained 35 mph (56 km/h) winds which leads to blowing snow and causes visibilities of ¼ mile or less, lasting for at least 3 hours. Temperature is not taken into consideration when issuing a blizzard warning, but the nature of these storms are such that cold air is often present when the other criteria are met.

Blizzards are formed when a high pressure system, also known as a ridge, interacts with a low pressure system; this results in the advection of air from the high pressure zone into the low pressure area.

Note that this latter characteristic (the pressure systems) is the same thing that causes a nor'easter, but  nor'easter, as I said earlier, can be a rain or snowstorm. That's why I suggested that a blizzard is a particular type of nor'easter, particularly here in the northeast!

L

Indeed! I guess a nor'easter is an East Coast, maybe even a Midatlantic and New England, phenomenon. They don't have nor'easters in the Great Plains, but they sure as heck have blizzards!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5485 on: December 14, 2007, 07:59:11 pm »
Indeed! I guess a nor'easter is an East Coast, maybe even a Midatlantic and New England, phenomenon. They don't have nor'easters in the Great Plains, but they sure as heck have blizzards!

And according to what I just saw on the NBC Nightly news, we can all expect miserable weather, from the mountains, through the plains, and onto the east coast. It looks miserable. Tomorrow...go to the store and stock up on provisions so I can enjoy a quiet day at home on Sunday, watching the wind whip around outside.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5486 on: December 14, 2007, 08:02:01 pm »
And according to what I just saw on the NBC Nightly news, we can all expect miserable weather, from the mountains, through the plains, and onto the east coast. It looks miserable. Tomorrow...go to the store and stock up on provisions so I can enjoy a quiet day at home on Sunday, watching the wind whip around outside.

L

Do what they do in Pennsylvania: Stock up on bread, milk, and eggs, 'cause when it snows down here, everybody has to make French toast. That's the rule.  ;D

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5487 on: December 14, 2007, 08:06:37 pm »
Do what they do in Pennsylvania: Stock up on bread, milk, and eggs, 'cause when it snows down here, everybody has to make French toast. That's the rule.  ;D

I am amazed when I go to the store, to see the people who are loading up on beer and white bread...lousy white bread like wonder bread. And I wonder, what exactly are they going to do with all that beer and white bread? Drink like fish and then eat the bread to absorb it? It makes no sense to me.

Now French toast, that sounds like a good idea...don't forget the maple syrup!

L

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #5488 on: December 14, 2007, 10:01:06 pm »

Depends on your definition of "fun".  If you enjoy ankle-deep slush, foot-plus drifts to shovel, spinning your wheels, 4+ hours commutes, then...

I've lived in the city for twenty years and I've never seen such a complete shut-down as yesterday's storm provided. 

Don't know about French toast, but we're getting ready for Sunday's mess. 

My idea of "fun" is tending to my sore muscles in the hot tub with a nice glass of calvados.  Ahhh.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5489 on: December 14, 2007, 11:32:12 pm »
I am amazed when I go to the store, to see the people who are loading up on beer and white bread...lousy white bread like wonder bread. And I wonder, what exactly are they going to do with all that beer and white bread? Drink like fish and then eat the bread to absorb it? It makes no sense to me.

Now French toast, that sounds like a good idea...don't forget the maple syrup!

L

Beer and toilet paper I could understand, but beer and Wonder Bread?  ???

Depends on your definition of "fun".  If you enjoy ankle-deep slush, foot-plus drifts to shovel, spinning your wheels, 4+ hours commutes, then...

Sounds to me like living intensely.  :)