Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4621979 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5980 on: January 29, 2008, 01:01:45 pm »
Morning all,

19 degrees with a pink sky as the sun comes up. It's nice that it has gotten to the point where it is light in the morning when I leave for school and work.

L

And it's light in the evening when I get home from work--if I go directly home from work.  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5981 on: January 29, 2008, 01:17:23 pm »

Morning all.

A tiny request -
Is there anyone out there living in a moderately cold to warm environment who wishes to trade places with me for a bit? lol..

Yesterday, temperatures here were a mere -46 degrees Celcius and today, well, it is a bit warmer at -38 deg C.

I could use a break from it.  Anyone up for experiencing some Canadian winter firsthand?  ;)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #5982 on: January 29, 2008, 01:22:08 pm »

Aww sweetie, i am sorry you have such a nasty time of it this winter. ' Shit, thats hard."
Sorry cant take no Canada just now.. But i will think of you til the weather gets better.

Beautiful mind

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5983 on: January 29, 2008, 01:25:47 pm »

Gee, thanks J.  How very thoughtful of you..lol..

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #5984 on: January 29, 2008, 01:44:11 pm »
Morning all.

A tiny request -
Is there anyone out there living in a moderately cold to warm environment who wishes to trade places with me for a bit? lol..

Yesterday, temperatures here were a mere -46 degrees Celcius and today, well, it is a bit warmer at -38 deg C.

I could use a break from it.  Anyone up for experiencing some Canadian winter firsthand?  ;)

I'm contemplating it. You get three lil darlins, a big dog with a sensitive stomach (read: tends to throw up) and a husband for trade. The husband is low maintainance, but the rest .....

But yes, it's warm here, compared to your place: today we had around 10°C, the sun was shining and the birds were singing. Already a bit like spring.

Honestly, I've never been in a place so cold. I have no idea how it feels and I'm curious to experience it one day (but only for a short while).

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #5985 on: January 29, 2008, 01:51:49 pm »
Here. Got you another polar jacket:

And a big warm hug:
(Milli)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5986 on: January 29, 2008, 02:22:16 pm »
It's nice here today, too...up to 45 degrees right now. Lance took my car to get gas and said he thought about putting the convertible top down!

The coldest I have ever been was about 15 years ago, here in Maine. It was January and we were having overnight lows of -35 and -40 degrees. In some towns in the mountains, it hit -56. During the day, it never even got up to zero. I remember one day when the "high" of the day was -15. That cold snap (more of the famous Arctic air) went on for a week. (All temperatures are fahrenheit.)

I don't know how to even describe it. Everything is cold. The house, even with the heat on, is cold. It takes the heat in the car forever to warm up. You don't dare go outside with hat, mittens, scarf, hood up, and warm coat.

I had a half-empty bottle of water in the car. I went to a two hour meeting and when I came out, it was frozen solid.

Fortunately, these super-duper frigid cold spells are rare. I've lived here 30 years -- that one (15 years ago) was by far the worst. Brrr!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5987 on: January 29, 2008, 03:37:46 pm »
Here. Got you another polar jacket:

And a big warm hug:
(Milli)

Thanks bud!  :-*

And yeah, I'll take on the 3 lil darlins and the dog and the low-maintenance hubby. 
When are you coming?  ;D

I don't know how to even describe it. Everything is cold. The house, even with the heat on, is cold. It takes the heat in the car forever to warm up. You don't dare go outside with hat, mittens, scarf, hood up, and warm coat.

Indeed.

I definitely layer up pretty good so that's fine... after walking a block or two, you still end up with a frozen eyelashes though ..lol.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5988 on: January 29, 2008, 03:59:51 pm »

I definitely layer up pretty good so that's fine... after walking a block or two, you still end up with a frozen eyelashes though ..lol.

I've heard that in Alaska, everyone leaves their car running...when they are doing errands, for example. Run into the post office, leave the car on. Go to the grocery store, leave the car on. Do they do that where you are, Milli?

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #5989 on: January 29, 2008, 04:02:09 pm »
When are you coming?  ;D

As soon as either of the following occurs

a) I win the lottery
b) You win the lottery
c) Some heavenly miracle happens and both of us will find all expenses paid flight tickets in our mailboxes (although I have a better idea for a heavenly miracle  :().

Thank you Leslie and Milli for your description of cold, I mean really cold. Onehunnerdthousand degrees cold, shit like that.  ;D