Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4622229 times)

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5990 on: January 29, 2008, 05:36:06 pm »
Random memory hits....

Couple of years ago it was ca. minus 50 degrees C up in Northern Norway (on the northern plains). I vividly recall TV showing one of the local women, a lapp, bringing a pan of boiling water right outside her door and throwing the water into the air. It turned to ice immediately and fell to earth as snow.

Now, that's cold. Brrrrr.  :o

**Warm thoughts to everyone here!**  :-*

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #5991 on: January 29, 2008, 05:45:50 pm »
Random memory hits....

Couple of years ago it was ca. minus 50 degrees C up in Northern Norway (on the northern plains). I vividly recall TV showing one of the local women, a lapp, bringing a pan of boiling water right outside her door and throwing the water into the air. It turned to ice immediately and fell to earth as snow.

Now, that's cold. Brrrrr.  :o

**Warm thoughts to everyone here!**  :-*

Cold but cool!  8)

I'd love to do that! LOL
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #5992 on: January 29, 2008, 07:07:56 pm »
David, I found an excellent airport security blog item that just reminded me of you!

http://jezebel.com/350328/rachel-zoe-unloads-luxury-accessories-all-over-airport-security

Rachel Zoe Unloads Luxury Accessories All Over Airport Security
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5993 on: January 29, 2008, 07:22:15 pm »
I've heard that in Alaska, everyone leaves their car running...when they are doing errands, for example. Run into the post office, leave the car on. Go to the grocery store, leave the car on. Do they do that where you are, Milli?

L

That is not common here, although I've seen some people who do (usually with another passenger waiting in the car... just in case someone gets a bright idea to break the window and make off with your car).   :)

What sucks this time of year is the number of accidents on the roads - icy streets, poor visibility, etc..

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #5994 on: January 30, 2008, 01:44:27 am »

(although I have a better idea for a heavenly miracle  :().

{{{{{{{Chrissi}}}}}}}

Thanks for the hoorays on my 8000, everybody.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #5995 on: January 30, 2008, 04:06:10 am »

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #5996 on: January 30, 2008, 07:14:14 am »
Three hours later (than my previous post, that is) .....

I'm getting glasses  :o
I'm just back from the optician. My friend Kerstin and I talked recently about having the feeling of not seeing too good anymore. I have this feeling for years now, but never did anything about it. Now she took the plunge first and her feeling was right, indeed she needs glasses.
So I thought it might be the same for me and went to an optician today. I have -0.75 dioptre (diopter in AE?) and -1.0 dioptre.

Huu-huuuu. I turned 40 only three weeks ago and now am getting glasses. I'm feeling old, someone please tell me I look like 20  ;)  :laugh:. Nah, not really. I'm all right.  :)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5997 on: January 30, 2008, 07:53:30 am »
Morning all,

We're having a heat wave here...38 degrees and the sun isn't even up yet! It's not bright this morning (like it was yesterday). Looks like we have a cloudy day in store.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5998 on: January 30, 2008, 08:03:20 am »
Three hours later (than my previous post, that is) .....

I'm getting glasses  :o
I'm just back from the optician. My friend Kerstin and I talked recently about having the feeling of not seeing too good anymore. I have this feeling for years now, but never did anything about it. Now she took the plunge first and her feeling was right, indeed she needs glasses.
So I thought it might be the same for me and went to an optician today. I have -0.75 dioptre (diopter in AE?) and -1.0 dioptre.

Huu-huuuu. I turned 40 only three weeks ago and now am getting glasses. I'm feeling old, someone please tell me I look like 20  ;)  :laugh:. Nah, not really. I'm all right.  :)

The turning 40 and having your vision thing go sucks big time.

I always had perfect vision and then my 40s came. I managed to stay out of glasses til I was 42. First I had to wear the magnifying glasses you can buy at the drugstore (cheap and no prescription needed). Then I needed bifocals, which I hated. Then they said I needed trifocals. No way!

In 2003, I had CK done on my eyes. It's a radio frequency procedure (not Laser). One eye was corrected for distance vision and the other for reading. It took a little tweaking (ie, repeat procedures) but within 6 months I was glasses-free. It was great.

That lasted til about a year or two ago. I started needing glasses for reading (my distance vision is great). I can still wear the drugstore glasses and don't need a prescription. This time, if I wanted the near vision corrected, they'd have to do Lasik (laser). I am debating whether or not (or when) to have it done. I think my threshold is if I get to the point that I have to wear glasses while eating, I'll have it done. I hate having fuzzy food on the plate but I don't like to wear glasses to eat. And I think I am getting close to that point.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5999 on: January 30, 2008, 08:07:18 am »
David hasn't been here for a few days. I hope he's okay...

Wednesday's Top Ten List

injest  23780
Garry_LH  11245
MaineWriter  10606
dot-matrix  9324
Front-Ranger  9294

Lucise  8507
David  8077
Ellemeno  8071

Sheriff Roland  6481
Jeff Wrangler  6146