Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4623331 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6420 on: March 22, 2008, 06:08:23 am »
Thanks everybody for you answers to "Godfriday". It's a bit starnge though. I can easily believe that I am wrong about it. After all, it's been two decades that I finished school  :laugh:. But I find it strange that we had a conversation about it last week and my English "teacher" said exactly the same thing. Hm *shrugs*. Perhaps she went to the same school I did and learned the same cr*p  ;) :laugh:

Another question I had...when you talked about getting your tattoo, you mentioned your "motive"... not in relation to why you wanted to do it, but more in relation to design. That is not the word I would expect...I would think "pattern," "transfer," or "design." Can you explain?

L

Ha, I knew it was an odd word to use in this context! Of course I meant "design", but the word had slipped me for a moment. So I looked it up in my online dictionary. The German word is "Motiv" and the dictionary translated it with motif, motive or theme.
Motive did feel strange to me in this combination, but I used it anyway.

In German, Motiv can be both, a reason to do something or a pattern.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #6421 on: March 22, 2008, 07:08:53 am »
Good morning everybody,

Another chilly Saturday....19 degrees! They are already talking about a big storm next Tuesday and Wednesday. Hopefully it will be just rain!

My son is home from college for his spring break. Yahoo!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #6422 on: March 22, 2008, 07:12:11 am »
Hi Chrissi,

How about a German lesson for me? "Speck Knodel aus Semmelbrot & Raucherspeck." (I can't put the umlauts on, sorry but you know where they go!)

We made these for dinner last night (thanks again for the gift!) but now everyone is asking me, "What exactly are these, Mom?" LOL

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #6423 on: March 22, 2008, 10:33:54 am »

Ha, I knew it was an odd word to use in this context! Of course I meant "design", but the word had slipped me for a moment. So I looked it up in my online dictionary. The German word is "Motiv" and the dictionary translated it with motif, motive or theme.
Motive did feel strange to me in this combination, but I used it anyway.

In German, Motiv can be both, a reason to do something or a pattern.

Motiv = motief in Dutch, both meanings too (design and motive).

Maybe your english teacher is behind the online dictionary too!  ;D
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #6424 on: March 23, 2008, 07:44:25 am »
Morning all,

21 degrees on Easter Sunday. I don't think we'll be hunting for eggs in the garden...heck, I can't even see the garden! LOL. That's not entirely true. The front garden is almost snowfree and there are little green shoots of crocuses and tulips peeking out. We will have flowers one day!

L

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #6425 on: March 23, 2008, 07:53:44 am »
Morning all,

21 degrees on Easter Sunday. I don't think we'll be hunting for eggs in the garden...heck, I can't even see the garden! LOL. That's not entirely true. The front garden is almost snowfree and there are little green shoots of crocuses and tulips peeking out. We will have flowers one day!

L

He he. Can you believe it snowed today in Germany? The second time for the whole winter we got a few snowflakes. Now everything has thawed away.

This was the first time ever we had to hide the Easter eggs and presents for the kids in the house, not in the garden.  ::)

Busy day today. We've already had the Easter eggs hunt, a small birthday celebration, made a torte and cleaned the house.
This afternoon, relatives are coming over to celebrate my daughter's B-day. She's 12 today.
Where is my baby?  :o ;)

Happy Easter Brokies!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #6426 on: March 23, 2008, 08:08:15 am »
Hi Chrissi,

How about a German lesson for me? "Speck Knodel aus Semmelbrot & Raucherspeck." (I can't put the umlauts on, sorry but you know where they go!)

We made these for dinner last night (thanks again for the gift!) but now everyone is asking me, "What exactly are these, Mom?" LOL

L

I'd translate it "Bacon dumplings made of bread rolls and smoked bacon".

We have different kinds of dumplings; of raw potatoes, 1/1 of raw and 1/2 of cooked potatoes, sweet dumplings, etc. These ones are made of old bread rolls (more than one day old).

Speck is not exactly bacon. Bacon can be Schinken, Schinkenspeck or Speck in German. All three are similar, but the relation of fat and meat are different. Schinken is mostly meat with little fat, Schinkenspeck has more fat and Speck still more.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #6427 on: March 24, 2008, 06:51:43 am »
Still too cold for my taste, too, with a big whopping 12 degrees this morning....

L

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6428 on: March 24, 2008, 10:46:27 am »
Well, now that spring has officially arrived, we woke up with SNOW this morning! And it's March 24th!  :o We didn't have any snow last winter. It was weird looking out of the window this morning. Fortunately, that snow barely stuck a hour.  ;D

It's an official holiday over here. I'm going to finish reading The Queen's Gambit today and eat some chocolate easter eggs of course.  :)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6429 on: March 25, 2008, 03:15:16 am »
Good morning everyone!

It's a sunny spring day over here. Wait, did I say 'spring'?  :-\

This is what my front garden looks like:

The spring flowers are having a hard time I think.

There's one upside of course. Not much gardering chores you can do in this weather.