Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4635909 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7250 on: July 16, 2008, 09:35:50 am »
Regarding notebooks...

Something both my children have had to do...and I never did...they teachers want them to have a specific size 3-ring binder, with specific dividers. The kids have to organize their assignments, notes, handouts, etc. in the notebook. They are given class time to do this and it is also given as a homework assignment. Then they hand them in to be graded. I guess it is designed to teach organization skills but back in the old days, we all just figured it out on our own.

And Jeff, yes, we used to have fundraisers but it seems more pervasive and more constant nowadays. Lance was active in the drama club and the boosters raised money for all the productions. They also solicited donations for paint, lumber for sets, etc. I wasn't super-active in drama in high school but I don't remember activities like that going on. It seemed that all clubs had funds provided to them through the club budget of the school.

Bel--I saw that article about the college professors dropping required texts. It seems many of them are fed up with the high expense and also "the racket" of textbook publishers....ie, bringing out a new edition every year so the old edition is obsolete and worthless. Lance has run up against this...the used book buyers won't buy a book if a newer edition is out. It really is a bit of a scam.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #7251 on: July 16, 2008, 10:14:00 am »
Something both my children have had to do...and I never did...they teachers want them to have a specific size 3-ring binder, with specific dividers. The kids have to organize their assignments, notes, handouts, etc. in the notebook. They are given class time to do this and it is also given as a homework assignment. Then they hand them in to be graded. I guess it is designed to teach organization skills but back in the old days, we all just figured it out on our own.

I never had to do that, either. As a matter of fact, at least through the end of grammar/elementary school, all our supplies were provided by the school--pencils, paper, crayons, scissors--everything. Actually I have no memory of the situation in my junior high (grades 7--9) years, or high school--except for not being told what supplies we had to provide ourselves.  :-\  I always loved it just past the middle of summer when the stores started to fill up with school supplies, even though we didn't have to supply them. I suppose, maybe, the parochial schools required students and their parents to provide their own supplies.

I remember one teacher showing us how to use paper grocery bags to make covers for our books.  :)

And Jeff, yes, we used to have fundraisers but it seems more pervasive and more constant nowadays. Lance was active in the drama club and the boosters raised money for all the productions. They also solicited donations for paint, lumber for sets, etc. I wasn't super-active in drama in high school but I don't remember activities like that going on. It seemed that all clubs had funds provided to them through the club budget of the school.

It probably is, as funds have been cut back for extracurricular activities.

"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #7252 on: July 16, 2008, 02:22:28 pm »
Chrissi - wow thats extortionate..

I'd say my expereince is exactly like Lesley's - even up to the college books and things - only difference is we didn't have to buy certain ruled jotters or anything - we bought our own pens pensils, calculators etc but you could buy whatever and the Jotters were provided by the school.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7253 on: July 16, 2008, 06:27:13 pm »
Chrissi - wow thats extortionate..

I'd say my expereince is exactly like Lesley's - even up to the college books and things - only difference is we didn't have to buy certain ruled jotters or anything - we bought our own pens pensils, calculators etc but you could buy whatever and the Jotters were provided by the school.

jotters??
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #7254 on: July 16, 2008, 07:40:55 pm »
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
jot·ter   Audio Help   /ˈdʒɒtər/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[jot-er] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. a person who jots things down. 
2. a small notebook. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1880–85; jot + -er1]
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #7255 on: July 16, 2008, 10:38:23 pm »
The Jotters...I love it. I need to teach my daughter that term...

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline KristinDaBomb

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
    • My Blog
« Reply #7256 on: July 17, 2008, 01:53:21 am »
Less than 950 posts and you'll be official, Kristin!  Meanwhile, don't be shy about keeping us company.  ;D

Haha thanks. :D I'll try to be better and post more lo.
xoxo

~Kristin~

<3

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #7257 on: July 17, 2008, 06:55:31 am »
Morning all,

Another nice day in store. 65 degrees and the birds are singing.

L

Offline Artiste

« Reply #7258 on: July 17, 2008, 08:51:04 am »
            Bonjour !

As the birds sing, maybe you are singing too ? !!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #7259 on: July 17, 2008, 08:56:28 am »
       Congratulations to you cher/dear Rich, loneleeb3, on your interesting 4,000 posts!           

Au revoir,
hugs!