Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4636334 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9730 on: March 25, 2009, 02:26:33 pm »

Hey, that's from NDR, a German TV channel.

I feel old :-\. I remember all the songs that were posted :laugh:
(*shhht* but at least I never owned them ;) *runs from oilgun*)

I can't watch the video (dial-up) but I remember "Fly Robin Fly". I was in junior high school when that song came out. 8th grade I think. :)

For some reason everytime I hear that song I think about Florida. I think we were getting ready to take a trip to Florida when I first heard the song. And it was on the school bus! Our bus driver used to have WNDE tuned in on the radio each morning.

I also think of Florida each time I hear Elton John's Philadelphia Freedom. We were in a Miami restaurant the first time I heard that song. Isn't it weird how our memories work?
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #9731 on: March 25, 2009, 02:29:13 pm »
62 F here in Indianapolis! Yesterday it was in the 70s. It is supposed to get colder though. It might even snow on Sunday! But they said the cold snap will only last a day or two and then it will warm back up again.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #9732 on: March 25, 2009, 02:54:04 pm »
There's a good reason for that, Chrissi.  Silver Convention is a German act!  "Penny McLean" is actually Gertrude Wirschinger!!  Maybe that explains why their songs only contain six (English) words...

As in..."Fly, Robin, Fly, Up, Up to the Sky". 

And this one, also with only six words:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUG79S1YHmM[/youtube]

OMG! That's disco with Ilja Richter!
You're dishing out childhood memories for me, Paul! :D Ilja Richter and his show disco are legend! He had a standard opening:

"Hallo Freunde" (Hello friends), and the audience responded unisono "Hallo Ilja". And after indtroducing a title, he said "Licht aus - Spot an" (Lights out - spot on).

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uJIwUegxSo[/youtube]

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #9733 on: March 25, 2009, 03:39:28 pm »
I can't watch the video (dial-up) but I remember "Fly Robin Fly". I was in junior high school when that song came out. 8th grade I think. :)

For some reason everytime I hear that song I think about Florida. I think we were getting ready to take a trip to Florida when I first heard the song. And it was on the school bus! Our bus driver used to have WNDE tuned in on the radio each morning.

I also think of Florida each time I hear Elton John's Philadelphia Freedom. We were in a Miami restaurant the first time I heard that song. Isn't it weird how our memories work?

Yeah, David, I too associate certain songs with places.  Whenever I hear Lisa Stansfield's "All Around the World", I always think of Paris in 1990, as it was all over the radio!  I remember that when I returned from my six-week trip, who should be playing the Opera House in Boston?  Lisa Stansfield! 

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf9q0DN0dGw[/youtube]

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #9734 on: March 25, 2009, 03:41:54 pm »

OMG! That's disco with Ilja Richter!
You're dishing out childhood memories for me, Paul! :D Ilja Richter and his show disco are legend! He had a standard opening:

"Hallo Freunde" (Hello friends), and the audience responded unisono "Hallo Ilja". And after indtroducing a title, he said "Licht aus - Spot an" (Lights out - spot on).

Hallo Chrissi!

Chuck started this little musical tangent when he mentioned "the bump".

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exPT3iFTyks[/youtube]

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9735 on: March 25, 2009, 03:42:23 pm »

Hey, that's from NDR, a German TV channel.

I feel old :-\. I remember all the songs that were posted :laugh:
(*shhht* but at least I never owned them ;) *runs from oilgun*)

:laugh: I can't say I was very selective in those days, that's for sure.
I also have the Gloria Gaynor classic album which basically welcomed me into the gay community. It was a monster hit at gay "dances", remember those?  Here's one of the three hit songs from Side A:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p35fXbtD30Q&feature=related[/youtube]

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9736 on: March 25, 2009, 05:36:50 pm »
What no mention of Wham !  I can remember my first husband dancing up a storm to young guns. I turned to a friend and said, it's normally only gay guys who dance so well. !!!

How prophetic that turned out to be. Not so very long after, he came out and not long after that so did George Michael. It was a close thing who was more gorgeous, my ex husband or Mr George himself !!

I know I never danced with my husband(except the last slow dance) as he was just way out of my league, I loved watching him though.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #9737 on: March 25, 2009, 06:16:48 pm »
When I think of music that I danced to in nightclubs, I think freestyle.

One of the big freestyle hits was in 1989, by 16 year old Shana.  This one played in all the clubs, and crossed over to pop radio as well.

"I Want You".

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WiDFmqqY0U&feature=PlayList&p=AF4BC1886BC6629D&index=18[/youtube]

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #9738 on: March 26, 2009, 08:30:20 am »
Good morning. A fine mist falling this morning, and temp. 42 F when I left for work this morning.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #9739 on: March 26, 2009, 08:31:46 am »
When I think of music that I danced to in nightclubs, I think freestyle.

You? Really? No kiddin'? Who'd a ever thunk it!

;D  ;)  :-*
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.