Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3166125 times)

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #6090 on: November 03, 2006, 07:39:37 am »
I'm not sure if what bothers this reader is that there is too much explicit sex written in the book or if Ennis and Ellery are having too much sex, which is different. If it is the first, he/she better not read the rest of the books, otherwise he/she is bound to have a heart attack once Ennis and Ellery start it with the paddles! LOL

If it is the second, well I thought it was realistic that they were at it like rabbits in Taking Chances. That is what happens when you start a new relationship. The great majority of healthy individuals, once they start having sex with someone they really, really like, they find it hard to stop. And you all know it is true. This is something that happens to almost everyone. And it happened in Brokeback Mountain too, when Ennis and Jack were sheepherding. Come on, they even got their sheep mixed up because of it!  ;)

« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 07:46:17 am by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #6091 on: November 03, 2006, 08:19:07 am »
It was only R rated because it was men, not because of the sex, because there wasnt really that much. :'( :'( :'( :'(

I think it was R rated because of the liberal use of the word "fuck" which in my mind, generates an instant R (ridiculously, I think).

Casanova was rated R which was really absurd...there was nothing in that, to my way of thinking. I read something that it was because of the footsie scene with Heath (Casanova) and Sienna Miller but please....

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #6092 on: November 03, 2006, 08:30:52 am »

But don't take this as a request to write one less word, Louise. LOL

Leslie

;D  Oh, this really made me LOL, Leslie  ;D

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #6093 on: November 03, 2006, 08:32:09 am »
What!!?!! What!!!???!!! :o

Souxi! June! Are you reading this!  ;)

Karen

Hahahaha Karen! Are we *that* bad?!??  ;D

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6094 on: November 03, 2006, 08:34:10 am »
Hahahaha Karen! Are we *that* bad?!??  ;D

Oh no not bad.

A tad frisky perhaps  ;)

Karen

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #6095 on: November 03, 2006, 08:35:13 am »
Well,  if you were to submit this story in writing for movie consideration, I think you'd have to pull out about everyother sex scene!!!  LOL.          And then tone down the rest just to be able to get an R-rating!     LOL.

It's funny - I was just talking to someone who had recently seen BBM and told them about the storyline of the Saga. I also briefly mentioned all the kerfuffle it had stirred up. She immediately said "Well what if it were to be made into a film - that would really upset them." I said "A film?" She said "Yes. If someone who knew someone and gave them the story it could be a film."

Louise maybe she was channelling a message from the cosmos. Take note.
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #6096 on: November 03, 2006, 08:35:32 am »
I got my smile for the day reading all this discussion!  Everyone is entitled to their opinion, however!  But Natali and Leslie are quite correct to point out that when they first got together, there was a lot of booze, a lot of Percodan, and a few back strains in there due to the extreme volatility of their relationship at the beginning.   In the ensuing months they have been renegotiating and getting to know one another, calming down somewhat and not being so desperate to prove anything - particularly Ellery, who felt he had to be Johnny on the spot sexually whenever Ennis wanted him.  Both of them were profoundly insecure, particularly at the beginning!

“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #6097 on: November 03, 2006, 08:35:53 am »
Oh no not bad.

A tad frisky perhaps  ;)

Karen

Frisky...me? noooooooooo, you must be thinking of June, she,s a shocker she is..terrible influence on me too. ;) ;) ;D :laugh:

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #6098 on: November 03, 2006, 08:37:04 am »
I think it was R rated because of the liberal use of the word "fuck" which in my mind, generates an instant R (ridiculously, I think).

Casanova was rated R which was really absurd...there was nothing in that, to my way of thinking. I read something that it was because of the footsie scene with Heath (Casanova) and Sienna Miller but please....

Leslie

You know, I've never understood the problem a lot of Americans have with the word Fuck  ???  Movie ratings in Holland are so much more relaxed.
Casanova was rated PG in Holland!

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #6099 on: November 03, 2006, 08:37:41 am »
It's funny - I was just talking to someone who had recently seen BBM and told them about the storyline of the Saga. I also briefly mentioned all the kerfuffle it had stirred up. She immediately said "Well what if it were to be made into a film - that would really upset them." I said "A film?" She said "Yes. If someone who knew someone and gave them the story it could be a film."

Louise maybe she was channelling a message from the cosmos. Take note.

I,m praying already. June get to church and start praying please. ;) ;) ;D :laugh: