Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3166863 times)

Offline scudder

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #7090 on: November 19, 2006, 08:37:09 pm »
Lucis, you are a genious.  How do you do it?  Never mind, just keep it up.

Offline magicmountain

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Fire from heaven
« Reply #7091 on: November 19, 2006, 10:11:31 pm »
...  just keep it up.

Well that's certainly one lesson Ennis has learned!
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7092 on: November 19, 2006, 10:18:59 pm »
Well that's certainly one lesson Ennis has learned!

hee hee.. I can't say I can argue with that.   8)

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #7093 on: November 20, 2006, 04:52:06 am »
I have it from a reliable source that Ellery is really getting into this idea of a wedding, because he is really getting into the idea of a honeymoon. Heck, he's only been back at work two weeks, he's getting ready for another vacation.

Now, faithful readers will remember that Ellery mentioned, very early on, that his ancestors were from Scotland. So for a honeymoon, he is toying with the idea of week in a castle, like this. What do you think Ennis would think of that idea?

This is Castle Venlaw, in Peebles.

L

Morning all, Mornin June. ;) ;D
I think thats a brilliant idea Leslie, I,m sure Ennis would love it. So Louise, does this mean your going to  120 chapters to fit the honeymoon in then?  ;) ;) ;) ;D

Offline christie wood

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #7094 on: November 20, 2006, 07:55:38 am »
Morning everyone.  I feel like I've been away for a while but I've been keeping up to date with the chapters and feeling all happy for Ennis and Ellery over their impending nuptials.  I think thats beautiful, I loved how it occurred too, just totally out of the blue really, and it caught them both unawares!

I just want Edna and Wes to be there with them, because they are such wonderful caring people and Ennis and Ellery mean the world to them. 

Oh, I went to see "The Prestige" on Thursday night.  Really enjoyed it, Hugh Jackman was great in it - I allowed myself a naughty little smile when he first appeared on screen.  He gets his shirt off a couple of times too, so thats nice.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #7095 on: November 20, 2006, 07:59:52 am »
Hugh taking off his shirt is standard in all of his contracts now.  His fans demand it - women and gay men alike!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #7096 on: November 20, 2006, 09:18:44 am »
Morning all, Mornin June. ;) ;D
I think thats a brilliant idea Leslie, I,m sure Ennis would love it. So Louise, does this mean your going to  120 chapters to fit the honeymoon in then?  ;) ;) ;) ;D

Afternoon Souxi  :-*

Did you like Milli's story idea for you over on Louise's LJ??  ;D  :-*

Offline RonitR

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #7097 on: November 20, 2006, 09:19:22 am »
Um... for us computer-idiots, what exactly are "hits" and "hosts" ?

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #7098 on: November 20, 2006, 09:21:31 am »
A hit is when someone opens the page - i.e. looks at it.  Also known as a "page view."

A host is an individual computer, as counted by IP address.  In other words, if you open 10 pages, such as chapters 80 through 89, from your computer, the counter registers one host (your computer), and 10 hits.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #7099 on: November 20, 2006, 09:23:51 am »
Um... for us computer-idiots, what exactly are "hits" and "hosts" ?

The counter that Louise has on your story (and I have on mine, too) records the number of hosts and hits. A "host" is an IP address while a "hit" is the number of times people have come to the site. I have found on my site they generally go in a 1:2 ratio, which suggests to me that a user may come back to read a chapter twice. For example, I posted a chapter yesterday and by the end of the day, I had 199 hosts and 365 hits.

Louise's proposal chapter went over 3000 hits, which is amazing, when you think about it.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!