Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3131894 times)

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #8670 on: December 24, 2006, 10:58:48 am »
Hi guys,

I'm unable to chat or be online much from my holiday locale, but just wanted to wish everyone Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holidays!

Kelly
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #8671 on: December 24, 2006, 12:21:53 pm »
Do people want to continue re-reading? I do...

Next on the list will be Looking For Answers. I am thinking we can start on December 26th and follow the same routine, 5 chapters a day. Let me know you are participating. Thanks!

L

Oh, yes Leslie, I do  :)

good idea to start on the 26th of december. I'll be there.

Umm, yes!

It's a serendipity that we finish Taking Chances just before Christmas! As one of my favorite fanfic original characters said, "Things happen for a reason." (For those of you unfamiliar with that quote, it's from Hal's nephew, Tom, in Leslie's brilliant alternate universe fic, A Love Born from Steel.)

This morning, when I read of Ennis speaking the words, "I'll love ya anyway," my eyes filled with tears yet again, even though this was about the seventh time I've read that scene.

And all this carryin' on is to say that the shared re-reading is very important to me. I'm sure I'm not alone in that sentiment. :)

You sure aren't Fred. And thank you for those truely inspiring words.  :)

Merry Christmas everyone  :)  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Quiplash

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • I'm Jack on the outside, Ennis on the inside.
    • as I live a few more questions
« Reply #8672 on: December 24, 2006, 12:34:24 pm »
This is my gift to all the wonderful BBM authors and artists.

Happy Holidays and a creative 2007 to you all!

Brokeback Pastoral

(Click the thumbnail for larger sizes on the Flickr page for this fanart.)
--Quiplash.  See all my PhotoShopped Brokeback Mountain fanart creations here

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8673 on: December 24, 2006, 04:49:30 pm »
Hey Quip!

That is a beautiful pic!  Cheers mate!  ;)
Happy Holidays to you!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #8674 on: December 24, 2006, 10:49:04 pm »
Thank you all for your Christmas greetings and wishes.  I just wanted to make a special acknowledgement here to Leslie!  (MaineWriter) who has spent the ReReaders time going through my original manuscript of "Taking Chances" and making comprehensive copy edits to it as groundwork for my turning "Taking Chances" into an original fic.

I will be reviewing the edits and adding some of my own back in.  Thank you for this very thoughtful, and labor-intensive gift, Leslie, I deeply appreciate it, and so will all of the people who would like to get a printed published original fic of "Taking Chances"!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8675 on: December 24, 2006, 10:54:53 pm »
Hi guys,

I'm unable to chat or be online much from my holiday locale, but just wanted to wish everyone Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holidays!

Kelly
mkerry christmas kelly..we miss you and want you back as soon as you are able...so come home safely to us, after you have a beautiful and lovely warm holiday...                                                           janice

Beautiful mind

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8676 on: December 26, 2006, 10:44:45 am »
Good morning, re-readers!

As we delve into Looking for Answers, we begin with Ellery at the bar, counting receipts.

Chapters 1-5 today:

http://louisev.livejournal.com/27985.html

“Somethin else on yer mind, Wayne?”

Wayne picked up a stack of quarters and let them chink down into the stack with a small noise, then did it again, not making eye contact.

“Could ya maybe have Ennis come watch the bar a night or two?”

“Ennis? How come?”

“He jes… he seems like he’d do a better job.”

“Ennis don’t work fer me, Wayne. He’s my partner, not my bouncer. Besides he got a job workin with horses. I don’t think he wants another job throwin drunk queers outta my bar.”

“Oh. How’s he doin anyway?”

Ellery set down his pen, thinking quietly for a moment. “What’s all the questions bout Ennis for?”

Wayne shrugged, blushing slightly. “Just curious is all. He never comes in the bar… an I took him for a drinkin man.”

“Oh ya miss em do ya? Well I’ll tell him ta stop by some time if he’s got the inclination. I’ll tell him you were askin fer a kiss.”

“Ellery!”

Ellery tilted his head at him. “Well ain’t you?”

“No!” Wayne’s blush was deepening. “I just thought he seemed like a nice guy. I guess I was right, you like him well enough.”

“Yeah, I do. An if he wanted ta have a little fun with someone half his age then it’d be all right with me as long as he showers before he comes home, but I don’t think yer gonna make any time with him Wayne.”

“I told you…”

“Yer a little slut Wayne. No harm in it, a course, a lotta queer men are. But yer just as likely ta get Ennis in bed as you are ta get a date with Arnold what’s his name.”

“Schwarzenegger,” Wayne replied automatically. Wayne had put up a poster of the weightlifter behind the bar from one of the stills in a French gay magazine from several years before. “An I wasn’t askin for that reason…”

“Oh no? Well if he comes by you can tell him yerself why you was pinin after him.”

Wayne tucked his chin into his collar, painfully embarrassed. “Ain’t pinin after em.”

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8677 on: December 26, 2006, 10:56:34 am »
From Chapter 2:

He managed to get home by four, took a shower to get rid of the lingering goo they used at the clinic for the ultrasound massage, and was patting himself dry when he heard the door open. He slicked his hair back with a comb and then padded out to the living room, leaning against the doorjamb.

The look on Ennis’s face was everything he had hoped for. “Jesus Ellery, I can tell I ain’t even gonna get ta eat am I?”

“Hell no,” he smirked, making a small gesture. “How can ya eat with all this raw meat lyin around waitin for ya?”

“Can’t.” He dropped the bag he was carrying, tossed his hat on the sofa and came over, sliding rough hands down the smooth warm flanks, cupping both cheeks of his ass as he yearned up for the taste of his lips, devouring them hungrily as he pressed the yielding naked flesh against him, hips grinding into his.

“You smell good,” Ellery whispered, nipping at his lower lip.

“Good thing I warshed up at Wes’s. I didn’t know you was gonna pull this on me. How’s the back?”

“Fine. Had a massage. It don’t get much bettern this, sweetheart, so let’s make it good.”

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8678 on: December 26, 2006, 11:02:10 am »
and from Chapter 3:

“There was fights again at the bar?”

“Yeah, well less punchin each other an more punchin my furniture.”

“Maybe I should go down an help out. I got time some nights...”

Ellery frowned. “That would sorta ruin our weekends now wouldn’t it? Besides, I can hire muscleboys ta do that an I ain’t gonna sit home Saturday nights alone because yer doin me a favor. That ain’t no kinda favor, Ennis.”

“Well ya just fired yer bouncer, what’s gonna happen tomorrow?”

“Good point,” he mulled, pulled back into the orbit of Ennis as he sat chewing the last of his hamburger, and brushed up against him, shirtless. Ennis’s hand slid up his back almost of its own accord.

“If ya want it’ll help pass Saturday night if ya don’t get back... an I can ask Wayne what he wants.”

Ellery kissed the top of his head. “Ya know if ya really was interested in another man, I know it’s been a long time fer you... an I don’t want ta hold ya ta anythin if ya wanted ta try it out....”

Ennis looked up and stared at Ellery. “You got ta be kiddin. I go all this time thinkin I’m never gonna find someone ta feel good about again an you think I want ta go takin samples a boys like Wayne?”

Ellery shrugged. “I ain’t got no claim on ya, Ennis.”

“You sure as hell do, so can we drop it? I ain’t gonna get into playin around with boys. I found my man an I’m keepin im.”

Ellery found this declaration both soothing and worrying, somehow, as he drew Ennis to his feet and back to the bedroom, unbuckling his belt and slipping a long hand down his denims, giving him a meaningful squeeze along the length of his cock before he unzipped him and got him down on the bed.

Leslie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #8679 on: December 26, 2006, 01:33:43 pm »
Good Afternoon, Leslie and re-readers!

I so often found myself wincing in sympathy while reading about Ellery's back problems in these earlier stories.  Ellery was so anxious to please and satisfy Ennis!  This little passage from Chapter 3 made me feel a little better:

“C’mon darlin,” Ennis said, voice thick with drowsiness, as he pulled Ellery up from dozing between his thighs. “No more a those, lets get ya up...” and he rolled him onto his side, reaching down behind the bed for the stiff brace to fasten against the bottom of his spine.

“Don’t need it, Ennis, I’m okay.”

“Doctor’s orders, Ellery, you promised.” And Ellery sighed as he let his lover tend to him, so that tomorrow he could walk without hobbling to his airplane.

Awww - they really do need each other, don't they?

Thanks - Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain