Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3167099 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #8730 on: December 31, 2006, 11:30:11 am »
That's one of the things I am noticing much more in this book...just how vulnerable Ellery really feels and how he covers it up with his cockiness and bravado. He is so desparately in love and so worried that Ennis is going to bolt.

L

Makes you want to jump into the story and give him a hug of reassurance, doesn't it?  (Cockiness and bravado as a cover for vulnerability . . . reminds me of a 22-year old sailorboy that I've come to love  :) ).

Thanks - Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8731 on: December 31, 2006, 11:31:22 am »
Makes you want to jump into the story and give him a hug of reassurance, doesn't it?  (Cockiness and bravado as a cover for vulnerability . . . reminds me of a 22-year old sailorboy that I've come to love  :) ).

Thanks - Marie

Very, very true...

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #8732 on: December 31, 2006, 11:52:59 am »
*waving hi to the busy busy rereaders!*  at least I know what I can do tonight when I finish updating "Home for the Holidays*.  I am at an internet cafe, but since I haven't finished unpacking I am going to scoot out of here soon.  I expect I will be back tomorrow... unless the internet cafe is closed.  If you don't see me, don't panic!

Wonderful quotes from "Looking for Answers", and even more wonderful commentary.

I will try to stop in again tomorrow and leave an update with a new chapter.  If I get too stir-crazy I might try playing my piano!!!  go figure!

Happy New Year, and for those who speak German,

Frohes Neues Jahr!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8733 on: January 01, 2007, 12:36:25 pm »
Good morning re-readers...

Happy New Year! I hope everyone had a safe and restful evening.

Today's assignment, chapters 31-35.

http://louisev.livejournal.com/36233.html

In chapter 31, these appear for the first time!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8734 on: January 01, 2007, 12:39:35 pm »
Here's a picture of the Marriott in Austin

L

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8735 on: January 01, 2007, 12:45:41 pm »
From Chapter 32:

Ennis shook his head, eyes gleaming with unshed tears. “No ma’am... an I still don’t know, he never... well. I saw em in May, I guess before he come up here... course... “ his breath seemed to be choking him, “ he wouldn’t tell me somethin like that...” Ennis’s eyes had blurred, his head was aching, and picked up his coffee, taking a long, slow sip.

Mrs. Twist put out a tentative hand, which brushed the edge of Ennis’s hand very lightly. “I’m real sorry... I thought maybe I was puttin yer mind at ease. I didn’t really think he had nobody else, cause sometime in July he called an said he was down in south Texas an had met up with a ranch liquidator who he was tryin ta get ta come up here an do an assessment a value or somethin before he threw himself into it, an that is when he’d make a decision whether ta break things off with his wife an come up here. That was his last call."

Ennis looked up from the black circle which reflected his pain-stricken eyes. “He was in south Texas you said? Meetin with someone?”

She nodded. “Gave his name too, I wrote it down somewhere. I supposed when he had that blowout on the road was on that trip.”

“Yes ma’am,” his voice was tight, and he felt as though he was about to strangle on the lump in his throat now. “If... you know who it was he was meetin.... that might be real important.”

She gave him a sharp glance. “Why do ya say so? I thought it was an accident he had.”

Ennis shook his head, feeling he weariness of his whole life pile up on him. “I don’t think so ma’am. I think... he was killed fer bein ... queer.” He gulped, went silent, eyes staring down at his coffee cup as though trying to find an answer in it.

“Then I guess I should be findin that name,” she said, voice hushed.

“Yes ma’am. It could be real important.”

L

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8736 on: January 01, 2007, 12:58:24 pm »
Chapter 33:

“You doin okay down there?”

“Yep. Miss you something awful though Ennis, I hope your gonna be back Friday an pick me up. I’ll be on the 10 p.m. arrival. I’d come back sooner but --“

“I wouldn’t be there sooner Ellery. I stayed over here an it’s about 6 hours ta Brokeback. I should already be gone.”

“Well you take care an be careful drivin that truck. I worry about you in it.”

“Don’t worry about me, only kinda truck I can drive is old, Ellery. See ya Friday.”

“I love you sweetheart.”

“Yeah. Me too.”

L

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8737 on: January 01, 2007, 01:02:04 pm »
And more from Chapter 33:

So Justin Worrell and Western States Ranch Liquidators were here in Austin two years ago. He just had to find out where they had gone since. He located Centerville Lane on a map and drove there, checking his watch. It was just shy of noon, and found himself knocking on the door of a small, neat rancher on the northwest side of Austin. To his surprise, a well dressed woman with a stylish brunette bouffant hairdo answered the door with the suspicious look reserved for salesmen. Ellery was still wearing his earring, but had changed into less daring clothes for daytime use. It didn’t really matter – the woman had only to see the earring and the color drained from her face.

“Can I help you?” she said, voice clipped.

“I was lookin for Justin Worrell. Does he still live here?”

“Who in the hell are you?” she said, voice wavering as though with hostility or fear.

“Friend of a friend, ma’am. The name is Cantrell.”

“He’s outta town like he usually is. An I’ll thank you to keep yer business where it belongs an don’t come sniffin round here anymore!”

He blinked. “Business?”

“He doesn’t have nothin ta do with you kinda boys no more, so leave him be!” she cried, her eyes already filling with tears as she stepped back and slammed the door in his face.

He stood on the stoop of the house before turning to go to his car, and as the initial shock of her reaction wore off, he raised a hand to the piercing and twiddled it between his fingers. “Hot damn. Bingo.”

L

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8738 on: January 01, 2007, 01:13:52 pm »
Chapter 34:

He decided to wait until dawn to spread the ashes, then return down the mountain. He cooked himself some beans, a deliberate choice he made in memory of Jack, an invocation of their magical summer together. At first, it had seemed like a sentence of exile – the harsh rocky crags, the sudden weather shifts, the bone chilling cold at night, and the endless, inescapable stink of sheep creeping into everything, even their food. And all that changed, gradually at first, then all at once with the spark of their intimacy. And what lingered in his memory, was this sweetness... this magic.

He crawled into the tent when dark fell over the mountain, letting the fire die out, the urn lying next to him, and once again found himself in a one-sided conversation with his dead lover. “You always loved it out here, even when it was too cold for ya. Not so bad that summer, though... if it weren’t for the fuckin sheep.” He took a sip of whiskey from the bottle he had brought with him, another tribute, he supposed. Every time he and Jack met, they had whiskey with them, in later years, a handful of joints Jack brought with him and they shared, mostly when winding down after sex. “Haven’t smoked any weed since you been gone, how d’ya like that, hm?” he said, drifting, in a kind of a muzzy half-dream, and it seemed to him he saw Jack sitting up, pillow tucked under his arm, looking down at him.

“You ain’t changed a lick,” he said. “You ain’t never gonna grow old I don’t think,” he said, and Ennis looked up at him, thinking that was an odd thing to say.

“Well you can’t grow old cause yer dead.”

“True, that,” Jack replied, a distant look in his eyes.

“Listen ta me, Jack. What happened in Austin that night? Ellery’s down there rackin his brains to find this Worrell fella. Was he the one? Did ya make some kinda move on em an he hit ya on the head? I need ta know, Jack, it’s drivin me insane. If I’m gonna let ya rest here I got ta know the truth.”

“Ya got ta find out, Ennis. Ya got ta find out,” Jack replied, and Ennis jerked awake, looking around the tent, finding himself awake and alone.

L

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8739 on: January 01, 2007, 01:17:54 pm »
And more from Chapter 34:

His voice broke halfway through the Psalm, but he kept on through the tears and the pain that welled up in his chest. When he finished, he opened the urn and let the ashes flutter out into the breeze, which carried them up and off, a small, insignificant cloud, like a puff of dust rising before a storm, and then dispersed. The last remains of Jack Twist. He set the urn in the shallow place he had dug for it next to where he had buried the letter, and covered it up with a hand trowel and his hands, dirtying them.

“Rest in peace, Jack. I will never forget you, as long as I live. An if I can, I will find out who did you in so you can have justice. Amen.” He knelt by the marker for half an hour until his weeping stopped, and he blew his nose with a handkerchief, a sad smile on his face. “I’ll be back soon, boy.”

Then he hoisted his backpack, and started back down the trail, feeling a sense of peace he had not had in many years.

L