Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3165456 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #9450 on: June 22, 2007, 04:28:56 pm »
Chapter 93. Dirty Business

http://louisev.livejournal.com/26423.html

Oh, Gene at the door...

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9451 on: June 22, 2007, 04:34:03 pm »
Chapter 94. Oblivious

http://louisev.livejournal.com/26681.html

More to enjoy...

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9452 on: June 22, 2007, 05:10:36 pm »
Chapter 95. Meanwhile Back At The Ranch

http://louisev.livejournal.com/27121.html

A big storm is brewing in Tourmaline....

L

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9453 on: June 22, 2007, 05:38:54 pm »
Chapter 96. Brass Tacks

http://louisev.livejournal.com/27284.html

"Ellery Cantrell is like the son Edna an me couldn’t ever have."

Enjoy...

L

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #9454 on: June 22, 2007, 09:14:44 pm »
I have revived the Index and edited it so there is an easy reference to the book on Livejournal:

http://zebratta.livejournal.com/472.html
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #9455 on: June 22, 2007, 11:01:13 pm »
You weren't kidding about the big push, Louise.  Great "Leslieizing," Leslie  :)

Gene sure is a little twerp.  Of course, the upside of that is watching Ellery deal with the little twerp  ;D

Ellery leaned down and put a long hand on his bare, muscular shoulder, patting it. “Well then you come runnin down ta Uncle Ellery an he’ll arrange fer witness protection for ya, an you can tell me all about it while the hairdresser turns you into a brunette.”

Can't believe I forgot about this line:

Edna brought in the biscuits first, and Colson took a breath, glanced up at Ellery. “These look good, Edna,” Ellery said on cue. “Wouldn’t a wanted ta find out what would happen if they’d burned.”

Good thing they didn't burn. In a few weeks, Edna won't be able to look at a jar of Vaseline the way she used to.  We sure wouldn't want her to become uncomfortable around biscuits too!   ;D

Awww. . . . sniff - love this part:

Wes clapped Colson on the shoulder. “Now I ain’t gonna say nothin more about this, Colson, an what I say is jest between me an you. Ellery Cantrell is like the son Edna an me couldn’t ever have. But he is just miserable at takin care of himself. I’d like you ta look after that for me too. Can ya do that?”

Colson blushed red, but found himself nodding. “Yes sir. I’ll do my best.” 

Thanks,
Marie

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #9456 on: June 23, 2007, 04:44:23 am »
question for you rereaders:

Does 'Taking Chances' end with an actual end?  We are considering publishing that book in its entirety, yet it is clear that the search for Adam's killer, and Colson's new job as a horse wrangler, has barely got underway, not to mention the open case against Bill Early.  Are there too many loose ends?  I know that the Harry Potter series had some cliff hangers, but I don't want it to seem as though the book is written just to leave people dangling.  It's good for sales of the next book, but I also want it to have an actual conclusion of its own.

“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9457 on: June 23, 2007, 06:10:21 am »
question for you rereaders:

Does 'Taking Chances' end with an actual end?  We are considering publishing that book in its entirety, yet it is clear that the search for Adam's killer, and Colson's new job as a horse wrangler, has barely got underway, not to mention the open case against Bill Early.  Are there too many loose ends?  I know that the Harry Potter series had some cliff hangers, but I don't want it to seem as though the book is written just to leave people dangling.  It's good for sales of the next book, but I also want it to have an actual conclusion of its own.

Actually, each Harry Potter book has a conclusion of its own, with the exception of book 6 that more or less ends with cliff hanger but the rest don't. Mysteries pertaining to each book are resolved before the end. The author, however, leaves a few mysteries unsolved but most of it is background information about Harry's parents, Harry himself or some other character. J.K Rowling author starts all books anew and even repeats information from previous books to refresh the reader's minds.  The only book series I have read that end in cliffhanger is The Lord of the Rings trilogy, but not Harry Potter.

About your story, I think you could merge the books but you might have to delete a few scenes and rewrite a few others. I think the whole saga is too long to read in one book. IMO that is.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 10:48:49 am by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9458 on: June 23, 2007, 10:56:52 am »
Chapter 97. Confrontation

http://louisev.livejournal.com/27630.html

in which Bill Early makes his reappearance...

L

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9459 on: June 23, 2007, 11:39:50 am »
Chapter 98. Afterward

http://louisev.livejournal.com/27840.html

The end of the volume....

L