Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3131854 times)

Offline magicmountain

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Fire from heaven
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #2790 on: August 10, 2006, 09:32:33 pm »
Cheer up Louise. At least you and Leslie managed to avoid by a whisker the chaos at Heathrow!
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #2791 on: August 10, 2006, 09:34:18 pm »
On second thoughts, Heathrow is always chaotic, it's just a bit worse at the moment!
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2792 on: August 10, 2006, 09:35:25 pm »
Cheer up Louise. At least you and Leslie managed to avoid by a whisker the chaos at Heathrow!

I know .. freaky ..  :-\

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #2793 on: August 10, 2006, 09:59:08 pm »
Ellery in full (work!) undercover action mode. Note the dishevelled hair and determined expression!

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #2794 on: August 10, 2006, 10:27:50 pm »
I have an LJ question:  if I post a reply to another reader's comment, do you still get notified about my comment Louise, or does the notification only go to the person I was replying to?

I don't really understand what's going on with your teeth... (teeth are not my medicine forte), but I sure do hope they get to feeling better soon!!

:)
Kelly
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #2795 on: August 11, 2006, 03:28:39 am »
Yes,  I get notified of all comments if they are on my livejournal page.  However, if the comment is anonymous, then Anonymous does not get notified if there is a reply.

Boring Cliff Notes on Root Canals

A root canal is the most time consuming treatment you can have on a natural tooth.  They do it when the nerve pulp has been breached or there is an infection at the root of the tooth (deep in the jaw.)  Usually you need a root canal if you have a root that is causing so much pain it makes you hit the ceiling.  I started having serious dental work at the age of 7, almost as soon as my permanent teeth came in, caused by not having adequate enamel on my teeth, and to date have had 17 root canals - so I have gradually become a layman expert on the procedure.

In root canal treatment they systematically remove all of the nerve tissue, the bulk of which is in the crown of the tooth, and then file out the nerve canals going down into the jaw, using tiny wire-like files. After removing the nerve tissue, they then sterilize and disinfect the canals (sometimes waiting a few weeks for the infection to clear up if there was a sizable area of infection at the root,) fill them with gutta percha (inert filling material), then fix a porcelain crown on the tooth.  Sometimes if the natural crown of the tooth is badly broken they will add a post to give the porcelain crown holding strength.  When I broke off two teeth in an accident, there was no crown left so the dentist made a post to hold the new crowns.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #2796 on: August 11, 2006, 03:32:09 am »

I am thinking along the same lines as opinionista--I am betting Edna came with a land estate and Wes married into money, that may well be why she is so wise about advising Ennis about his situation with Ellery.   Wes may have had to do some adjusting too, not that he would have been a pauper or anything, but if he married her and she had an inherited land estate, the only ?? would be what they would do with it, as he doesn't want to ranch full time, just like Ellery.  That whole situation would work for me, but in truth, much as I love Wes and Edna--how they came to their situation really doesn't have any impact on the story, and doesn't make a difference to me or my understanding/reaading of it.

Well in fact the reason for Wes having a little training and sale operation is because it's something he intends to pursue in his retirement when he isn't the sheriff anymore.  That way if things turn ugly politically or he gets disabled on the job or something like that, he has his horse ranch to putter around on and keep a hand in.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #2797 on: August 11, 2006, 04:58:02 am »
Ellery in full (work!) undercover action mode. Note the dishevelled hair and determined expression!

I LOVE this one of Ellery!!

Thanks mm!  :)

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #2798 on: August 11, 2006, 05:03:27 am »
Thanks for the info on Root Canals Louise, I think, *shudders*  >:(

How are you feeling today?

Lucise - that pic,  A Day at the Beach is to die for! Thanks, once again!  :)

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #2799 on: August 11, 2006, 05:06:40 am »
If I'm really clever I'll be able to get everybody who is a regular fan here mentioned in some way in one of the upcoming books, if there is some way to get your name inconspicuously fit in there somewhere!

Oh Louise! This is really exciting! Thank you!