Author Topic: COLLECTOR'S EDITION DVD Release  (Read 56689 times)

Scott6373

Re: THE COLLECTORS EDITION!!!
« Reply #190 on: January 29, 2007, 06:07:38 pm »
I read on another board tha!t some of the scenes in the new edition are slighty differnent and longer.  Could that possibly be true?

I also finally just bought a dvd player so I could watch it on dvd, but the light on the picture fades in and out.

It happens on all dvd's I tried.  The saleman had no idea why.  Could it be that my tv is too oldd?

Could somes scenes really be slightly different?  Wouldn't that be wonderful if true!!

I doub't it...we would have heard about it before now

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: COLLECTOR'S EDITION DVD Release
« Reply #191 on: February 01, 2007, 01:14:34 pm »
Thanks for finding us that commentary, Lynne.  I wonder what fan website the writer of it runs?

I disagree strongly with "the deleted scenes should have put back into the movie and made it longer."  That sounds like blasphemy to me.  My understanding is that Ang's movie is the way Ang wants it.  BUT I sure would have liked to have seen every one of those deleted scenes as stand-alones.  I sure would love to see the Gustavo featurette.  But as Meryl said, my big, deep yearning is for commentaries. 

I got to see Marit Allen (BBM costume designer) interviewed on a featurette that came with the crappy, crappy, crappy All the King's Men.  I would have loved to have seen her talk that much about the costuming in BBM. 

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #192 on: February 01, 2007, 04:20:50 pm »

Offline dirtbiker

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #193 on: February 01, 2007, 04:36:56 pm »
I read on another board tha!t some of the scenes in the new edition are slighty differnent and longer.  Could that possibly be true?

I also finally just bought a dvd player so I could watch it on dvd, but the light on the picture fades in and out.

It happens on all dvd's I tried.  The saleman had no idea why.  Could it be that my tv is too oldd?

Could somes scenes really be slightly different?  Wouldn't that be wonderful if true!!

Try connecting the DVD player directly to your TV instead of going through a VCR, or other intermediary.  The fading in and out is the copy protection crap they have on DVDs so you can't copy it on your recorder.  Hope this helps ;)

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #194 on: February 01, 2007, 09:01:02 pm »
Try connecting the DVD player directly to your TV instead of going through a VCR, or other intermediary.  The fading in and out is the copy protection crap they have on DVDs so you can't copy it on your recorder.  Hope this helps ;)

Hey thanks,

Thats what the problem is, my tv has a vcr in it, although it broke years ago, so I guess that I cannot use a dvd player at all with this tv.

So now I guess i need to buy a new tv to watch my BBM dvd. :laugh:

Offline oilgun

« Reply #195 on: February 01, 2007, 10:05:56 pm »
So now I guess i need to buy a new tv to watch my BBM dvd. :laugh:
Actually you don't have to buy a new TV.  You can buy an adapter box thingy designed to connect dvd players to older TVs, they sell for about $50.
:-)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #196 on: February 01, 2007, 11:50:17 pm »
I disagree strongly with "the deleted scenes should have put back into the movie and made it longer."  That sounds like blasphemy to me.  My understanding is that Ang's movie is the way Ang wants it.  BUT I sure would have liked to have seen every one of those deleted scenes as stand-alones.  I sure would love to see the Gustavo featurette.  But as Meryl said, my big, deep yearning is for commentaries. 

I'm with you, Clarissa. "Director's cut" may be the common term for special edition DVDs of other films, with deleted scenes put in, but I've understood for months on months that in the case of Ang Lee and Brokeback Mountain, what we saw on the theater screen is "the director's cut," no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

But just like you, I would have liked to have seen the "extra" material as stand-alones.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #197 on: February 02, 2007, 01:41:33 am »
What do these postcards look like?

I'd hate to spend $20.00 just to find out the postcards are crappy!  :P

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #198 on: February 02, 2007, 03:53:53 am »
Thanks for posting the commentary Lynne  :D.

I'm with Jeff and Clarissa that I wouldn't want the deleted scenes inserted back into the movie for the reasons they mentioned: what we see is the directors cut.
I also agree that his wish for Annie Proulx to write a sequel is way off. Jesus, no. But I don't think Mrs. Proulx would ever even consider this.

From the commentary:
Missing scene: At the campfire when Jack and Ennis get away to the mountain for the first time in four years, there’s a shot of them (see above) sitting next to each other laughing, which isn’t included in the film. At the opening of the "If you can't fix it Jack, you gotta stand it" scene, Ennis is still joking about Jack forgetting his harmonica. When Ennis joins him on the log he doesn't smile. I believe this missing piece is a prelude to the gut wrenching dialogue that followed and deserves to be edited back in.

I think he's wrong here. The shot he's talking about is not from the reunion camping trip, but from the scene on Brokeback when Ennis comes back to camp late because he encountered the bear. Can't find the pic now, but it's in the STS book and I've seen it posted here on BM too.

The only thing I'd like to have from this collecteror's edition are the postcards...  :D

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #199 on: February 02, 2007, 09:36:44 am »
David, Chrissi,

The postcards are nice, glossy, about 4x6 inches, heavy stock, mostly scenes we've all seen before. 

There is one nice facsimile of the "coming thru on the 24th" postcard, front and back.

Is this worth $20 to you?