Brokeback Mountain: Our Community's Common Bond > Brokeback Mountain Open Forum

The Full Moon

<< < (24/24)

Front-Ranger:

--- Quote from: serious crayons on July 29, 2018, 02:23:40 pm ---Did you give up wine? If you mentioned that before, I must have missed it.

--- End quote ---

Just temporarily, since I will likely have to be alert and driving in the middle of the night soon (my daughter's labor has always started in the wee hours).

CellarDweller:
The baby is keeping everyone waiting!

CellarDweller:

--- Quote from: brian on July 28, 2018, 03:11:57 pm ---Sorry to bring out my retired Geography teacher hat.
When air masses with different properties meet they do not mix but form a front (not sure why although they do eventually mix and the front weakens).
Of course warm air rises and cools. If a cold front moves over you, the warm air rises up and cools and therefore any moisture begins to condense and, when heavy enough, fall.  Cold fronts are usually fairly steep so the rise is often rapid and can cause thunderstorms (and tornados).
When a warm front approaches, the warm air is rising up over the cooler air in front and is usually fairly gradual so you get more gentle rain over a longer period.
Where I lived in Sydney, warm fronts are rare but cold fronts common. Summer afternoons often had regular thunderstorms (often just as school finished). I never left the house without turning off and unplugging my computer and modem. The telephone company put some device on my line but I would still not answer the phone when storms were around (before hands free phones),
Here in Dunedin thunderstorms are rare. I probably have not experienced 10 in the 8 years I have been here. We have warm fronts so can have a long period of gentle rain then the temperatures climb for a brief time and then a cold front arrives, there is some brief heavy rain and then fine but cold. However weather forecasting is more complicated because of the alps to the west on a fairly narrow island, about 250km wide.

--- End quote ---

very interesting post!  Thanks Brian!

Front-Ranger:
Sure do miss brian. Happy full Beaver Moon, folks!

serious crayons:
Saw it this morning on its way down. Beautiful!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version