Author Topic: The "ABCs of BBM": Round 965! (Rules in first post)  (Read 5689767 times)

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • There But For Fortune
"A" is adapted
« Reply #14400 on: August 10, 2007, 11:31:50 am »
Screenwriters Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana adapted Annie's story for the film.

=aside= Clarissa
The themes that we have been using are purely optional and we don't really have rules regarding them.  That gives us more leeway in using words, especially when it comes to the more challenging letters. The rules apply to the game as a whole, such as no repeats, using the word properly, giving a definition for the more difficult words, etc.  I hope this answers your question.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 11:44:06 am by Memento »

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
"B" is brainstorm
« Reply #14401 on: August 10, 2007, 12:41:28 pm »
Larry and Diana had a brainstorm after reading the New Yorker story, deciding it would make a great screenplay.

=aside= Elle
For a few hundred rounds or so, we have taken turns suggesting themes for rounds.  Some have been tangentially off-topic, and have included rounds on other works by Ang, and, bizarrely, the submarine Thresher.  It's all in the interest in keeping it fresh(er).

« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 12:46:52 pm by southendmd »

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
"C" is clicked
« Reply #14402 on: August 10, 2007, 12:51:37 pm »
When she read Brokeback Mountain, something in Diana Ossana clicked, and she immediately took it to her writing partner, Larry McMurtry, with whom she had clicked ever since they first worked together in 1992, on the semi-fictionalized biography Pretty Boy Floyd.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Ellemeno

"D" is duad
« Reply #14403 on: August 10, 2007, 12:58:42 pm »
The dynamic duad of Lary McMurtry and Diana Ossana adapted the short story of Brokeback Mountain into a screenplay.

=aside= Players

Thanks for the responses.  I can understand the submarine "Thresher" as a topic, because it's referred to in the BBM short story.  But characters in other short stories of Annie's don't seem to tie in as the wording of the rules stand now.   Right now the first post states,

The "ABCs of BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN" game -- in its second incarnation -- is anything and everything BBM:  the story, the screenplay, the movie, the characters, the locations, the actors, the props, the reviews, the awards, the interviews, the ads, the dvd and so forth.   

It looks to me like the rules need updating to reflect this leeway.   Could something please be added about the more tangential topics being open for play?

Thanks,

Elle
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 01:20:36 pm by Ellemeno »

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"E" is entranced
« Reply #14404 on: August 10, 2007, 01:58:57 pm »
Both Diana Ossana and Larry McMurty were so entranced with Brokeback Mountain when it appeared in the New Yorker that they decided to make it into a screenplay. McMurty said: "Only twice in my life have I read something that I wish I’d written—this story and Grace Paley’s ‘Faith: In A Tree.’"

=aside= players
I'm at the Newport Jazz Festival for the weekend and will return on Monday.  Elle - Fran and I will discuss updating the rules when she returns.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 09:47:44 am by Memento »

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"F" is fleshed
« Reply #14405 on: August 10, 2007, 03:32:58 pm »
Larry and Diana stated that they kept almost every line of Annie's from the short story, and they fleshed out the domestic lives of Jack and Ennis in their screenplay.

Offline Ellemeno

"G" is Googling
« Reply #14406 on: August 11, 2007, 01:35:12 am »
A quck Googling of the phrase "Brokeback Mountain screenplay" brought up this page (bolding mine):

Brokeback Mountain Script - Dialogue Transcript

Voila! Finally, the Brokeback Mountain script excerpt is here for all you quotes spouting fans of the Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger movie by Ang Lee based on the E. Annie Proulx short story.  This dialogue script excerpt was donated by "Jack," the self-proclaimed "biggest Brokeback fan EVER" and you can feel free to shower him with praises and/or corrections at [email protected]. Now my job is to get the cast names in there and I'm still working on getting the screenplay as well, but for you people needing your fix of heartbreaking Brokeback Mountain dialogue, this oughta hit the spot for now.

Swing on back to Drew's Script-O-Rama afterwards for more free movie scripts!

Whoops, scratch that. The golden words used to live here, but Simon and Schuster was...shall we say...not thrilled. But nobody can ever take away what we had during that brief period of bliss on the mountain, can they? It'll always exist in our memories, at least. And please don't e-mail me begging to send it to you either, because...well...bottom line is...we're around each other an'...this thing, it grabs hold of us again...at the wrong place...at the wrong time...and we're dead.

http://www.script-o-rama.com/movie_scripts/b/brokeback-mountain-script-transcript.html

Def - to use the Google search engine to obtain information on the Internet

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
"H" is harshness
« Reply #14407 on: August 12, 2007, 01:57:11 am »
Larry McMurtry, in his essay "Adapting Brokeback Mountain," wrote: 

To see what the West has done to the people who live with its harshness as well as its beauty, you need to go not to the pastoralists, but--as Diana Ossana also suggests--to Richard Avedon's great In the American West, a book of extraordinary photographs just now being reexhibited, in all their life-size starkness, at the Amon Carter Museum in Fort Worth, Texas.

Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"I" is involvement
« Reply #14408 on: August 12, 2007, 09:42:21 am »
"Lee directs Brokeback Mountain from a script by Diana Ossana and Larry McMurtry, based on a short story by Annie Proulx. The involvement of McMurtry is quite intriguing given that he is the writer behind the Lonesome Dove series, a celebration of all the great legends of being a cowboy. For McMurtry to lend his name to a film that deconstructs the very image he has helped cement in modern movies is very interesting and lends a sort of cowboy credibility to Brokeback Mountain."
=aside= J
Here's your pink slip.

Next letter is "L."
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 10:00:56 am by Memento »

Offline Ellemeno

"L" is laboring
« Reply #14409 on: August 13, 2007, 12:43:13 pm »
The product of their laboring garnered many awards for McMurtry and Ossana.