Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2156370 times)

midwest-girl

Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #1190 on: January 24, 2007, 10:23:24 am »
Great idea to have our own little private thread about Shades of Grey, here at your blog, David.  ;)

I've just finished Chapter 13. I'm deliberately not rushing through it. I'm savouring every word - like a fine wine! 

Here's a favourite quote from Chapter 11; pathos beautifully evoked:

Jack wandered over to the bookshelves, drawn by a single photograph. It was in a silver frame, the photograph itself faded with age, one corner marred by a bend in the paper. It showed three children, two boys and a girl, and a woman, strands of blonde hair blowing across her laughing face. She had a slight gap between her front teeth and Jack smiled when he saw it, that lone imperfection making her more beautiful somehow. They were all sitting on a porch swing, Ennis in his mother’s lap, Junie next to them, her head resting on her mother’s shoulder. And K.E. on the opposite end, looking bored and sulky. Ennis had two scabbed over knees, his hair a mass of golden curls. He was leaning back against his mother’s chest, covering the hand she had around his belly with his own. Jack guessed he was about six, right on the cusp of being too old for his mother’s lap, maybe the last summer he could sit there without risking ridicule.

:'(

I'm glad you're still liking the story, Kerry.  I suppose an author shouldn't point out her own flaws, but what the hell.... For those of you who've read the story...I messed up and gave both Ennis's mother and Jill (who Kerry hasn't met yet) gaps between their front teeth.  Oops.  I didn't even notice it until I re-read the whole story.  That's one of the things I changed when I said I went back and cleaned up the story.  Sorry!!  That's what happens when you're trying to pound out a chapter a week.  LOL.  ;)

moremojo

« Reply #1191 on: January 24, 2007, 10:25:07 am »
This isn't Heath, but he sure does come close to SoG Ennis for me:

I've got more of him, if you'd like to see them . . . .

Whoa... :o :D! By all means, let's see more of this feller!

mvansand76

« Reply #1192 on: January 24, 2007, 02:59:04 pm »
Great idea to have our own little private thread about Shades of Grey, here at your blog, David.  ;)

I've just finished Chapter 13. I'm deliberately not rushing through it. I'm savouring every word - like a fine wine! 

Here's a favourite quote from Chapter 11; pathos beautifully evoked:

Jack wandered over to the bookshelves, drawn by a single photograph. It was in a silver frame, the photograph itself faded with age, one corner marred by a bend in the paper. It showed three children, two boys and a girl, and a woman, strands of blonde hair blowing across her laughing face. She had a slight gap between her front teeth and Jack smiled when he saw it, that lone imperfection making her more beautiful somehow. They were all sitting on a porch swing, Ennis in his mother’s lap, Junie next to them, her head resting on her mother’s shoulder. And K.E. on the opposite end, looking bored and sulky. Ennis had two scabbed over knees, his hair a mass of golden curls. He was leaning back against his mother’s chest, covering the hand she had around his belly with his own. Jack guessed he was about six, right on the cusp of being too old for his mother’s lap, maybe the last summer he could sit there without risking ridicule.

:'(

Oh Kerry, I am so glad you quoted one of my favorite parts of the story!!! I loved this part. It's so sad. :'(

mvansand76

« Reply #1193 on: January 24, 2007, 03:11:02 pm »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #1194 on: January 24, 2007, 03:45:45 pm »

MELISSA!

I know you like to create "cliff hangers" in your fanfic,  but don't do it in real life!

We're waiting for that infamous 1000th post of yours! Hurry up and drop it girl.....ANYWHERE!!

We can't take the suspense anymore!  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #1195 on: January 24, 2007, 03:48:17 pm »
I'm glad you're still liking the story, Kerry.  I suppose an author shouldn't point out her own flaws, but what the hell.... For those of you who've read the story...I messed up and gave both Ennis's mother and Jill (who Kerry hasn't met yet) gaps between their front teeth.  Oops.  I didn't even notice it until I re-read the whole story.  That's one of the things I changed when I said I went back and cleaned up the story.  Sorry!!  That's what happens when you're trying to pound out a chapter a week.  LOL.  ;)

I never noticed that Amy. But there's nothing wrong with little mistakes like this. Every movie and novel has them.  :)

I sure would love to read the new Shades of Grey when you finish with it though!  :D

Maybe you will share it with us someday?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #1196 on: January 24, 2007, 03:49:59 pm »
This isn't Heath, but he sure does come close to SoG Ennis for me:

I've got more of him, if you'd like to see them . . . .

Kerry, that IS a good SoG Ennis!   :)

That's exactly how I picture him too. Where did you find this picture?   

mvansand76

« Reply #1197 on: January 24, 2007, 03:51:41 pm »
1000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mvansand76

« Reply #1198 on: January 24, 2007, 03:54:25 pm »

Do you mean that you described it in the same way? Hey, never enough gaps, I love gaps between front teeth, but I need to because I have gaps between my front teeth myself. ;)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #1199 on: January 24, 2007, 04:07:47 pm »
WAY TO GO, MELISSA!!!!!   :D   :D

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,1579.2355.htm

And I feel really honored you decided to post your 1000th message in my thread too!  :-*   :-*