Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2155478 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #2140 on: November 20, 2007, 07:49:46 am »
Old State Route 335 (renamed the west 241 extension in the 1990's) is a stretch of road which runs from Vincennes, Indiana south through Decker before turning westward to Cypress Pond. Cypress Pond, just as the name suggests, is located in a large cypress swamp. It is in this particular area that a creature named the Decker Swamp Devil lives. Decker is just a little town (about 500 people) in southern Knox county, about 35 miles north of Evansville, Indiana, or about 10 miles north of Princeton. It is famous for its watermelons, cantaloupes, honeydews and other types of melons, and less famous for its swamp devil legend. Most of the townspeople have managed to keep this legend under wraps. I'm not sure if this is due more to embarrassment or fear, but for whatever reason, most will not talk about it. Since I lived in the area for many years, I became privy to the legend. Please remember, I have never seen this creature. I have only heard about it, but several of my friends firmly believe they have seen it whilst driving down old 335.

First of all, out of fairness, you must understand the area where this swamp devil has been supposedly seen. Huge knotted cypress trees are found growing everywhere. Very few people live in the area, and with the exception of 335, no roads run through there. Spooky animal sounds can be heard during the day and night. You get the idea....

According to legend, the Native Americans tribes living in the area had to battle the swamp devil for a couple of centuries, and when their magic no longer worked against him, they moved west into Illinois seeking a much holier place to live. The swamp devil is described as a large 9 or 10 foot creature (3 meters) with pointed ears, red-yellow glowing eyes and large leathery looking wings. Some describe the devil as hairy, while others say he has skin or scales. Nearly everyone says he is grayish in color. The locals will tell you some people have gone deaf from his shrieks and screams and those blood curdling screams can be heard for miles. He lives in the swamp feeding on fish and wild animals... or the occasional human who just might stray in his direction.

If you are driving along 335 late at night, and suddenly encounter a fog bank, you are probably in big trouble. The devil almost always appears in the fog, and many say their cars have stalled as the creature approached them, leaving them forced to take off running on foot, only to find deep claw marks scratched into their vehicle's paint upon their return.

I have several friends who tell me they have seen the swamp devil, and one even claimed to take a picture of it. I've seen the picture, but I couldn't decide if it was the swamp devil or perhaps a tree. What ever it was, it sure looked spooky, and you won't find me driving near that area. Not if I can help it.

Yikes!  :o  That sure is spooky, David! You wouldn't catch me driving on Route 335, night or day! No, sir!  ::)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2141 on: November 20, 2007, 08:29:29 pm »
I wish Most Haunted or Ghost Hunters would have a live vigil during Christmas. Christmas is a more haunted season than even Halloween. A lot of people don't know this, but it's true. At least this is what I've been told.

I think Most Haunted has a vigil during Christmas but it isn't aired here, which leaves Jason and Grant. I doubt they feel like chasing ghosts during Christmas though.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2142 on: November 20, 2007, 11:13:45 pm »

Well I was just off to bed, but now that you've scared the whatsits out of me, I've got to turn all the lights on and check out all the cupboards first!!

Love Susie 

Sorry about that Susie! I didn't mean to scare you.  :-*

You should check under the beds too, and under the kitchen sink. And the basement too! Oh, and don't forget the attic! Did you check the front and back yards? What about the porch?  ;)  :laugh:

{{{SUSIE}}} :-*  :-*

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #2143 on: November 21, 2007, 03:12:01 pm »

Just stopping by to say HAPPY THANKS GIVING.....have a wonderful holiday .... :-*

Beautiful mind

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2144 on: November 21, 2007, 11:21:02 pm »

Just stopping by to say HAPPY THANKS GIVING.....have a wonderful holiday .... :-*

I hope you have a wonderful holiday too, Janice! :D

injest

« Reply #2145 on: November 21, 2007, 11:35:26 pm »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2146 on: November 22, 2007, 12:02:24 am »
That there looks like a SPIRIT floating down the stairs!!  :o

Whoo! That's spooky looking Jess!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #2147 on: November 22, 2007, 07:43:33 am »

Happy Thanksgiving to you, David, and to all my lovely BetterMost chums!  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2148 on: November 23, 2007, 02:34:46 am »
Happy Thanksgiving to you, David, and to all my lovely BetterMost chums!  :D

Why thank you Kerry!

I'm not much of a Thanksgiving enthusiast, but I did barbeque hamburgers out on the grill tonight. They were quite good too (if I do say so myself) :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2149 on: November 24, 2007, 01:22:59 am »
Christmas in Indy

Tonight, the Soldiers and Sailors Monument was transformed into a 284 foot Christmas tree and lit as tens of thousands of Hoosiers watched. See some of the pictures from tonight's event here... http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,15135.0.html