Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2161627 times)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #2650 on: June 03, 2008, 07:52:22 pm »
David -- is Indianapolis in "Tornado Alley"? We are in it and also on the New Madrid Fault -- so our danger comes in earthquakes and mostly tornadoes.

I'm going to go look at the weather for Indianapolis and see what it's doing! I hope they passed you up.

There have been SO MANY tornadoes this spring so far.  :o
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2651 on: June 03, 2008, 07:55:51 pm »
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080603/NEWS/80603045

Yep -- they had one.

Let us know what went on in your neighborhood, David -- when you get power back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2652 on: June 03, 2008, 08:07:32 pm »
Thanks for your concern Richard and Shasta! I'm fine. That tornado today touched down a little bit southeast of me. So I never even saw it! :)

To answer your question Shasta, yes, Indiana has a very high frequency of tornadoes, just like Arkansas. April, May and June, along with September and October seem to be the active months for us - probably a bit earlier in the year for all of you in Arkansas! :)

Here's a map of tornado activity in the United States. The green and dark green areas indicate the trouble spots where tornadoes like to spawn.

Thanks for your concern guys! I appreciate it! :-*

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2653 on: June 03, 2008, 08:12:06 pm »
Yay! You didn't lose power, huh? I hate when that happens!  >:(

Glad all is well with you there.  :-* ;D

It's sunny and windy here. On my way home from work, I stopped to get gas (liquid gold)  :P and the wind was blowing so hard, I thought I was on the Great Plains!  :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2654 on: June 03, 2008, 08:14:44 pm »
Yay! You didn't lose power, huh? I hate when that happens!  >:(

Glad all is well with you there.  :-* ;D

It's sunny and windy here. On my way home from work, I stopped to get gas (liquid gold)  :P and the wind was blowing so hard, I thought I was on the Great Plains!  :)

Nope. We never lost our power. Some sections of the city DID lose it, but ours stayed on. Yeah, I hate it too when it happens Shasta, especially at night.

Liquid gold! :laugh:

I heard someone say on the news gas could hit $5.50/gallon by the end of the summer. I hope it's not true! :(

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2655 on: June 03, 2008, 08:37:43 pm »
Dave, I hope you got a bunker to go to in case of a tornado.  Could come in quite handy as a nuclear fallout shelter as well. They got nuclear silos nearby? My  friends in Kansas City, MO used to say if the tornadoes don't get us, the missiles will. The Day After took place in KC, MO. Remember that movie?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085404/

I saw the new Indiana Jones movie and he crawled into a refrigerator to survive a nuclear blast. Came out unharmed.  Boy, was that far-fetched.  :o

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2656 on: June 03, 2008, 08:48:30 pm »
Dave, I hope you got a bunker to go to in case of a tornado.  Could come in quite handy as a nuclear fallout shelter as well. They got nuclear silos nearby? My  friends in Kansas City, MO used to say if the tornadoes don't get us, the missiles will. The Day After took place in KC, MO. Remember that movie?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085404/

I saw the new Indiana Jones movie and he crawled into a refrigerator to survive a nuclear blast. Came out unharmed.  Boy, was that far-fetched.  :o

I'm watching a movie called The Day After Tomorrow (The one with Jake) right now! It's on FX! LOL I think I've also seen The Day After.

Well, I was born and raised in Indiana, so I'm very familiar with tornadoes. I just don't like it when they come at night, which seems to be the case most of the time around here. We can't see them coming, and by the time you hear the "freight train" sound, it's too late.

Nope, no bunkers around here that I know of. I have a basement and we go down there when tornadoes are in the area. Might be down there tonight too! More may be on the way later tonight and tomorrow. Hopefully there won't be any more of them.

Fingers crossed! :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2657 on: June 03, 2008, 09:41:13 pm »
Hey Shasta! Have you heard about all the gas stealing going on? They were talking about it on the news today. People are going up to parked cars, at night mostly, and snipping the fuel lines and stealing the gas! I have a locking gas cap on my car, but that's pretty bad when people are cutting fuel lines. So, not only did they steal your gas, but now you have to get a new fuel line too! >:(

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2658 on: June 03, 2008, 10:14:07 pm »
Hey Shasta! Have you heard about all the gas stealing going on? They were talking about it on the news today. People are going up to parked cars, at night mostly, and snipping the fuel lines and stealing the gas! I have a locking gas cap on my car, but that's pretty bad when people are cutting fuel lines. So, not only did they steal your gas, but now you have to get a new fuel line too! >:(

I hadn't heard about that one. I'd be plenty mad if someone cut my fuel line! Especially right after a fill-up!

Do you have a carport or a garage? I just have a carport, so my car is out there. Maybe the dogs would bark. I hope so.

I was talking to one of my friends today and she said her grandson and his wife had just bought a Hummer. OMG -- I don't know, but those look like gas guzzlers. If I were trading cars right now, I'd try to get one that got better gas mileage, not worse. She said that her son-in-law got a motorcycle -- that helps save gas.

I'm not kidding -- I don't see how an average family of four makes it. (Or especially a single parent home) Food and gas prices going up -- not too many pay raises. I can cut out things for me, but it's hard to skimp on your teenagers or your lilttle kids. I'm working part time jobs too.

We need a boost to the economy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2659 on: June 03, 2008, 11:29:06 pm »
I hadn't heard about that one. I'd be plenty mad if someone cut my fuel line! Especially right after a fill-up!

Do you have a carport or a garage? I just have a carport, so my car is out there. Maybe the dogs would bark. I hope so.

I was talking to one of my friends today and she said her grandson and his wife had just bought a Hummer. OMG -- I don't know, but those look like gas guzzlers. If I were trading cars right now, I'd try to get one that got better gas mileage, not worse. She said that her son-in-law got a motorcycle -- that helps save gas.

I'm not kidding -- I don't see how an average family of four makes it. (Or especially a single parent home) Food and gas prices going up -- not too many pay raises. I can cut out things for me, but it's hard to skimp on your teenagers or your lilttle kids. I'm working part time jobs too.

We need a boost to the economy.

Yes, we need a BIG boost to the economy!

I can't believe people are still buying those large vehicles. A neighbor of mine is thinking about buying a motorhome! I looked at her and said "ARE YOU NUTS?!!" She just shook her head and laughed. I'm driving a Honda and it gets about 36 MPH on the highway, and with gas at $4.00 a gallon, I'm not too thrilled. Even small cars are expensive to drive if you have to drive them frequently. Sheesh. :(