Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2162017 times)

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #2880 on: July 22, 2008, 01:11:36 pm »
Brother, here's hoping you are fine!
Atleast they have the animal and can tell one way or the other.
Take good care of you and let us know.
You are in my thoughts (well you are a lot of the time anyway!!)  ;)
Richard
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #2881 on: July 22, 2008, 01:37:25 pm »
Glad you got the shots!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2882 on: July 22, 2008, 09:24:19 pm »
Brother, here's hoping you are fine!
Atleast they have the animal and can tell one way or the other.
Take good care of you and let us know.
You are in my thoughts (well you are a lot of the time anyway!!)  ;)
Richard

Are you still seeing a lot of Indiana license plates down there Richard? Indiana is getting ready to invade Georgia! Didn't you know that? ;) :)

Actually I think everyone is getting ready to invade us pretty soon. We have a NASCAR race coming our way pretty soon I think. Lots and lots of people from the South show up for that. I'm not sure when the race is though. I don't pay much attention to those things. :D

Glad you got the shots!

Thanks Kelda! I'm glad I got them too. It was Jess who convinced me to do it. I haven't heard one DAMN thing back from my doctor nor the IDNR, so no news is good news, right? I'll try to call someone tomorrow and see if they found out anything new.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #2883 on: July 23, 2008, 10:58:50 am »
Gee, David! Here I am, popping up in your blog after a while and what do I have to read?
I'm happy you took the advice and got the shots!

I haven't heard one DAMN thing back from my doctor nor the IDNR, so no news is good news, right? I'll try to call someone tomorrow and see if they found out anything new.

Good luck and keep us posted sweetie :-*

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2884 on: July 23, 2008, 11:32:52 pm »
Thanks Chrissi!!!  :-* :-*

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2885 on: July 23, 2008, 11:43:06 pm »
I spoke with my doctor's office today. He wasn't available but I spoke with the nurse and she said they haven't heard anything from IDNR yet.

How long does it take to run these tests I wonder? I STILL don't understand why they have to cut off the head of the animal and pull out his brain in order to run the tests. If rabies is transmitted through the saliva, why can't they test the saliva and let the animal live? This has been bothering me. Fortunately with the raccoon, he was apparently already dead (at least that's what they told me) but I just don't understand why they have to cut the head off a living animal. And wouldn't it be a shame if, after they killed the animal they found out he was perfectly healthy! >:(

injest

« Reply #2886 on: July 24, 2008, 12:45:50 am »
I spoke with my doctor's office today. He wasn't available but I spoke with the nurse and she said they haven't heard anything from IDNR yet.

How long does it take to run these tests I wonder? I STILL don't understand why they have to cut off the head of the animal and pull out his brain in order to run the tests. If rabies is transmitted through the saliva, why can't they test the saliva and let the animal live? This has been bothering me. Fortunately with the raccoon, he was apparently already dead (at least that's what they told me) but I just don't understand why they have to cut the head off a living animal. And wouldn't it be a shame if, after they killed the animal they found out he was perfectly healthy! >:(

yeah, it would be a shame...but it would be a worse shame if the person that got bitten gets rabies and dies or is brain damaged for the rest of their lives

it is just a bad situation all around isnt' it?  :( :(

injest

« Reply #2887 on: July 24, 2008, 12:48:35 am »
but I dont' know why they can't test the saliva...

with domestic animals they can put them in quarantine for ten days so see if they show signs (I had to do that with a cat one time) and then the animal can go home is it doesn't develop symptoms. I guess they dont want to go to that trouble with wild animals...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2888 on: July 24, 2008, 12:50:46 am »
yeah, it would be a shame...but it would be a worse shame if the person that got bitten gets rabies and dies or is brain damaged for the rest of their lives

it is just a bad situation all around isnt' it?  :( :(

Yes it is, and it would be worse if the person died, but since the rabies lives in the saliva (according to wikipedia) why can't they test the saliva? It just seems to me this is some way of punishing the animal for biting someone. Now don't get me wrong, I realize there must be a reason they kill the animal and cut the head off. I'm not a doctor nor a scientist and I don't understand all the ifs, ands and buts of the situation.

I feel sorry for both parties. I don't feel sorry for ME though. I'm glad I dragged him off the road, but I should have worn gloves, so that was my fault. lol

injest

« Reply #2889 on: July 24, 2008, 12:56:41 am »
Yes it is, and it would be worse if the person died, but since the rabies lives in the saliva (according to wikipedia) why can't they test the saliva? It just seems to me this is some way of punishing the animal for biting someone. Now don't get me wrong, I realize there must be a reason they kill the animal and cut the head off. I'm not a doctor nor a scientist and I don't understand all the ifs, ands and buts of the situation.

I feel sorry for both parties. I don't feel sorry for ME though. I'm glad I dragged him off the road, but I should have worn gloves, so that was my fault. lol

yep, it is good to help when you can. I keep a towel in my trunk for just such a case!

;) ;)