Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2162248 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #3260 on: December 06, 2008, 09:51:14 pm »
Come to think of it, that really doesn't make sense either does it? A canoe is open air. It doesn't have a roof, so how could you climb OUT of it? It makes more sense to say you're getting OFF of it. :-\

We get OFF a raft. So why do we get OUT of a canoe? :laugh:

??? ???
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3261 on: December 06, 2008, 09:56:48 pm »
I've heard people say that someone "fell off the turnip truck"....or something like that. Don't ask me what that means. It's not the same as "falling off the wagon", tho.  :P

It means the same thing as "they weren't born yesterday". It means they are not ignorant. But I don't believe I've ever seen a turnip truck before! :laugh:

Here's some more weird things....

Tough (tuff)
Through (throo)
Thorough (thur-oh)

What's the deal with the gh at the end? It keeps changing sounds!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #3262 on: December 06, 2008, 10:15:54 pm »
Oh no, I can't watch it Chuck! I'm on dial-up!! :(

What did he say in it?

He's discussing the English language.

I'll transcibe some of it for ya.  Gimme a few minutes.  ;)

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

injest

« Reply #3263 on: December 06, 2008, 10:20:06 pm »
I think we say we are getting out of the car and the canoe because we are going up...when you get off a plane you are stepping down...

just my opinion...

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #3264 on: December 06, 2008, 10:35:34 pm »
He starts a routine about school and asking questions that can't be answered, and then he changes into our language.....here is near where the language comes in.

Part of the "transcription" will have spelling mistakes, because the only way to translate the humor will be to do it phonetically.

Why do they call them "cowboys", cows are girls, bulls are boys, they should be cowgirls and bullboys!

Why do they call a statue a bust when it ends just before the part it's named after?

Why do they call them "buildings" when they're already done building them?  Oughta call them "builts".

Why do they call it a "tv set" when you only get one?

Why do they call a woman's prison a "penial colony"?

Why should I be serious about our language, if it isn't serious enough to make sense?

Let's take the word 'bomb'.  B-O-M-B.  'bomb'.  Ok then, T-O-M-B, tom?  Nooooo..Tooom.  Ok  T-O-M-B, tooom, C-O-M-B, cooom?  Noooooo coam.  Ok  C-O-M-B, come, P-O-M-B, poem?  No, that's P-O-E-M.  Ok, P-O-E-M, poem, H-O-E-M, home?  No that's H-O-M-E.  Ok, H-O-M-E, home, S-O-M-E, soom?  No, that "sum".  Alrighty then, S-O-M-E "sum", N-O-M-E "numb?"  No that's N-U-M-B!!!!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3265 on: December 06, 2008, 10:47:09 pm »
I think we say we are getting out of the car and the canoe because we are going up...when you get off a plane you are stepping down...

just my opinion...

Not if they use a jetway!! You walk off. There are no steps. I know. I'm being nitpicky, aren't I? :-\

injest

« Reply #3266 on: December 06, 2008, 10:51:58 pm »
Not if they use a jetway!! You walk off. There are no steps. I know. I'm being nitpicky, aren't I? :-\

jetways are newfangled....everyone has gotten all used to using those terms from the 1700s! Give it another three, four hundred years and it will change..

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3267 on: December 06, 2008, 10:52:26 pm »
He starts a routine about school and asking questions that can't be answered, and then he changes into our language.....here is near where the language comes in.

Part of the "transcription" will have spelling mistakes, because the only way to translate the humor will be to do it phonetically.

Why do they call them "cowboys", cows are girls, bulls are boys, they should be cowgirls and bullboys!

Why do they call a statue a bust when it ends just before the part it's named after?

Why do they call them "buildings" when they're already done building them?  Oughta call them "builts".

Why do they call it a "tv set" when you only get one?

Why do they call a woman's prison a "penial colony"?

Why should I be serious about our language, if it isn't serious enough to make sense?

Let's take the word 'bomb'.  B-O-M-B.  'bomb'.  Ok then, T-O-M-B, tom?  Nooooo..Tooom.  Ok  T-O-M-B, tooom, C-O-M-B, cooom?  Noooooo coam.  Ok  C-O-M-B, come, P-O-M-B, poem?  No, that's P-O-E-M.  Ok, P-O-E-M, poem, H-O-E-M, home?  No that's H-O-M-E.  Ok, H-O-M-E, home, S-O-M-E, soom?  No, that "sum".  Alrighty then, S-O-M-E "sum", N-O-M-E "numb?"  No that's N-U-M-B!!!!

:laugh: :laugh:

I know, it's a crazy language!! There are so many examples.

Climb. Why is the I long and the b is silent? But if you take the C off, you get the word limb. But the I is no longer long. It's short. Why? I feel really sorry for people who must learn English as a second language. It must be awfully confusing. :P

Thanks for taking the time to type that out for me Chuck. I enjoyed it! :-*

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3268 on: December 06, 2008, 10:54:43 pm »
jetways are newfangled....everyone has gotten all used to using those terms from the 1700s! Give it another three, four hundred years and it will change..

Hmmm. That STILL doesn't explain why I get OFF a raft and OUT of a canoe!! ;) ;D

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #3269 on: December 06, 2008, 10:56:11 pm »
You're welcome, buddy!   ;D