Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2160989 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #3540 on: January 12, 2009, 07:45:54 pm »
(((((Fiona))))))

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3541 on: January 12, 2009, 08:43:34 pm »
David, I can't remember the last time I watched the Real World.

Eric from the very first season is on a new tv show now, "Confessions of a Teen Idol" on VH-1.

I've been watching the Teen Idol show. It's pretty good, but it has been sad a lot. Christopher Atkins has gotten the most positive feedback so far it seems. He is still very good looking despite the lines. But I think a lot of those guys look great---some are still quite young.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3542 on: January 12, 2009, 11:39:20 pm »
I did not realise that Canada has the same spelling as Great Britain.  I know I hate using spell check now.It is forever telling me to drop the U's and change the S's. Not only does America spell differently, but they use completely different words too. There are hundreds of them. Pavement/sidewalk. football/soccer, trolley/cart  panty hose/tights, pants/trousers on and on ad infinitum.

It leads to all sorts of confusion in our house,eg. did you mean English chips or fries or crisps. How can you have a world football match, when only America plays it. Not forgetting, how can you even call it football when feet go nowhere near a ball. ?

I need to go now, I can feel myself getting wound up !!!

(((FIONA)))

I know what you mean about the words. My ex was from England. He got mad at me one night when I told him to "get his fanny in bed". Gee WHIZ! I didn't know "fanny" meant something else in England. It means "butt" or "ass" here in the States. My Mother used to say that to me when I was five years old! :laugh:

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3543 on: January 12, 2009, 11:40:56 pm »
I've been watching the Teen Idol show. It's pretty good, but it has been sad a lot. Christopher Atkins has gotten the most positive feedback so far it seems. He is still very good looking despite the lines. But I think a lot of those guys look great---some are still quite young.

I haven't seen that show Shasta. What channel is it on?

I'm watching Intervention on A&E right now.

injest

« Reply #3544 on: January 13, 2009, 12:09:29 am »

injest

« Reply #3545 on: January 13, 2009, 12:13:30 am »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3546 on: January 13, 2009, 12:22:31 am »
Awww! Those are so cute! I love the little puppy down at the bottom!

Here's another one! :D

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3547 on: January 13, 2009, 12:23:52 am »
(((FIONA)))

I know what you mean about the words. My ex was from England. He got mad at me one night when I told him to "get his fanny in bed". Gee WHIZ! I didn't know "fanny" meant something else in England. It means "butt" or "ass" here in the States. My Mother used to say that to me when I was five years old! :laugh:

OMG!!  that is how I felt when one of the staff told me about her fanny bag. My jaw was on the floor. I wondered what the heck she was about to show me. Also the 2 finger gesture in England has 2 very different meanings. Fingers facing palms forward is peace, fingers the other way round means, F-ck off. Here both ways means peace.I nearly had heart failure when my kids came back doing that.

I am surprised still at some of the langauge barriers. In many ways it is worse than learning a foreign language, you expect that to be different. I thought American would be the same. Oh boy was I ever wrong.As for frigging, I cannot even begin to tell you what that means in England !!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3548 on: January 13, 2009, 12:31:34 am »
I wonder how it ended up becoming so different? I sometimes wonder about it. Maybe it has something to do with England and the US being separated by a huge ocean, and by the time modern transporation came around it was already too late to do anything about it.

But I know most Americans LOVE English accents. Australian accents too. And I've noticed many Americans beginning to spell things the British way... colour, neighbour, realise, etc.. Alex got me into the habit of using some of those spellings too. I still do it sometimes, until the spellchecker tries to correct me. :-\

Yeah, fanny is a totally innocent word here. Parents will say it to their five year olds. I had to laugh when you mentioned your employee's fanny pack! I can't imagine what must have been running through your mind at the time! :laugh:

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #3549 on: January 13, 2009, 04:19:27 pm »
OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!

The whole fanny convo here...... :laugh:

When I went to the UK to meet the Euro brokies in June last year, I was psyched.  At a dinner, I ended up sitting next to one of the women who always would "ping pong" back and forth with me, little vocal jabs here and there.

We started to do it at the table, and I turned to her and said:

"If you don't behave yourself, I'm going to slap your fanny!"

She looked at me lke this............. :o    The rest of the conversation was as follows:

Me:  Oh, what did I say?  What did I just say?

Her:  Well, what did you mean to say?

Me:  You know, your rear end, your "bum"....your fanny.

Her:   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:   Oh, ok....over here, "fanny' means the other side.

Me:   :o

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!