Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2162040 times)

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #3570 on: January 17, 2009, 10:50:06 pm »
I lived in South Florida for a couple of years. The Fort Lauderdale area. The thing about Florida is the houses are not built for cold weather. I remember in our house we only had a little wall heater in the bathroom and several other rooms. They do not sell heavy jackets and winter clothes in Florida. So when it gets cold down there, people REALLY ARE cold. That's what people up North don't understand about it. We had a really bad cold snap when I was living down there. I remember one day it was colder in Miami than in Juneau, Alaska. If I remember correctly, Miami was 34 F and Juneau was 38 or 39 F. Totally weird. And we were FREEZING.

Stay warm Fiona, and keep the water bottles filled with hot water. Hopefully this cold spell will end soon. ;)

It is still cold here, 36 the low tonight. We can turn the A.C on to heat, but the cost wth our current finances is not justified. It gets very cold inside as it is all pretty open. So to heat the family room you areheating the ktchen, sitting room, and dining room. PLus the ceilings are so high.So it's a hot water bottle, my daughters all in one PJ'S, complete with attached socks,and double comforters.
I must be careful, at this rate I am going to become an overnight sex symbol !!!

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #3571 on: January 18, 2009, 01:42:44 am »
Have you ever wondered where the expression "Sleep Tight" came from?

Well I know! :D

I learned it one day on a trip to Conner Prairie Farm!

http://www.connerprairie.org/

It's an old pioneer expression.

Back in the old days, way before box springs and space age memory mattresses, the beds had ropes, crossed threaded under the mattresses to hold them up. But ropes being what they are would soon stretch out of shape and therefore several times a week it was necessary to tighten them back up in order to keep the bed mattress from sagging down to the ground.

So, if you "slept tight" this would indicate you had slept on a mattress supported by freshly tightened ropes, firm and flat rather than a saggy mattress dipping down to the floor. :D

And Yes, there really is such a thing as bedbugs. :P  They bite and itch (very much like chiggers) and they can often be found in  mattresses and unlaundered bed clothes. So now you know what the expression "sleep tight and don't let the bedbugs bite"  means. 

We learn something new every day, don't we? ;)

I hear they have a lot of bedbugs in New York City........don't stay at the Hotel Carter. I never did, but it was right next door to the hotel I always stay in. From what I hear there are even more things to worry about there than bedbugs. It was rated the nastiest hotel in the United States.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3572 on: January 18, 2009, 01:44:26 am »
I wonder what else they have in there besides bedbugs? It sounds like a disgusting hotel. :P
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #3573 on: January 18, 2009, 01:45:30 am »
I will have been the moderator of the Polling Place for two years next month. But it's an easy forum to moderate. ODT is a huge forum and it really needs at least a couple of people. I really don't know how Jess managed it on her own for so long.

Thanks Chuck! :)

I would be willing to help as one of those moderators, but I don't think I will be asked  :laugh:

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3574 on: January 18, 2009, 01:47:05 am »
I once stayed in a hotel and the room smelled of cat pee and the air conditioner didn't work. You can just imagine how rank it smelled in there. I already knew they didn't give any refunds after check-in - it said so on the front desk, so I just left the key in my room and got the hell out of there. It was called the "Wooden Shoe Motel" and it was in Holland Michigan.

We ended up staying at the Holiday Inn Express just down the road. It was much MUCH better there.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3575 on: January 18, 2009, 01:48:10 am »
It is still cold here, 36 the low tonight. We can turn the A.C on to heat, but the cost wth our current finances is not justified. It gets very cold inside as it is all pretty open. So to heat the family room you areheating the ktchen, sitting room, and dining room. PLus the ceilings are so high.So it's a hot water bottle, my daughters all in one PJ'S, complete with attached socks,and double comforters.
I must be careful, at this rate I am going to become an overnight sex symbol !!!

{{{FIONA}}}

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #3576 on: January 18, 2009, 02:05:19 am »
I wonder what else they have in there besides bedbugs? It sounds like a disgusting hotel. :P

What about a body wrapped in plastic under the bed? That is what they found there not too long after the first time I ever heard of the place. It was right next door to the Westin where I stayed. I went into the lobby since it is a historical building. It was built as an elegant hotel back in the 20s or earlier as the Hotel Dixie. I think I even have a postcard of it back in its glory days. You can tell it was at one time that by the big chandeliers characteristic of that time period, but then they had disco lights around the lobby and the smell of the place was not good. It is too bad that someone has not gotten ahold of it to restore it to its original glory. I read where back when Times Square was in real bad shape that is was even used as a place for homeless people. I really do hate to see great places of the past end up like that.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3577 on: January 18, 2009, 03:46:30 am »
OMG Jack! They found a dead body in there? Yeah, that's pretty bad isn't it? Lots worse than the smell of cat piss, that's for sure. I hate to see those beautiful old buildings fall into ruin too. It seems to happen a lot in this country. We don't take care of those old historical buildings or we tear them down. Then we stand around and wonder why we don't have anything old and historical. ::)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #3578 on: January 18, 2009, 06:23:29 am »
I would be willing to help as one of those moderators, but I don't think I will be asked  :laugh:

Why would you not be asked? If you're interested PM Lynne.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #3579 on: January 18, 2009, 11:16:13 pm »
OMG Jack! They found a dead body in there? Yeah, that's pretty bad isn't it? Lots worse than the smell of cat piss, that's for sure. I hate to see those beautiful old buildings fall into ruin too. It seems to happen a lot in this country. We don't take care of those old historical buildings or we tear them down. Then we stand around and wonder why we don't have anything old and historical. ::)

Yeah they did......under the bed wrapped in plastic. I always find it a real shame to see these old historical buildings go into ruin or worse torn down. This hotel was one of New York City's grandest in the 30s from what I have read. Famous people stayed there, famous people entertained there, but supposedly in the 70s the hotel fell into ruin as many did during that time period. From there it has continually become worse to its present condition now. I always hope that historical buildings like this will somehow find themselves in someone's hands who will restore them to their former grandeur. They are worth it in my opinion.