Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2155808 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #4530 on: May 17, 2009, 01:12:09 am »
Here comes another scary story!

This place is just down the road from me. And I've been to it! Several times! It's a creepy old house, but I never really experienced anything in there except for the random chill up my back and perhaps the sensation of something unseen standing near me.

The Hannah House

Far removed from the slave-holding plantations of the south is a historic home in Indianapolis, Indiana called the Hannah House. But even here, in the northern states, the specter of slavery, and of the Underground Railroad, still manages to make itself known.

The house was built in 1858 by Alexander Moore Hannah, a prominent figure in Indiana history. Originally, the house had been constructed to house Hannah and his staff but at age 51, he married Elizabeth Jackson and another wing was added on for the servants.

Hannah was well-known in Indiana for his stand against slavery. It was a time of coming change in America where political opponents fiercely debated the question of slavery and President James Buchanan openly supported it. Hannah was a firm abolitionist and this is the reason his former home has such a reputation for being haunted.

The source of the haunting remained a mystery for some time. The stately mansion had seen few owners over the years and unlike most haunted houses, had seen little in the way of trauma or death... or so most people believed.

Hannah himself had owned the home until 1899, when his heirs sold the place to another family. Since that time, there have been reports of many strange things in the house, moving objects, phantom sounds -- and the unexplainable smell of death. Apparently, the Hannah House held a dark secret and one that would not be easily explained away by saying that one of the Hannah’s had returned to haunt the house. This secret was much darker -- and much more terrible.

The legends of the house say that prior to the outbreak of the Civil War, Hannah’s staunch abolitionist views had led him to allow the house to be used as a station on the Underground Railroad. Escaped slaves were brought into the house at night and given shelter until the following nightfall. Then, the Hannah’s would load the slaves into a wagon and they would be transported to the next station. We have to remember how dangerous this was, especially to a person of Hannah’s standing. This was a time when even assisting an injured runaway slave could be punishable by law.

Legend has it that one night, a lantern was overturned in the basement of the house and a number of slaves were trapped by the flames. Several of them burned to death. The fire did extensive damage to the basement and the lower floors of the house. While the fire was being put out, the source of the blaze had to be kept hidden and the fact that the house was an Underground Railroad station had to be covered up. Many believe that this this is the reason that no one knew the source of the haunting for so long. Or so it's thought. Like many other legends, no one has been able to verify that this event actually occurred. As with other alleged locations on the Underground Railroad, hard facts are difficult to find. Due to the secretive nature of the operation as a whole, no written records were kept and so we have only oral tales to pass along. If the fire never took place then the house has been haunted for decades for unknown reasons but one this is sure, it has a long history of being haunted.

For many years, investigators and past owners claimed that one of the upstairs rooms of the house would sometimes smell like gangrene and decay and this odor was attributed to the death of the slaves in the house. Many years ago, this earned the house the nickname of "the house that reeks of death" but according to current owners, the smell no longer manifests here. Was this simply a part of the lore of the house or did it really occur? According to past reports, the smell was unexplainably genuine but at least this part of the haunting seems to have faded away.

However, continuing phenomena includes the sounds of moaning and whining and it has also been said that doors in the house suddenly open and close by themselves. Cold drafts are also sometimes felt when no windows are open to cause them.

The secrets that remain at Hannah House are certainly dark ones, and be the haunting a conscious or a residual one, it still continues to plague the curators of this historic mansion today.

Indianapolis is located in the center of the state and the Hannah House can be found at the comer of National and Madison Avenue.

http://www.prairieghosts.com/hannah.html

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4531 on: May 17, 2009, 11:19:06 pm »
Or the concession stand. It doesn't HAVE to be the bathroom. But you know when you first walk back into the theater and you can't see a damn thing.

I'm certain it has happened to other people too. :-\

Yep, been there done that, even on one occasion going to sit with the wrong family and to make matters worse, sitting and eating their popcorn. No one said a word and as my eyes adapted to the dark and I saw what I had done,I was mortified.There is just no way you can exit gracefully.
Not only that, I have stood cursing in the car park when my key fob would not open someone elses car. Walked out of a theater hand in hand with the wrong guy.Oh I can feel myself getting all hot and bothered again, just thinking of it. I have strolled  round the supermarket putting my groceries in someone elses cart.
You name it, if it comes under the category of make a complete twit of yourself, it is a pretty safe bet I have done it. :)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 11:32:27 pm by David In Indy »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4532 on: May 17, 2009, 11:43:38 pm »
That's really funny Fiona, because everything you've listed up there I've done too, except for holding the wrong guy's hand. :laugh:

I'm beginning to think you and I are very much alike! :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4533 on: May 18, 2009, 01:46:17 am »
Man, there is nothing going on here tonight! NOTHING.

N.O.T.H.I.N.G

Everyone logged off too early. :P

There's only been 3 posts in the past two hours... and one of them was MINE! Well, here in a second it will be four just as quick as I press the post button. :-\

Ya'll are party poopers! Where you at?? >:(

I'm particularly upset with Jess because she wasn't here last night. She was seeing Ennis. >:(

And then tonight she logged off early.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #4534 on: May 18, 2009, 04:37:28 am »
Jess saw Ennis?!?
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

injest

« Reply #4535 on: May 18, 2009, 07:08:09 am »
Man, there is nothing going on here tonight! NOTHING.

N.O.T.H.I.N.G

Everyone logged off too early. :P

There's only been 3 posts in the past two hours... and one of them was MINE! Well, here in a second it will be four just as quick as I press the post button. :-\

I'm particularly upset with Jess because she wasn't here last night. She was seeing Ennis. >:(

And then tonight she logged off early.

:( :( :(

I was TIRED!! it was a long weekend!

:'( :'(

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #4536 on: May 18, 2009, 07:16:32 am »

I was here!  Really.....I was!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #4537 on: May 18, 2009, 08:02:15 am »
Or the concession stand. It doesn't HAVE to be the bathroom. But you know when you first walk back into the theater and you can't see a damn thing.

I'm certain it has happened to other people too. :-\

My hubby and I got to a movie late one time, and went into the theatre after the lights were down, and couldnt see a thing.....so thinking the theatre was crowded we took the first two seats together we could find......when the lights came on at interval, there were only about 10 other people in there.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4538 on: May 18, 2009, 12:34:07 pm »
That's really funny Fiona, because everything you've listed up there I've done too, except for holding the wrong guy's hand. :laugh:

I'm beginning to think you and I are very much alike! :D

Uh oh, you do realise that makes you as scatty, hairbrained and just plain daft as me. ;D
My kids are pretty used to my little foibles now. It comes as no surprise when the bandaid are in the fridge along with my cigarettes and the sausages are in my purse.
They drew the line at my underwear in the freezer, yes it was clean, no I have no idea why it was there. I can only assume I had picked it up to put away, then descided I needed to get something out  the freezer for dinner. As for my cell phone, well we wont even go there. !!! ;D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4539 on: May 19, 2009, 12:37:26 am »
Uh oh, you do realise that makes you as scatty, hairbrained and just plain daft as me. ;D
My kids are pretty used to my little foibles now. It comes as no surprise when the bandaid are in the fridge along with my cigarettes and the sausages are in my purse.
They drew the line at my underwear in the freezer, yes it was clean, no I have no idea why it was there. I can only assume I had picked it up to put away, then descided I needed to get something out  the freezer for dinner. As for my cell phone, well we wont even go there. !!! ;D

Want to hear what I did today? >:(  ::)

It was a beautiful day here, about 68 degrees outside and sunny so I opened up some of the windows to let in the breeze. Suddenly a few minutes later I started sneezing really bad and when I went back downstairs there was a bunch of pollen blowing through the window. I suffer from hay fever. It never occured to me to make sure I had screens in the window first, or better yet just leave the damn things closed.

I'll bet I've sneezed a hundred times today. I'm still doing it. :P