Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2618781 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #4080 on: March 06, 2008, 09:40:41 pm »
When I began the second grade in the fall of 1970 my parents were upset because I was going to have an African American teacher. I do not remember them having any qualms about me attending an intergrated school, as my sisters had attended segregated schools, but this was going to be a person of a different race teaching me.

That is not the best intro I could have put on this story. But I swear it is true, and has nothing to do with Mrs. Cooke's race. She was a good person, underpaid and having to put up with a lot of crap from us kids. She brought a bell with her to class to ring when we got out of hand. It was ceramic, and a memento of she and her husbands 25th wedding anniversary. The clapper fell out of it the first week as it was not really designed to be functional.

Mrs. Cooke taught us to write cursive. She wrote out each of our names in cursive on a sheet of construction paper and taped it to our desk tops. We practiced many hours our names. We were not allowed to print past a certain point, even if that was what we felt called to do.

She also taught us history. Particularly about Abraham Lincoln and George Washington. Not only did these two presidents live at the same time in her world, but they were neighbors and good friends. Once, she told us, Abe borrowed George's Bible to read and you know what happened. Abe was poor and lived in a cabin with a shingle roof and it rained and got the Bible wet and ruined it and he had to work for a year to earn enough money to buy George another one. I can see her now, the school supply store sillouittes of the two on the bulletin board, she motioning with her hands as she described the love and devotion one man felt for another.  :D Yeah.

Perhaps it was a parable she was assigning recognizable names too. Names like tuberculosis. We could get that by chewing up note book paper to make spit balls. Notebook paper she said contained "two germs" that caused TB and if we chewed notebook paper we would get TB.

My parents found other things to occupy their imaginations in time.

I smile now when I think of her.  ;)
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

injest

« Reply #4081 on: March 07, 2008, 10:03:50 pm »
Truman, you remember that thread I had a while back? "Twisted" lyrics?

found this one today....who me? Snooping? no way!!

My Lil Darlin is a Firecracker

When I look in his eyes
It aint no surprise
Sparks start a flyin like the 4th of July

He gets me so hot, my heart starts a pumpin
When we get to kissin, there aint no stoppin'

When it comes to love
he aint no slacker
My little darlin is a firecracker

When I light the fuse
I gotta get back quick
You gotta be careful with a dynamite stick

Son of a gun he's fun to handle
And he packs a punch like a roman candle
he's a pack of black cats in a red paper wrapper

Chorus:
We might not ought to take a roll in the hay
Cause we'll burn the barn down one of these days
We're a match made in heaven
And it aint no joke.
But Id sure I hate to see it go up in smoke

We got a good thing going
And it feels so right
hes a firecracker
hes the light of my life.

he goes off with a great big BANG
Boys I tell ya its a beautiful thing
he takes off you better hang on tight

hes a blonde bottle rocket
In the middle of the night

When he makes love hes a Heart attacker
My little darlin is a Firecracker

Chrous:
Cause we'd burn the barn down one of these days
Were a match made in heaven
And it aint no joke.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #4082 on: March 07, 2008, 10:34:02 pm »
I love that Song! And Josh Turner... WOW WEEEEEEEE!
He's hotter N a whore house on dollar day!!

When I look in his eyes
It aint no surprise

He gets me so hot, my heart starts a pumpin
When we get to kissin, there aint no stoppin'

When it comes to love
he aint no slacker

When I light the fuse
I gotta get back quick
You gotta be careful with a dynamite stick

Son of a gun he's fun to handle
And he packs a punch like a roman candle
he's a pack of black cats in a red paper wrapper

Chorus:
Cause we'll burn the barn down one of these days
We're a match made in heaven
And it aint no joke.

We got a good thing going
And it feels so right
hes a firecracker
hes the light of my life.

he goes off with a great big BANG
Boys I tell ya its a beautiful thing
he takes off you better hang on tight

hes a blonde bottle rocket
In the middle of the night

When he makes love hes a Heart attacker
My little darlin is a Firecracker

Chrous:
Cause we'd burn the barn down one of these days
Were a match made in heaven
And it aint no joke.

"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #4083 on: March 08, 2008, 12:38:42 pm »
Josh Turner is GREAT!!! He sure can make his voice deep too. Have you heard that song "Long Black Train?"

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #4084 on: March 08, 2008, 02:43:18 pm »
Josh Turner is GREAT!!! He sure can make his voice deep too. Have you heard that song "Long Black Train?"

Yeah, that was the first song of his I ever heard!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4085 on: March 08, 2008, 04:13:06 pm »

When I look in his eyes
It aint no surprise

Sure do,  ;D thanks for sharing.

I wish I could write me some songs.  ;)

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4086 on: March 08, 2008, 04:45:35 pm »
Yesterday evening I got to go to an exhibit of paintings by the American Portrait Artist Nick Hufford (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicodemus_David_Hufford_III) at my local Arts Center (http://www.piedmontarts.org/)

The event had been organized by my friend Bill, who had been a friend of Hufford for many years. (Hufford was straight, BTW, but not narrow.) Bill had two paintings in his possession by Hufford, one of his mother and one of a woman that I swear he once told me was his sister, but I will get to that.

Hufford had lived in my area for many years and had painted the portraits of most every important person in town. It was quiet the status symbol to have your painting done by him. Bill contacted the families and in some cases the individuals and asked for them to loan them for the retrospective. I first learned about it recently when the curator called the office to ask to borrow our moving van to pick them all up. There was a reception for them the night before and last night was the opening.

So I step into the lobby and pick up on the vibe, the presence of old money, and retire my jacket and umbrella to the coat closet. Up the steps to the box mezzanine I am confronted with the large portrait of a well known local car dealer, golden in the fall sunlight of 1973. The clothers and the hair so perfect, another of a local business leader in the middle of a stream fishing and then there is Bill, my friend.

He is a small unassuming man, about 5ft. 5 in., 66 years old you would never know to look at him that his life had carried him to some of the most exciting situations of the late 20th century. There he stood in front of his late mothers portrait, beaming, flanked by a newspaper article about the the painting of the portrait in which Hufford appears with the unfinished work, and on the otherside, the pink dress Vickey wore, hanging, wrinkle free, from a form approximating a human. Greeting each person individually, smiling and shaking hands, he knew every single person no doubt.

Beyond him a few more steps to the main gallery, the walls covered with the faces of people I know or knew or met once. The portrait of the Trent woman that looks so much like Princess Diana I have always thought. Each of them labled as to who they are, who loaned it, which office it hangs in. All around until you get to the end where the lovely unknown woman that in my mind had been Bill's sister smiles like Audrey Hepburn on a summer evening. Her hair up, her neck ensconced with diamonds, her evening gown accentuated by her gloves. Unfinished in detail at the bottom. The card next to it read: Woman in New York, late 1960s. When Bill came by he was asked about it. "Everyone thinks its my sister"  he told us "but I don't know who she is." Ah, the unknown woman, where is the pool table?

Bill said Hufford had given him the portrait years ago after the woman's physician husband had paid him $10,000 for it and then never came to pick it up because....by the time it was "finished" so was the marriage. The good doctor had left his wife in favor of his mistress.

So perhaps somewhere in the world there is an aging socialite recalling sitting for a portrait that she never saw, does not know what became of, has no idea she looks out, serenely and confidently and forever young over the white formal living room of my friend Bill, which used to be his parents carport. Next time I go by to consume a bottle of white whine with him we'll have to have a toast to her, and all the unknowns that populate our world and memory.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #4087 on: March 09, 2008, 10:49:05 am »
I've always loved the story behind the paintings you see at art exhibitions. It seems to me it gives life to them. On Wednesday I went to see an exhibit of paintings by Amedeo Modigliani. Ever heard of him? He was an Italian painter who lived in Paris, and died there rather young. He was very good friends with several important artist including Picasso himself. Modigliani led a bohemian yet tragic life, being hooked on drugs and alcohol and all that. The people featured in his portraits have this tragic look that sort of makes you think about his life. He died poor and miserable, and only got to see one exhibit of his work while alive. His work became famous posthumously, and now are worth several millions of dollars. I can't post any picture of him because they're copyrighted. I tried and photobucket didn't let me. But here's the wikipedia entry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amedeo_Modigliani
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 01:24:09 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #4088 on: March 09, 2008, 12:02:29 pm »
Yeah, that was the first song of his I ever heard!

I'm not sure how many CDs he has, but I have the one with Firecracker on it and the one with Long Black Train. They're both great.

injest

« Reply #4089 on: March 11, 2008, 03:04:34 pm »
for Mrs. Kern....a little 'twisted' song:

Hello Mrs Kern you self righteous woman
Sunday School teacher what brings you out slummin'
Do you reckon the preacher would approve where you are
Standing here vis'tin' with a back slidin' christian in a neighborhood bar
Well yes that's my bottle and yes that's my glass
And I see you're eye balling this handsome young man
It ain't none of your business but yes he's with me
And we don't need no sermon you self righteous woman just let us be