Author Topic: Was: Laramie Tales: New Working Title: Tales of Greenlea County (ARCHIVE)  (Read 537789 times)

yb

Re: Was: Laramie Tales: New Working Title: Tales of Greenlea County
« Reply #2000 on: July 07, 2007, 12:12:58 pm »
Louise, you know I enjoy your writing as ever.  But ... honestly, I'm getting quite fed up with the nasty attitudes Ellery and the others have towards Jeeves.  I surely hope things will turn around in the future.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #2001 on: July 07, 2007, 12:20:26 pm »

He is a foreigner, and rural Americans are not known for their international multiculturalism.  Besides, Jeeves has scored a few moral points against several people in the story and has made his way despite their prickliness.  And this isn't Ellery's story anyway.  If Ellery were really concerned about a problem with Chas he might have had him arrested or ordered out of the bar, but he didn't.  He sees Chas as a minor annoyance in a world of major annoyances.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

yb

« Reply #2002 on: July 07, 2007, 12:31:14 pm »

He is a foreigner, and rural Americans are not known for their international multiculturalism. 

I had thought about this, but it's still quite annoying.  I don't really care about Simon, Dupree etc, but Ellery and Colson are at a different level to me, so I hope they will be more receptive of Jeeves.  Yeah, not really rational thinking, I know!  Enough of rants here, I'll surely wait to see how this story develops.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2003 on: July 07, 2007, 01:16:54 pm »

If it is any comfort, Jeeves being in a position of hero may win him some grudging respect, at least from the people whose opinions matter.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2004 on: July 07, 2007, 02:07:36 pm »

If it is any comfort, Jeeves being in a position of hero may win him some grudging respect, at least from the people whose opinions matter.

I think Jeeves and Ellery have the potential to become good friends if they get over their respectives egos. They're somewhat alike: rich, educated, arrogant and a pain in the ass. I like Ellery but I have to admit that he can be rather arrogant when he wants to. However, underneath, they're both loving men who really care about their friends and lovers.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2005 on: July 07, 2007, 02:34:07 pm »
I think Jeeves and Ellery have the potential to become good friends if they get over their respectives egos. They're somewhat alike: rich, educated, arrogant and a pain in the ass. I like Ellery but I have to admit that he can be rather arrogant when he wants to. However, underneath, they're both loving men who really care about their friends and lovers.

Excellent insight! I kind of expected that, because this is his story, that Jeeves would turn out to be the hero, but I also hope he finds some personal happiness.  Finding a good partner (good riddance to the awful Jerry!) will go a long way in helping him adjust to his environment. He's kind of a fish out of water and that may account for why he's sometimes so condescending to some of the bar patrons and employees (poor Nate!) and that may account for some of the nasty attitudes he's had thrown back at him.  But I really like Jeeves - he's shown no small amount of courage and a fine code of honor.  Not to mention a lot of smarts.  And, yes, he is a decent, loving man with a lot to offer the right person. 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2006 on: July 07, 2007, 07:32:17 pm »
*nods sagely*

yes, Jeevesy and Ellery are two versions of a simiilar personality, both of them trying to do their small service to gay humanity in their own manner, and that is exactly why they clash.

yb

« Reply #2007 on: July 07, 2007, 08:04:51 pm »
I guess because I have accepted Jeeves not long after he made his appearance in the book, and I have loved Ellery and Colson for so long, that's why it was disappointing to see them treat Jeeves like that.  I agree the Ellery and Jeeves' comparison is right, I only hope when they understand each other more, they could at least get along.

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #2008 on: July 08, 2007, 04:59:55 am »
OK I'm back.

I notice some of you are missing some nookie action in recent episodes so here is a little erotic boost for those of you who like slender guys with long hair. It is a scene from the film Alexander in which the A the Great's Persian lover dances for his man (courtesy Youtube)

Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2009 on: July 08, 2007, 05:32:48 am »
Welcome back Jo!!!

Missing nookie action?  Aren't the best things in life worth waiting for? 

Thanks for that Utube though - I had never gone to see "Alexander" mainly because I think Colin Farrell is about as sexy as a balance sheet.  And the nose on that Bagoas character!

anyway, on to the next thrilling chapter of 'The Chesterfield Fortune!' only on Bettermost!