Author Topic: Research at IU: The Brokeback Phenomenon - So there really are gay cowboys?  (Read 4810 times)

Offline amh

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • C'mere, baby.
A friend of mine who goes to Indiana University just sent me this link, it's pretty interesting:

http://research.iu.edu/news/stories/0053_brokeback.html

The Brokeback Phenomenon

So there really are gay cowboys?

Brokeback Mountain , the movie nominated for eight Academy Awards this month including “Best Picture,” has clearly captured the imagination of the American viewing public. But a gender studies professor at Indiana University Bloomington says he's “astounded” that people are so surprised by the idea of homosexuality and same-sex desire in a rural or non-metropolitan setting.

Colin Johnson, an assistant professor of gender studies and adjunct assistant professor in American studies and history at Indiana University Bloomington, says, “I mean just think about it. ‘Urban' experience, as we understand it, is certainly the exception rather than the rule where human history is concerned. Moreover, heterosociality—which is to say the unexceptional and everyday intermingling of women and men—is also relatively new in many societies. Why, then, should it come as any surprise to anyone that there is a long tradition of same-sex sexual behavior among sex-segregated worker populations in rural settings?”

Johnson's research focuses on the history of gender and sexuality in non-metropolitan areas. He is currently completing a book manuscript on the history of homosexuality in rural America . He says Brokeback Mountain has taken Americans by surprise and captured their imaginations partly because the left and the right have “gone out of their way to represent homosexuality as an urban phenomenon—the left because it makes sexual ‘liberation' seem modern and sophisticated and the right for precisely the same reasons, though to entirely different ends.”

Johnson, who also has an interest in film and media, says Brokeback Mountain does ask a number of other interesting questions, particularly about the history of manhood and masculinity in the most general sense. “I think it asks us how and why intimacy between men—whether emotional or physical—has come to seem so unthinkable outside of a strict heterosexual/homosexual binary. I also think it asks us to consider how extensive homophobia's damaging effects actually are.”

Ennis and Jack aren't the only characters who suffer in Brokeback Mountain because there isn't a place for intimacy and desire between men, Johnson says. On some level, their wives and children end up suffering along with them.

“I certainly don't think we should read this aspect of (director Ang) Lee's film as a condemnation of Ennis and Jack's feelings and choices,” he says. “But I do think that it reminds us that affairs of the heart are sufficiently complicated that strict adherence to social convention will rarely cure what ails them, yet will, more often than not, end up producing all sorts of collateral damage.”

For more IU Bloomington perspectives on the Brokeback Mountain phenomenon, including the politics of sexuality, challenges facing gay youth living in rural America , and the heterosexual male's attitudes toward gay concerns, go to http://newsinfo.iu.edu/tips/page/normal/2929.html .

Colin Johnson wrote an opinion piece about Brokeback Mountain for the Chronicle of Higher Education. It can be accessed at http://chronicle.com/weekly/v52/i19/19b01501.htm . (Registration required.)

Johnson is one of several new faculty members to join IU Bloomington's Department of Gender Studies, which has launched the first gender studies (as distinct from women's studies) doctorate in the nation. The first doctoral students are expected to be admitted this fall. To learn more about gender studies at IU Bloomington go to http://www.indiana.edu/~gender/html/ .
:-* This ain't no rodeo, cowboy.

TJ

Oh, I know that there are real cowboys who are definitely openly gay and many of them belong to a chapter of the International Gay Rodeo Association (IGRA). I even personally know some of them, too.

It seems that most of the members of the Sooner State Rodeo Association, aka SSRA (an IGRA group), are real cowboys, too. A former President of SSRA lives on a Ranch in Osage County in NE Oklahoma. I used to be a member of SSRA; but, I dropped out because I could not get to monthly meetings on the north side of Tulsa on Sunday Evenings. 

http://www.soonerstaterodeo.com/

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Article from True West Magazine
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 06:53:17 pm »
I'm reading an interesting article from this magazine that backs up this assertion. This is one of the genre of magazines that Annie Proulx used to write for when she was starting out. Most of the western magazines I perused at the library totally ignored Brokeback Mountain but True West had quite an extensive article.

They quote Kinsey: "'These are men who have faced the rigors of nature in the wild. They live on realities and on a minimum of theory. Such a background breeds the attitude that sex is sex, irrespective of the nature of the partner with whom the relation is had. Sexual relations are had with women when they are available, or with other men when the oudoor routines bring men together in exclusively male groups.'"

Remind you of anybody?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

TJ

But, from things that I have read and also heard, in reference to cowboys and sex where no women were around, many of the guys used their escape to the rugged life of the Old West to get away from being pressured into getting married since they weren't comfortable around women to begin with.

One of my paternal grandfather's brothers went to Alaska to escape from being pressured by family into marrying a woman. While he was sociable with women, plural, he was not comfortable in a dating situation. My mother met him not too long after she married Dad.

His job up there was to deliver the mail along the Tanana river that went from beyond Fairbanks to the Yukon River.

I have a copy of the pic where he is standing side by side with Grandad and I think that I could have passed for the son of the uncle. Dad and Grandad had the Doty nose which was like a "Roman Nose;" but, the uncle and I have/had the same kind of nose and the same basic face shape and body build.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Interesting, TJ. I would like to see that picture if you would care to share it.

TJ

I don't have a computer copy of my grandad and his brother, my great-uncle, in my computer. Sorry.

Offline CoyotePiper

• Sr. Ranch Hand
You bet ...there are gay cowboys
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 11:37:55 pm »

A few years ago me and my bud did a road trip through South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho. We had a copy of Bob Damron's Guide and we hit every gay saloon along the way. (As well as most of the  str8 joints as the both of us go for str8 guys too.)  ;D

Let me assure you there are plenty of gay cowboys in the West. The watering holes ain't that easy to find and in fact often look closed. Many times we had to find the back door.

However once inside we were always welcomed and just about always recognized as strangers. We usually got little gifts like key chains and pens and had to constantly fend off offers to play pin ball and pool. I still have a list of one gay dude ranch  and a terrific primitive gay camping spot provided by those friendly cowboys.

Great Falls and Missoula Mt were the two towns I remember best. I met the hunkiest blacksmith in the West in Missoula and hung out with that dude for 2 days. To this day I kick myself for not keeping his number.

So although gay cowboys are kinda hidden in the West, it is easy to tap into the culture if you know where to look.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 12:38:24 am by CoyotePiper »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: You bet ...there are gay cowboys
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 11:57:49 am »
A few years ago me and my bud did a road trip through South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho. We had a copy of Bob Damron's Guide and we hit every gay saloon along the way. (As well as most of the  str8 joints as the both of us go for str8 guys too.)  ;D

Let me assure you there are plenty of gay cowboys in the West. The watering holes ain't that easy to find and in fact often look closed. Many times we had to find the back door.

However once inside we were always welcomed and just about always recognized as strangers. We usually got little gifts like key chains and pens and had to constantly fend off offers to play pin ball and pool. I still have a list of one gay dude ranch  and a terrific primitive gay camping spot provided by those friendly cowboys.

Great Falls and Missoula Mt were the two towns I remember best. I met the hunkiest blacksmith in the West in Missoula and hung out with that dude for 2 days. To this day I kick myself for not keeping his number.

So although gay cowboys are kinda hidden in the West, it is easy to tap into the culture if you know where to look.

Now, that was really nice to read that people were so hospitable to you on your travels. Made me feel good to read it, and I ain't  jokin'.

(You should have kept the blacksmith's number.  ;) )
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Resurecting this topic!