Author Topic: U.S. Withdrawing from Iraq?  (Read 3147 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
U.S. Withdrawing from Iraq?
« on: May 20, 2007, 01:07:00 am »
With Tony Blair stepping down, his replacement anxious to withdraw from Iraq and the Democrats in the US pressing for withdrawal of US forces, do you think it would be a positive move for the U.S. to leave Iraq to its own?

injest

Re: U.S. Withdrawing from Iraq?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 10:29:10 am »
well I voted no, only because I think it would be hard to withdraw them without a massive slaughter...I mean, not everyone can leave at the same time..and the fewer troops the easier a target they are. I DO want them out but I don't know how it would work...

What a mess he has gotten us into....

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 01:41:16 pm »
I vote for 'no' as well.

Despite the fact that the U.S. went to Iraq under mistaken intelligence, I feel that it is our responsibility now to stay and try to clean up our mess as much as possible.  It is difficult, costs more lives and is expensive, but I don't think that leaving right now is the answer.

Historically when an occupation type force (think Vietnam) leaves, invariably things are worse.  In the void left is a time for paybacks, petty revenges and criminal activity.

I think we should stay.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 01:19:38 am »
I wish there was a "maybe" or "other" choice on the poll.

Now that we are there, we need to stay and fix all the damage we have done to Iraq.

We should have never gone in. I was called ANTI AMERICAN for saying this way back before the war started.

I was worried this war would cause the Shia and Sunni to fight against each other. But I never suspected our government would actually LIE to us.

This war is CRIMINAL, but since we've already gone in, we need to fix it and then leave.... in a hurry.  >:(
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 01:35:12 am »
A sudden and complete withdrawal now would be even more criminal than having gone in the first place. It would leave the country in a shambles, without the necessary footing to go forward, thereby leaving them open to attack by Iran, Civil war between Muslim factions, and total economic, political and fiscal chaos.  The price of which would be paid by the civilian population and for which we would be totally and undeniably responsible.

I believe we need to aid in the setting up of elections and local governments, in the re-establishment of the financial and civil infrastructure, the reestablishment of trade, tourism and in the rounding up of all enemies of the state and radical insurgents.  Once that is achieved I think a controlled pull out is needed with the local governments slowly taking over more and more of the duties and services provided by our military.   This may take upwards of 5 years to complete but at least we would leave Iraq a better place than we found it.
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 01:43:38 am »
Ooops!

There was another option. UNSURE.

God David, read the choices before you vote!!  ::)

Scott6373

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 08:10:21 am »
Unfortunately, because we created most of this mess, we are obliged to clean it up.  That's not going to be easy, nor can it happen overnight.  I pray soon though. 

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 12:16:17 am »
Unfortunately, because we created most of this mess, we are obliged to clean it up.  That's not going to be easy, nor can it happen overnight.  I pray soon though. 

And now Lebanon is going up in flames again. Suicide bombs in Ankara too. God only knows what else. People say this has nothing to do with the war in Iraq. But I beg to differ.