Author Topic: Would it have worked? Merged with "Would a SWEET LIFE ever have been possible?"  (Read 52096 times)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
I kind of breezed over this in my earlier posts, but the more I think about it the more I realize that the day-to-day homophobia would be really hard for Ennis (and maybe even Jack) to deal with.

We are positing some kind of transformation, I guess, that would enable Ennis to agree to the plan in the first place. But it's hard to imagine him developing a thick enough skin to stand being, as Earl and Rich were, "the joke of town." I think the potential looks, whispers, laughing, harassment, physical abuse (even if it stopped short of horrific violence) or whatever would be hard for anyone to face, day after day, year after year. Let alone someone who's kind of proud and private and shy, like Ennis. Or would he having to constantly beat people up, as with the bikers?

In that respect, they'd be better off in Denver. But there they'd have an employment problem. Ennis could probably get some kind of untrained job, but he wouldn't be happy working off a ranch for very long (judging from his expression in the pavement-spreading scene). Jack, however, could work in sales, and that might be OK for him.

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
In that respect, they'd be better off in Denver. But there they'd have an employment problem. Ennis could probably get some kind of untrained job, but he wouldn't be happy working off a ranch for very long (judging from his expression in the pavement-spreading scene). Jack, however, could work in sales, and that might be OK for him.

City life would be really rough on Ennis, I think. I mean -- he didn't finish high school. He's farsighted enough that he doesn't enjoy reading. And he loves animals -- I mean, what's the third thing he calls "little darling" in the book, besides his daughters and Jack? So no horses, no daughters, construction work, friggin lights and car horns going the whole damn night (oops, I'm projecting a bit here). So I could see Ennis living with Jack in the city (and Jack would totally be working in sales ;D ), and still being in love with Jack, and also being really profoundly sad about the other things he had to give up.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline serious crayons

All things considered, I really think their best bet might have been for Jack to buy a house near Riverton. That way they could be together a lot -- seemingly as "friends," hanging out -- but Ennis could still keep his job, his daughters and hopefully his peace of mind.

Does this sound too spineless or timid of me? In an ideal world, it would be nice if they could boldly assert their right to live and love the way they want to, and hopefully break down some prejudices along the way. But that's a tough way to live, especially for a guy like Ennis. This seems to me the best way to overcome the difficulties mentioned in the posts above while still enjoying a pretty sweet life.

:-\

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Hey, I'm in Denver, and I'm in sales  8)!! Jack could commute an hour or so (he's used to commutin) from the Castle Rock area, there are plenty of horse ranches and little cow&calf operations down there! Hey, we could make this work!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
(and Jack would totally be working in sales ;D )

Used cars?  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
Hey, no hogging Jack, Lee. ;D

They can live down here with me. There's a ranch across the road that could use a new foreman. ;D

(Wanna wrestle for them? ;D )

(Jeff: ;D The scary thing is, there's an unwritten BBM AU fanfic in the back of my head in which Jack and Ennis end up in Denver... and Jack's a used car salesman. It's been in my head since January.  :o )

Scott6373

Used cars?  ;D

Oh Lord...Read "Somebody New", used truck salesman!!!

Offline serious crayons

Hey, no hogging Jack, Lee. ;D

They can live down here with me. There's a ranch across the road that could use a new foreman. ;D

Nah. I really think they'd be happiest in Chicago. Because, um, well ... wait a minute -- even I'm not that happy in Chicago!

;D

(Apologies to all Chicago residents; nothing against the city, but I'm still new here and having transition issues.)

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
I think the rule has to be: you can keep Jack and Ennis if you want. Just, whatever you do, don't make them live in the closet. Enough with the damn closet.

Scott6373

It WOULD work if Jack became a female impersonator doing shows in the Vegas strip.  That way, Ennis and he could go out to dinner in public :)